Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Ever wondered why fat people tend to be mouth breathers? I think this might be why.  

RSS
gewgerg

"Study finds fat tongue can lead to sleep apnea"

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-tongue-fat-can-affect-sleep-apnea-risk

Fat can build up in the tongue which combined with a narrow palate forces the tongue to drop which in turn affects our posture.

Losing weight could actually provide faster mewing gains if you're struggling.

Posted : 15/01/2020 11:17 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

To be honest I've seen fat people typically have more forward growth than the average person. That may just be the fat tissue though, lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 11:47 am
gewgerg

@oatmeal

that's fatty tissue on the chin making the face look more forward I believe. I often see fat people have flat facial profiles but are still recessed 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 12:51 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I had no idea that the tongue could even get fat. I feel like a lot of the obese people I have observed have really tiny mouths. Or maybe it just looks tiny in comparison.

I've heard people say that having proper tongue posture makes you lose weight. I have also heard that if you grow up with proper tongue posture and facial growth, you'll actually develop a more athletic build. Theoretically I think this may be true because if the facial structure grows to the genetic ideal, I would think that the rest of the body structure would also grow to an ideal form. I'm not sure that human beings are actually meant to have such a variety of different body shapes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 2:14 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Fat people seem to have the short face phenotype as opposed to the long adenoid mouth breather. Both CFD but in opposite directions. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 12:38 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

i have a friend who was really fat but lost like 30kg now every girl is after him he has a short face aswell and really wide his head is out proportion of his whole body haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 9:01 am
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@mr-mewing

Lol. So he has a high fwhr? Or is his head just comically wide.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 11:07 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

yeah but he is really popular to girls

but a cool thing to know is his intermolar width is like 45mm not even at his max 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 2:07 am
DrMario
Eminent Member

There are many reasons why overweight to obese individuals may be led to a "mouth-breathing" respiratory physiology which we all already know is harmful in a lot of ways.

How is the person fat in the first place? It's not just the caloric surplus of food, it's a much bigger picture than that. High cortisol from stress, anxiety, poor sleep quality, inflammation from junk food and so many factors can be attributed to obesity. When you have a hormonal disharmony caused by these factors, your hunger hormones are disrupted, inclining you to eat more than you should. This is why deep, quality sleep is crucial to your hormonal profile. Good sleep regulates metabolism, hunger hormones, testosterone, mood and so much. When all of this is disrupted, it can lead someone to very bad health and then it becomes cyclic. Eating more when you're depressed...tired...irritable...all because you're losing more and more on sleep to help restore you. I've always thought that the ones we know who are skinny and can eat like horses...are skinny because they have great nutrient partitioning because their hormones are good because they're sleeping good.

As for the tongue, when the person's body fat rises, fat distributes all over the body...including the tongue since it is a muscle. A larger tongue can in fact obstruct your airway and there are NIH.gov articles that demonstrate excess adipose tissue situated in the tongue narrowing a patient's airway. Weight loss in fact does decrease tongue fat and rids of inflammatory cells causing hormonal disruption. Weight loss and a good nutrient dense diet should decrease that fat in the tongue. I believe fat around the soft palate should decrease too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 10:28 am
ShaktiOm liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I feel like weight gain grows the skull permanently. I have seen people lose weight and end up with bigger heads than people who weigh the same but never got fat. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 3:22 pm
gewgerg
Posted by: @eddiemoney

I feel like weight gain grows the skull permanently. I have seen people lose weight and end up with bigger heads than people who weigh the same but never got fat. 

what do you think causes that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2020 1:18 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @gewgerg

I don't know, maybe some adaptation to distribute the body's weight? Extra brain glucose? I honestly have no clue. Won't pretend I do. Just something I noticed

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2020 7:53 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I've always had a super fat tongue, back down to my youth weight and still got this fat tongue. My palate is super wide with tongue still touching molars. Genetics, maybe?

Posted by: @gewgerg

I don't know, maybe some adaptation to distribute the body's weight? Extra brain glucose? I honestly have no clue. Won't pretend I do. Just something I noticed

Brain inflammation.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2020 11:25 pm