Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Etiology of tongue/lip tie  

RSS
zosogg
Eminent Member

I'd like to start a discussion on the causes of tongue ties. Does anyone have any ideas/ theories on why some babies are born with this? A cursory search led to a theory by this guy that it could be a nutritional deficiency of vitamin A in the mother here.

The reason I'm interested is this:

If we accept that tongue ties are simply genetic, then CFD is de facto genetic, and therefore TMJ/Sleep Apnea is genetic. Seems unlikely. The only way this wouldn't be the case is if someone born with a tongue tie could still somehow maintain proper tongue posture regardless, which would have to mean that the frenum would either 1) go away as the tongue is stretched more often or 2) simply stretch out to the point of not being a hindrance anymore

On another note, tongue tie diagnoses seem to be on the rise, and I don't want to be a victim of a fad. My myofunctional therapists seems to think that I have a posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie, and if she thinks its best to get the frenectomy then that may be what's best. However, I wonder if this is something that could be worked around. Maybe with time and with plenty of exercises I could stretch the frenum so that I can have the amount of mobility that I need. 

Posted : 18/10/2018 12:28 am
Sorrow
  • Tongue Ties are most definitely genetic.

In my whole family ancestory, leading from my grand parents, to my siblings, cousins etc, None of them have ever had a tongue tie, yet they all have extremely bad head, neck and oral posture.

Yet my best friend, Had a tongue tie, and so did his Mom. Which mostly likely means he could have got the dominant genes from his mom, and his Dad could have had a recessive gene for a tongue tie.

All in all I personally think its genetic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2018 8:00 am
zosogg
Eminent Member

@Sorrow

I wonder though if you might be mistaken, and more people might have tongue ties in your family and not even know it. I didn't know I had a tongue tie until maybe recently, because posterior ties are hard to diagnose. At the same time, even if that is true, I don't think that having a tongue tie is a necessary condition to having bad oral posture, but it is a sufficient one. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2018 10:27 am
Ayla31
Trusted Member

I thought it was because of lack of folic acid during pregnancy (which could also cause spina bifida):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793254/

Mike Mew asked his father whether it was better to supplement folate or get it from food (like greens) on their video about tongue ties:

https://youtu.be/gmNNS7o7yp8

I really doubt its something genetic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2018 12:10 pm
CristinaRose

I was born with a tongue-tie.

I know my mom breastfed me for the first three months of my life. She said she gave up after that.  Maybe because I couldn't latch on very well.  I'm guessing.

I heard in Brazil, they are snipping tongue ties so babies can breast feed better.  Breast feeding is important for good jaw development. Also, think of the motion of the baby tongue nursing.  It reminds me of how we are supposed to swallow. 

I lived 48 years before knowing where my tongue was supposed to be:  at the roof of my mouth.  I always kept it in the bottom, because that felt natural. I also was a mouth breather too.  My dad would sometimes tell me to close my mouth and breath through my nose.  That wasn't too easy for me. I had allergies.

When I discovered Mewing, I asked my kids (I have four kids, ranging from teens to early twenties) do you keep your tongue up against the roof of your mouth?  Why yes, that's normal they say. 

I breast feed all of them for an extended amount of time. They all have nicely shaped faces.  No crooked teeth.

No frenums.

For 5 months of Mewing, I worked very hard at putting my tongue up against my palate.  It was soooo hard at first.  And the frenum restricted this.  I had results, but limited.

I had a frenectomy this year.  It took two visits. And a couple stitches.  My dentist did it.  I love him for that. 

I totally recommend getting it cut.  You will feel free inside your mouth.  Your tongue will be unrestricted and it will become stronger and you will see faster results!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2018 8:33 pm
zosogg liked
zosogg
Eminent Member

@CrisitinaRose

I suppose there's no reason to not get it cut. 

For the record, my mom had the same experience. She told me that "she just wasn't producing milk", but I actually think that I just wasn't suckling strongly enough to get her to produce milk. Therefore I was bottle fed. And now my face developed the way it has. Fascinating stuff

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2018 10:27 pm
Jelly
Eminent Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mLUU2VR-c
13:55 According to her, it s because of a gene mutation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/12/2019 10:10 am