Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Expansion equals recession... wait what? (pics)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
Luce44

Why did you rotate the eyes back into the head? That's not how it works.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2018 8:57 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Luce44

Why did you rotate the eyes back into the head? That's not how it works.

Look through the testimonial pics. This happens for most if not all people with results 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 10:41 pm
ImperialMajesty
Eminent Member

The eyes don't quite move.  The maxilla moves a bit up, then a bit forwards.  There is then sphenoid tilting up.  The nasion and frontal bone are relatively stable/ static and they do not move.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2018 11:16 pm
Facetimeskink

It’s wonderful to see an adult using only mewing make so much progress! Your jaw symmetry is much more balanced. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 10:38 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: Progress

In the end beauty IS about illusion. Beauty is synonymous to sum of parts coming together as a greater whole that can only be felt but not sensed, because it is not really there. That is what makes is alluring.

Ah yes, my bad, I asked the hinge question regarding maxillary rotation, but what I really meant whether there is specific hinge/anchor point around which it would be convenient to center the whole facial rotation, similar to what I attempted in the OP. Individual bone movement is certainly induced through sutures, but I think the overall hinge effect itself is just a result of combined growth from all sutures rather than some sutures growing more than others. Well, these are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  But if you remember that lady who was unhappy with the results of her palatal expansion, she had nice cheeks, but no facial concavity (or convexity depending on your perspective) to support it. In a way, by solely expanding one suture, overall facial harmony/alignment can worsen until the rest of the skull is encouraged to catch up. Every suture operates within a different dimensional axis. Aesthetic alignment can happen only when these axises are dynamically resting against each other (tongue posture enables this). Kind of like the skin of a soccerball. 

To me those two particular pictures you chose are deceiving because they are taken from angles that coincidentally exaggerate the differences. Bassed on eye visibility, hairline/forehead ratio and the location of ears it seems that the left picture is taken from a slightly more posterior, and possibly higher angle, both of which distort the face in a way that the angle of the second picture counters.

But the REAL problem about my argument is this: Where do we center the head in before/after pictures?

And the answer is: depends on where the growth has happened and by how much. And that it is next to impossible to determine from pictures. At best we can determine that the face has improved.

Phenotypic variance in aesthetics is a good point. However, because there is not much phenotypic variance in anatomical function, and because form follows function, every sufficiently healthy human should be capable of developing aesthetically coherent, pleasing proportions. Generally all who develop pleasing proportions, do so out of lifestyle factors, not genetics. Birth defects and genetic illness excluded. What I achieved for Rashida was increased facial coherence.

Indeed, I am not saying she could look exactly like this, but that she could have proportions similar to this.

I'm not so sure.  I think many could think she looks better before.  Women tend to look nice with an arc / convex shape.  Anyway... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVgp8aIJyg   There really is not measurement... but the only measurement (as Dr. John Mew states here)... is a vote!  She looks younger on the left, as chins come forward with age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 2:03 am
Lisichka

@rosebing

Hello! Please could you share how is it going now? How much did you achieve?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 6:32 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

The reason expansion can look like recession is because a wider palate allows for the face to widen, making it look as if it got shorter (recessed into the skull) when really the added width just makes the balance more favorable to a shorter ratio. In other words the midface appears to shorten vertically when it really widens horizontally. Then, the mandible can come forward making the lower third longer and the midface look less prominent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 3:40 pm
Page 2 / 2