Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Does mewing make your nose bigger?  

RSS
Ellen

Http://thehumanunderground.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/what-makes-a-face-attractive-its-all-in-the-tongue/amp/

came across this article, if you scroll down a bit, you can see the results of the writer herself. It is pretty impressive, but holy, her nose has gotten sooo much bigger, not sure which one I like more, the before or after.

so my question, does mewing make your nose bigger? Cause on youtube I hear Mike Mew talk about small noses, or is that only in small children where the cartilage has not formed fully yet?

also, should she have pushed more forward instead of up,

Her face might get longer, but her nose wouldn’t be so big?

any thoughts on it are welcome

I’ll post before picture first, can’t seem to upload more than one picture, the rest is below

may 2015

Posted : 19/06/2018 3:48 pm
Ellen

Dec 2016

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 3:48 pm
Ellen

March 2018

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 3:49 pm
Ellen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 3:49 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Tbh can't really see a difference. Her pictures were all taken under different lighting 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 4:01 pm
Amvon liked
gubbbbb
Eminent Member

no but even if it did those cheekbones are totally worth it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 4:24 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I looked through all the pics and proportionately her nose looks the same to me. The first pic was taken under incredibly different conditions than the first two .

I have honestly never seen a case of mewing making anyone's nose bigger. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 6:22 pm
Ellen

Well for starters, my nose totally has.
I can suddenly see my nose bones, I used to have a perfect straight nose, now somewhere in the middle it protruding. From my side view this past week I do not have a straight nose anymore. It kind of worries me. Don’t feel like getting a nose job after all of this xD

would upwards tongue pushing cause this? Or forward? I suspect upwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 7:38 pm
Ellen

Why is it posting my comments twice the whole time? And why can’t I delete the post?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 7:38 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

My nose has only gotten "smaller" with my routine and my dorsal hump has nearly completely dissapeared.

Are you certain, ellen? If it's true it might be worth reevaluating your mewing game to see if anythings wrong

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 7:54 pm
Ellen and EddieMoney liked
Ellen

Unforturnately I am :/

I see it in the pictures.I’ve never had a dorsal hump, kinda bugs me now. I’ve decided to stop pushing upwards, and only focus on forward tongue pushing.

my face is pretty wide, and I have a little cheekbones anyways. My teeth are pretty straight so don’t think my face will get longer if I only push forwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 9:24 am
ava
 ava

I took a look at the first two pictures of that lady, and super-imposed them, and it totally looks like her nose is a little longer in vertical height actually.

The reason for this, is that her lower jaw seems to have grown forward at the pre-existing angle and filled out her face, but because that angle is already sloping down, that also means an increase in overall face length (and so the nose is lengthened because the bottom half of the face is being stretched a bit more). That said, it's an improvement anyway.

I can't comment on the difference between the second and third pictures because the angle is too different.

If I were to jump to (random!) conclusions, I'd say that lengthening seems to be easier than improving the angle...but that's probably ok. After all, lengthening ensures that your tongue fits fully and that will allow it to be that much more useful over the following years. Assuming she keeps it up I'm sure her angle will improve over time too, it just might take a little longer...and at least it won't get any worse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 11:13 am
Ellen liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I have a theory on what is happening to you based on my own case.

But I need to know this first @Ellen. Has your nasolabial angle become more obtuse or acute?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 11:33 am
Ellen liked
Couda
Eminent Member

Maybe its in your genetics.
Do you have any family member e.g. parent or grandparent that have (dorsal hump + well developed face)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 4:42 pm
Ellen liked
Ellen

@ ava you are amazing hehe

@eddiemoney ahh I didn’t even notice that! How cool of you to ask that 🙂 But slightly slightly obtuse, def there. This surprises me, I would expect it to become more acute

so these past few days I have not pushed upwards at all, and the dorsal hump developing seems to be gradually become less noticable, I think it is falling down/ or pushing forwards is helping. I am very happy with this!

