Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

DNA Appliance really growing bone?  

RSS
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

I have heard about the DNA appliance for growing bone in the jaws of adults and fixing underbite, overbite, etc... is the appliance actually growing any bone, or is it simply moving the teeth around the jaw to make it seem so? I’m a little skeptical of any appliance that claims to work with DNA to trigger repressed genes - it sounds like pseudoscience to me, but I wanted your opinions as I may be completely off base here. Also, isn’t it true that these jaw development issues are caused by improper oral posture and not “repressed genes” and the like? And if you do the DNA appliance without myofunctional therapy/fixing oral posture will the effect be lost after some time due to not addressing a root cause?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 10:57 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

Yes it does. Much like any expander, the DNA expands the palate through remodeling. It just has few additional features to give finer control over teeth position.

It's mainly useful for dentists who want to get into orthodontics without the expertise required for braces. The marketing for this appliance is full of BS, including the part you referred to. 

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 10:04 pm
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

Oh, great to hear! Is it possible not only to use this to expand the palate but also to bring the maxilla forward or upswing the mandible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 1:57 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Reputable Member

No, on its own it can't, but if a face mask is attached to it maybe.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 3:18 am
paradise
(@paradise)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

No, on its own it can't, but if a face mask is attached to it maybe.

I believe sagittal expansion like with AGGA should bring the maxilla forwards and mandible up through ramus uprighting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 4:16 am
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

Is there any website I can use to locate someone who will work with AGGA? I live in the Bay Area and Google unfortunately hasn’t been turning up any results of AGGA practitioners near me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 9:51 am
James
(@james)

The reason you aren't finding anything is that AGGA is very badly popularized, and dentists who use it often don't have the AGGA term on their site, so it's hard to find them.

Use the search on LVI's site. Look through the practitioners for someone who has finished the course 'Full Face Orthodontics “F2O” Physiologic Orthodontics,' the AGGA course. I am seeing Dr. Stephanie Loller who has offices in San Jose and Saratoga. I've had a tongue-tie release, and my AGGA gaps are expanding by 1mm / month. I'm glad that I went to her and started treatment after waffling for months about what to do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/12/2018 10:27 pm
paradise
(@paradise)
Eminent Member
Posted by: James

The reason you aren't finding anything is that AGGA is very badly popularized, and dentists who use it often don't have the AGGA term on their site, so it's hard to find them.

Use the search on LVI's site. Look through the practitioners for someone who has finished the course 'Full Face Orthodontics “F2O” Physiologic Orthodontics,' the AGGA course. I am seeing Dr. Stephanie Loller who has offices in San Jose and Saratoga. I've had a tongue-tie release, and my AGGA gaps are expanding by 1mm / month. I'm glad that I went to her and started treatment after waffling for months about what to do.

Are you experiencing one gap growing significantly faster than the other?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2018 12:56 am
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

@james Thank you for the advice! I'll book a consultation with Dr. Loller. Also, quick question - if my jaw(lower or upper) has grown asymmetrically ie shifted to one side, can that be treated effectively with AGGA?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2018 9:12 pm
James
(@james)
Posted by: paradise

Are you experiencing one gap growing significantly faster than the other?

My left gap is 2 mm and my right is 2.2 mm after 12 weeks. Only a small difference. Measured with feeler gauges.

This post was modified 1 month ago by James
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/12/2018 11:43 pm
James
(@james)
Posted by: qwerty135

@james Thank you for the advice! I'll book a consultation with Dr. Loller. Also, quick question - if my jaw(lower or upper) has grown asymmetrically ie shifted to one side, can that be treated effectively with AGGA?

Asymmetry will actually be addressed very early because you will get molar pads which will allow your mandible to move forward to a more natural (and symmetrical position). These bite pads are flat and allow the mandible to move a lot. My mandible was to the left, and the bite pads were enough to fix it immediately. Then after having some growth, my premolars started bumping and now my mandible is off to the left again. I will raise this issue with Dr. Loller who will probably adjust my bite pads to fix it. I'm expecting my occlusion to change a lot during treatment as things move around.

My impression is that asymmetrical mandible position is easy to fix permanently as a consequence of the entire AGGA and Controlled Arch treatment, with the bite pads providing short-term relief.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 12:01 am
paradise
(@paradise)
Eminent Member
Posted by: qwerty135

Asymmetry will actually be addressed very early because you will get molar pads which will allow your mandible to move forward to a more natural (and symmetrical position). These bite pads are flat and allow the mandible to move a lot. My mandible was to the left, and the bite pads were enough to fix it immediately. Then after having some growth, my premolars started bumping and now my mandible is off to the left again. I will raise this issue with Dr. Loller who will probably adjust my bite pads to fix it. I'm expecting my occlusion to change a lot during treatment as things move around.

My impression is that asymmetrical mandible position is easy to fix permanently as a consequence of the entire AGGA and Controlled Arch treatment, with the bite pads providing short-term relief.

How did you see that your mandible position was off from the beginning? Could it not have been that your maxilla was off?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 12:10 am
James
(@james)
Posted by: paradise

How did you see that your mandible position was off from the beginning? Could it not have been that your maxilla was off?

It was very obvious because the division between the front two incisors on top and bottom wasn't lining up. Also the CBCT scan showed the mandible shifted left. It's the typical phenomenon of the mandible position being wrong because of the maxilla being underdeveloped. Also, my top arch is asymmetrical, with the right side more underdeveloped with some crowding. That's probably why my mandible was shifted to the left, because there is less width in my maxilla on the right. AGGA does not fix this, it expands forward. Controlled Arch braces will give me transverse expansion and fix the asymmetric width.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 12:18 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register