Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Don't do this simple mistake.

6 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)
Topic starter

I noticed recently a lot of posts from people saying that mewing has ruined their face. This is probably coming from incorrect mewing technique, very often caused by the advice to “hard mew”. The problem arises when you push with your tongue forward and at the same time raise the back of your tongue upwards.

This is similar to swallowing forward motion. This compresses the maxilla into the palatine bone and causes recession of the palate.

Just keep your tongue relaxed on the palate, don’t push actively, the tongue has a certain length to it, if your palate is too short the tongue will expand the palate without any active force. In fact, more tension in the tongue causes it to only become shorter and narrower(muscles contract by becoming shorter).

Let the tongue do the work passively. The only muscle that needs to be a contract is at the back of your tongue to make sure the tongue doesn’t drop in the mouth. Ideally, you should exercise daily trying to relax the tongue sideways and frontward as well to expand the whole palate.

If the tongue is too big it will not fully fit, then it will be curled a bit, as long as it’s touching both sides and against the palate, not the teeth, it will expand the palate properly. There’s really no more secret to it than that, no need to tense it at all.

At first the muscles that lift your tongue will be to weak and you will instinctively try to tense your tongue to keep it up, avoid this, when the back of the tongue burns too much just relax it until it recovers, the muscles in that area recover very fast because of high blood-flow.

Posted : 05/06/2021 5:01 pm
YasuoSupport
(@yasuosupport)

If I were to stop mewing completely, would I be able to reverse the damage done by hard mewing?

Posted : 01/03/2022 5:32 am
Help
 Help
(@sheeesh)

Posted by: @auxiliarus

The problem arises when you push with your tongue forward and at the same time raise the back of your tongue upwards.

This is similar to swallowing forward motion. This compresses the maxilla into the palatine bone and causes recession of the palate.

I agree that people should not be hard mewing, but I don’t understand this part. How does swallowing forward or pushing your tongue forward recess the palate?

Posted : 27/03/2022 2:50 am
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)
Topic starter

@sheeesh 

It doesn’t make sense when you think of the tongue as having independent forces of the face, but alas every muscle on your body is connected to your skeleton and the law of physics dictates that for every force there is a counter-force.

To understand it more intuitively, you have to look at tongue muscles and what they do.

Pushing your tongue forward means tensing your genioglossus muscles which means pulling on your lower jaw. As your lower jaw moves backward you need to create a counter-force to keep it and the tongue forward, which means you’ll start using your jaw muscles attached to the back of your maxilla to pull on the maxilla backwards to create a forward force.

By doing so, you will pull the maxilla backwards, not forwards in the long-term.

An even more important thing to consider is that you will be using the palatoglossus and tensor veli palatini muscles to maintain and upwards force, however when the tongue is extended forwards part of the movement will become pulling with the palatoglossus the back of the maxilla downwards and forwards jamming the back of the palate in the front one. 

Combining these two I believe you will be left with an over-all recessive movement over a long period of time.

Posted : 05/04/2022 3:50 am
BountyKiller reacted
Help
 Help
(@sheeesh)

@auxiliarus

I don’t quite understand, you are pulling back the maxilla by pushing he tongue forward, but you are also pulling the maxilla forwards and down?

I am not very familiar with the muscles of the tongue, which muscles are pulling back the maxilla?

Also isn’t it a good thing to use the palatoglossal muscle? I thought that the back of the maxilla is supposed to be pulled down for ccw rotation. [1][2]

Posted : 08/04/2022 2:26 am
Ope
 Ope
(@ope)

People saying it ruined their faces, I bet if they took before and after same angle I know there will be no change seen. Not only mewing doesn’t work but hard mewing don’t either at some point

Posted : 30/05/2022 2:19 pm

THE GREAT WORK