Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Does facial hair location change with bone improvements?  

RSS
Silver
 Silver

Seems to me that most guys who can only grow a neckbeard or don't grow much facial hair on their cheeks have very recessed faces. I have observed the edges of my own still–coming in facial hair shift as my bones move. Can this be fixed? If I don't get my bones in the right spot before all my facial hair comes in, will I be permanently stuck with a crappy beard?

Posted : 28/03/2018 12:47 am
Meltcel
 Meltcel

Not true. I have seen guys with great maxillary placement who can't grow any facial hair.

I grow a better beard than most men I know (serious) and I am the most recessed having had a cclass 3 maloclussion and having my maxilla pulled back even more through elastics.

Similarly I have seen many good beards on fellow recessed men. Your beard was decided in the womb, not after that.

What *MAY* change with maxillary upswing is your midface may get shorter, thus the surface area that each follicle covers has now gotten smaller, so the hairs appear denser. You need hairs there to begin with however. 

I hear guys who lose weight see improved beard density due to their hair covering a smaller face. The same theory would apply with midface shortening. 

But I am very recessed historically and my beard has been my pride and joy due to it being a necessity to hide my weak lower third. It wasn't until a few months of mewing that my lower third came forward a few millimeters and thus became my longest third, negating my need for the beard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2018 9:53 am
Silver
Trusted Member

Oh, thank God. I was concerned that if I made my face worse with incorrect oral posture that I might disable myself from growing the beard that I could one day. *phew*

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2018 3:16 am
Meltcel
 Meltcel

Nah, oral posture is just like other forms of posture. It affects your quality of life but not how hairy you are. I know a guy in his 70s who had been a mouth breather all of his life. He has it all in terms of textbook features. Forward head posture, rounded upper back, a recessed midface, an overly grown mandible (but still a large gonial angle), what appears to be a Class 3 maloclussion, and a narrow palate.

He is probably the hairiest man I know and he has a very ffull beard that grows near his eyes almost.

Similarly I know a guy who could practically model yet can barely grow any facial hair. How thick your beard is determined by many factors but not how robust your bones are nor how your posture is not how good looking you are. It is independent of those things. 

Matter of fact I am a member of a beard message board and many guys there are quite recessed (I assume this is why they choose to cover their face). Many guys who are recessed will opt for a beard to cover their recession or shorten their midface. It can really help with midface shortening since many times being recessed can lengthen the midface and shorten tthe lower third. The beard of course negates all of this since it brings the lower third down and the middle third up (as it covers the cheeks). I am guessing this is why beards became so popular especially amongst men who traditionally are not good looking. 

Recessed faces are all too common and so are beards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2018 11:20 am