Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Does a constant force or intermittent force remodel bone?  

RSS
Fluffycutecat
Eminent Member

Some people say it’s better to apply a constant force to the maxilla (like soft mewing or wearing a face mask) and other people say it’s better to apply a short duration of intense force to the maxilla, and then a long period of rest (hard mewing or face pulling).

Posted : 22/09/2020 5:08 pm
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

Constant force is better, the problem with short intense forces is that bone is very resilient to this kind of impact, but if a low force is applied, then over time the bone remodels in accordance to the force. It's called Wolfs Law. In theory, a hard constant force is optimal, this is why appliances work very well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2020 11:47 am
Fluffycutecat
Eminent Member

I thought Wolff’s law states that bone will eventually adapt to the force it is placed under?

So if a constant force is applied to the bone, the bone will get more dense to resist that force. Which is why people who rely on tongue posture to remodel bone never see any significant results. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 8:22 am
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

@fluffycutecat

But the tongue is a constant force is applied properly, but is it enough to elicit significant changes in facial form rapidly? I doubt it.

Unless you start at a young age. 5-10 years of having the tongue in the correct position is maybe what we're looking at now. But personally, I don't think the tongue is strong enough to change the face significantly.

I have stated many times on this fourm that I'm extremely skeptical of people who've made tremendous progress in less than one year, 99% of the time the angles, lighting, focal length are all different. For one year I dedicated myself to pushing and hard mewing nearly every minute of the day that I wasn't focused on something in particular, and... Minimal results. Started at 23, now 25, change so insignificant I don't even know if you could call it change. The sooner MSE becomes available in my country, the better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 9:17 am
chiefkeefsosa

@polholmes @sinned called you out in the "how to really move maxilla up and forward" thread and you still haven't responded. Stop discrediting mewing because you can't get results.  Lmao at you saying helmutstrebl got surgery in that thread.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 9:52 am
Thomas22
Trusted Member
Posted by: @polholmes

Constant force is better, the problem with short intense forces is that bone is very resilient to this kind of impact, but if a low force is applied, then over time the bone remodels in accordance to the force. It's called Wolfs Law. In theory, a hard constant force is optimal, this is why appliances work very well.

The studies I’ve read said that intermittent force promotes the most growth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 10:28 am
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

@chiefkeefsosa

I don't check this forum often and I usually don't read replies to my comments, sorry I don't spend all day looking at this stuff anymore... I come on occasionally to see if anyone's found something new or interesting.

This forum is obsessed with a handful of individuals who used to post here but stopped, their comparison photos were absolutely awful and it is literally a handful of people. Funny that by this stage there are hundreds of thousands of people mewing, but only a handful of people who've seen 'significant progress' by the looks of it. I think I remember saying that this forum is the heart and centre of mewing, and yet even on this forum where people have been mewing for 3+ years they still don't upload any progress photos because 'they aren't ready to'. 

I can take pictures to make myself look like I've gained a considerable amount of growth. Pictures should be taken with the head against a wall, with the camera position at exactly the same spot with flash on. Literally like nobody does this. I can take a picture in my bedroom, then go into the bathroom and change the angle by a few inches and there's a radically different outcome. Voila, you've gained 3cm in forward growth.

Let's see your progression since you seem so confident about it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 12:34 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @polholmes

@chiefkeefsosa

I don't check this forum often and I usually don't read replies to my comments, sorry I don't spend all day looking at this stuff anymore... I come on occasionally to see if anyone's found something new or interesting.

This forum is obsessed with a handful of individuals who used to post here but stopped, their comparison photos were absolutely awful and it is literally a handful of people. Funny that by this stage there are hundreds of thousands of people mewing, but only a handful of people who've seen 'significant progress' by the looks of it. I think I remember saying that this forum is the heart and centre of mewing, and yet even on this forum where people have been mewing for 3+ years they still don't upload any progress photos because 'they aren't ready to'. 

I can take pictures to make myself look like I've gained a considerable amount of growth. Pictures should be taken with the head against a wall, with the camera position at exactly the same spot with flash on. Literally like nobody does this. I can take a picture in my bedroom, then go into the bathroom and change the angle by a few inches and there's a radically different outcome. Voila, you've gained 3cm in forward growth.

Let's see your progression since you seem so confident about it?

No one wants their face being used as an example or re-posted all over the internet.

As for this thread :

Constant force during night will remodel the face. While high interminnent force is best for increasing bone size, that's totally not what you should be aiming for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2020 5:30 pm
mateogon

In my opinion it's best to do both. Maybe short intense forces won't be the best at remodelling, but those will help your tongue get stronger and increase the force it can produce for long periods of time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2020 9:15 pm