I’ll keep you updated on this. Let you know how pushing forwards only + lots of chewing works.

I think for some reason I pushed upwards in my youth, but forgot to push forwards.

because I do have a nice round face like selena gomes-ish, so nothing long. I am caucasisn btw

but I have almost 0 profile view haha

nah I’ve seen worse examples, but I can def improve 🙂

@couda yeah my dad has a bit of a dorsal hump, but he has a totally different nose, mine looks like my moms. Small, and the front is very slightly upwards (in a cute way)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2018 3:41 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Ok so if the angle is getting obtuse here is what may be happening. As your maxilla advances, multiple other movements occur. Remember the maxilla never moves by itself but moves other bones around it.

The maxilla will push on the nasion which will move your nose away from your face. Simultaneously if your palate expands, your mandible can slide forward, flattening your lip profile and making your nose look more prominent (since the lips pout less). This is why I asked about your nasolabial angle.

Right now this is happening to me. My nasolabial angle has gotten more obtuse due to the combination of these movements.

However, the more the maxilla advances, the more the bottom of the nose gets pushed upwards, essentially shortening the nose. This is due to soft tissue from the upper lip coming forward as the maxilla advances. The upper lip pushes the bottom of the nose upwards, so the end result is a shorter nose.

So don't worry as IMO this is just part of the process but it isn't the final result. It is a sign of you making bones move however. Just know that the ugly duckling phase is going to be there as bones transition out of places we were used to seeing them. But it only means they are moving.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2018 4:20 pm
Halti.H and Ellen liked
Ellen

@eddiemoney

thank you do much! I really appreciate it. I am glad to have shared this, hope this is useful for other folks too!

I will continue pushing forwards, last night for the first time I woke up with my tongue still in foreeard pushing position. My body is getting used to it finally 🙂

but reading your comment, maybe in half a year I will see if I can push upwards again. 

I also push with my fingers/thumbs forward. Making sure it is nowhere near my teeth, or root of my teeth. I don’t want to be messing with them 🙂

anyways, have a good day eddie!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2018 5:36 pm
Couda
Eminent Member

If you care about cheekbones, the tongue must be pushing upwards. 

Source: Facial Appearance, Cheek Bones or Cheek Bulges By Dr Mike Mew

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2018 2:34 pm
Hope
 Hope
Eminent Member
Posted by: krollic

My nose has only gotten "smaller" with my routine and my dorsal hump has nearly completely dissapeared.

Are you certain, ellen? If it's true it might be worth reevaluating your mewing game to see if anythings wrong

If your nose looks smaller and the hump went away could you post pictures?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2018 9:49 am
krollic
Reputable Member

I'd rather not at this stage but if you look at a lot of success stories with mewing you will see similar results. As the maxilla comes forward it hides a lot of the noses protrusion. The nose doesn't actually get smaller it just gets masked by the maxilla.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2018 10:19 am
Hope
 Hope
Eminent Member

I'd rather not at this stage but if you look at a lot of success stories with mewing you will see similar results. As the maxilla comes forward it hides a lot of the noses protrusion. The nose doesn't actually get smaller it just gets masked by the maxilla.

Could you just post a before and after only of your nose. It would really help me out brother 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2018 7:24 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

In absolute terms, if we successfully grow/shift the maxilla forward, the nose swings forward with it. However, the cheek line also angles forward resulting in a nose that looks less or equally pronounced in relation to the level of the cheeks in profile. If the vertical height of the maxilla is reduced, this would also reduce the vertical size of the nose.

Orthodontics For Kids

Image result for cheek line claimingpower

The bridge of my nose angles to the left, so I'm more worried about improving symmetry rather than size.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2018 6:02 pm
Couda and EddieMoney liked
Slinky
Trusted Member

Hook noses are genetic imo. Lots of Recessed people with straight noses 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 5:46 am
Hope
 Hope
Eminent Member
Posted by: Slinky

Nobody in my family had hook nose and if I look at pictures when I was 11-12 I didnt had them as well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 6:41 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Slinky

Recession doesn't guarantee a hooked nose. There are many types of recession however.

