Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Does mewing reposition or bend the maxilla?

m_overlay

Yet another topic about mewing ik.

I have a lower jaw that is projected downwards and I from what I read, mewing can help rotate it to be a bit more horizontal.

So my question is does mewing and the force exerted by tongue posture actually push and reposition the entire maxilla, including the teeth, upwards to facilitate that lower jaw rotation, or does it just bend the palate creating a more concave shape

Topic starter Posted : 31/01/2020 4:00 pm
Topic Tags
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @m_overlay

Yet another topic about mewing ik.

I have a lower jaw that is projected downwards and I from what I read, mewing can help rotate it to be a bit more horizontal.

So my question is does mewing and the force exerted by tongue posture actually push and reposition the entire maxilla, including the teeth, upwards to facilitate that lower jaw rotation, or does it just bend the palate creating a more concave shape

The tongue itself can expand the maxilla. But as far as position of the maxilla, that is regulated by a ton of facial and skull muscles like the masseters and the temporalis. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2020 7:49 pm
m_overlay

@eddiemoney

Would that have any effect on the position of the upper teeth?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/02/2020 2:08 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @m_overlay

@eddiemoney

Would that have any effect on the position of the upper teeth?

Yes. How you bite and use your cheeks and lips regulates tooth position. Weak lips and cheeks = teeth stick out in all directions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2020 11:50 pm