Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

does homeoblock expand the palate all the way to the molars?

vplatt

A dentist told me recently that she thinks I should do either RPE or Schwartz rather than homeoblock because she doesn't think homeoblock does a good job expanding the whole palate, front to back. She says it only expands the front / anterior. I've never heard this before and not sure it makes sense. I would think the bones are connected or even the same bones so if the anterior is expanding, the back would follow...

Any insights on this?

Topic starter Posted : 14/04/2021 11:45 am
pizzaman500

I have Homeoblock and yes, the back follows. It's definitely a better appliance than the RPE or Schwartz imo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2021 10:55 pm
vplatt

That's what I thought as well. Not sure why she seemed to think it wouldn't properly expand for me. Is your palate very narrow or just a bit? Are you actively using the homeoblock now?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/04/2021 10:48 am
skinny7

This is why it's always important to talk to others who have gone through treatments and get multiple opinions. A dentist isn't an orthodontist, orthotropist, or periodonitist. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2021 11:03 pm
vplatt liked
vplatt

@skinny7 this dentist does specialize in airway and orafacial myology / maxillofacial development. Also, pretty sure I wouldn't trust a regular orthodontist...those practices are causing some of these issues...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/04/2021 10:08 am
pizzaman500

My IMW was 34mm so not horribly narrow. And yes I'm actively using it now and have 4 1/4 mm expansion.

I went with a dentist as well but am honestly disappointed, he's not helpful at all. He's supposed to be experienced too. I think you want someone with orthopedic / orthodontic training because a regular dentist is usually not an expert on moving teeth and bone remodeling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2021 2:28 pm
vplatt liked
vplatt

@pizzaman500 I wonder if there is a list on here of good practitioners...there are so many and I know what you mean, the first person I saw is supposed to be really good and I left the appointment feeling confused about a treatment plan and didn't even get measurements with my CBCT scan. Now I have to pay for a radiology report to get that info. The second one is better for sure and has the additional training and is a dentist. I'm not sure how concerned she is with aesthetics though and I am looking for the trifecta of aesthetics, health, and proper bone development. There is a lot to it and it's way too subjective for me to do it myself.

That's great you've already expanded so much! Did you also have TMJ or a narrow airway?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/04/2021 1:31 pm
skinny7 liked
pizzaman500

@vplatt I have UARS so airway is my biggest concern, but aesthetics are important too. Finding a provider is a hit or miss. I used to think that the appliance was the most important part in expanding successfully, but now I think it's difficult to do optimally without a good provider. I mean it's possible that everything goes smoothly and the provider just sits on the sidelines, but chances are you'll run into issues and when you do you'll want someone who knows what he's doing and addresses your concerns appropriately. It's difficult to know beforehand though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2021 1:58 pm
vplatt liked
vplatt

@pizzaman500 I agree -- I'm going to consult with some functional orthodontists. It is hard to know beforehand because people can be great at sales and not service! Just from hearing about teeth tipping, I feel like I want to have someone to work with...not trying to mess things up more. It would be cool if there was somewhere on this site where people could rank their experiences with providers. I suppose that could have liability issues or whatever, but it would be helpful. I hope it is going smoothly for you, or that you can switch providers if needed.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/04/2021 2:21 pm
skinny7

@vplatt Regardless, I've been to a few of the top names for consulations. Guys/gals you see giving presentations and inventors of devices. I haven't gotten a consistent treatment plan. Bottom line is they all have their own opinions and you have to pick the best one for you. A list here would help to narrow the focus, but I can say I don't like the treatment plan from a very reputable ortho I got a consultation from, so any list can't be looked at as 100% safe, you've got to feel them out for yourself and ask informed questions. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2021 1:19 pm
vplatt

@skinny7 I agree with that. Also, the personality / service of the provider is important as @pizzaman500 mentioned. So far, I haven't figured out what to do for the TMD prior to palate expansion or if palate expansion would help solve that issue. It's complex.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/04/2021 1:55 pm
skinny7

@vplatt I just got a treatment plan from a provider that works with Homeoblock. I have no TMD pain, but I have popping in one joint which has been painful previously. The provider prescribed a POD device for 8 weeks prior to treatment with a Homeoblock. The POD has an assymetrical bite block. I think this is how they solve that problem, and for my understanding the Homeoblock builds bone in the face and realigns the joint properly after, so it's a benefit to this. Watch Belfor's videos and podcasts on his website. 

One catch, I'm trying to find out how much the teeth have to line up prior to using the device. Mine I did not think were out of alignment, but my first recommendation is to get better alignment with invisaline. 

Their top recommendation was to stabilize with POD, MSE expansion, expand lower with either SFOT invisaline or lower MSE, then do homeoblock for facial asymmetry and bone building. I'm still getting evaluations.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2021 3:25 pm
vplatt

@skinny7 that sounds like the TMD that I have, it's on one side and mostly popping with a history of pain flare ups. The worst flare up was when I attempted invisalign recently and that is how I discovered this whole craniofacial dystrophy complex. I wonder if the myobrace for TMJ is similar to the POD? It's the myobrace for adults with TMJ and supposedly brings the mandible forward some to align the jaws. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2021 7:32 pm
WHCCARDIO

@skinny7 This sounds like an excellent treatment plan. What provider has recommended this treatment?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2021 1:42 am