I know that being recessed cam cause someone with a straight nose to become hooked simply because the maxilla pulls the nose down. The floor of the nose is after all the roof of the mouth.

Usually leptorrhine people would get a hooked nose with recession. Also, as people with bad posture become recessed over time, old people have hooked noses many times even if they never ever had one during their younger life. Matter of fact hooked noses are much more common on the elderly indicating that it is posture related.

The fact that some people are more likely to have it just means those people adopt the same lifestyle and same posture. It is akin to saying narrow palates are genetically endemic to Europeans since it seems they are absent or much more rare outside of the West. But, since we know palates can expand, we now know that it isn't genetic at all rather life in Europe has caused people to develop incorrectly. The same can be said of populations with hooked noses. The fact it is common is no more genetic than obesity being common in the American South. Populations develop functional issues but there is no proof that these issues couldn't have been prevented. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2018 11:38 am
Couda
Eminent Member

If a "pushed in nose" look is what you refer to as embedded then thats maxillary recession at the nostril area. When the maxilla comes forward, the zygomatic bones will make the upper part of the nose more embedded but the lower part of the nose(nostril area) will move forwards and up relative to teeth and increase the nasalabial angle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2018 4:18 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

This proposed Paleo profile shows that a forward grown maxilla may actually make your nose appear smaller over time . The closer the incisors come to the nose, the more the upper lip moves forward and "encases" the nose, making it poke out less.

The rarity of such a profile in this day and age shows how badly we suck at posture!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2018 8:12 pm
Apollo liked
Halti.H

What was your mewing technique bro? Did you push upwards a lot? I've seen a lot of people say that pushing upwards worsens the nose and makes a nose hump which is making me doubtfoul. I don't even really know how to push forward. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2018 8:05 am
Joahova

Really I have a dorsal hump do you really think mewing can fix it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 1:13 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

If I've always had a straight nose with a recessed maxilla, what changes should I expect from mewing progress on this matter?

It'd be great if it makes my nose a bit smaller-looking

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2019 11:05 am
jersey13

@eddiemoney Hey, I know this is topic is a couple of years old now, but had a question regarding this.

I pushed upward too hard (as OP did) when swallowing, causing an increase in soft palate height & had a similar experience of my nose getting bigger. My suspicion is that the soft palate going up pushed the nose up & out more, making it appear bigger & developing a similar hump.

Would i t be wise at this point to only push forward with the tongue, to see if the rest of my face, or forward growth will catch up to my nose. It's a lot bigger right now, & I'm kinda freaking out as I'm not sure it's reversible. My nose was at a good length previously (I'm going into my late 20's as well - so def not a result of puberty etc.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 2:35 am
Lawnmewer

It's also good to remember mewing isn't purely cosmetic, but also something that if she hadn't started doing it then she would suffer from a lot of problems as you aged. This is something I feel like a lot of people seem to forget, and then you'll get phrases like "haven't had a lot of progress, should I keep mewing?" "Is mewing worth it?" "I'm gonna stop mewing because it's making me look worse". This is largely Mike's fault for marketing it like some kind of facelift and associating it with attractiveness so much.

edit: oh this post is like 2 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 5:55 am
mewisit

@ellen no your nose hasn’t gotten bigger.      ??? Your upper lip has gotten stronger. Try protruding your lips. You’ll see that your nasal bone becomes more prominent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2020 11:08 pm
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

No, it has the opposite effect. The position of the nose stays static in relation to the cheekbones and lower jaw, so when your maxilla moves forward, it makes your nose look smaller, as it's supported better by the facial bones.

As an analogue, think of the eyes of poeple with profoundly downsung maxillas, as is the case with some midface deformities in children. the eyes look like they're "bulging" out of the head, but in reality, it's the rest of the face that's not out forward enough to support the eyes, which stay in the same spot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2020 4:23 pm