Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

DNA Appliance really growing bone?  

RSS
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

I have heard about the DNA appliance for growing bone in the jaws of adults and fixing underbite, overbite, etc... is the appliance actually growing any bone, or is it simply moving the teeth around the jaw to make it seem so? I’m a little skeptical of any appliance that claims to work with DNA to trigger repressed genes - it sounds like pseudoscience to me, but I wanted your opinions as I may be completely off base here. Also, isn’t it true that these jaw development issues are caused by improper oral posture and not “repressed genes” and the like? And if you do the DNA appliance without myofunctional therapy/fixing oral posture will the effect be lost after some time due to not addressing a root cause?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 10:57 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

Yes it does. Much like any expander, the DNA expands the palate through remodeling. It just has few additional features to give finer control over teeth position.

It's mainly useful for dentists who want to get into orthodontics without the expertise required for braces. The marketing for this appliance is full of BS, including the part you referred to. 

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2018 10:04 pm
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

Oh, great to hear! Is it possible not only to use this to expand the palate but also to bring the maxilla forward or upswing the mandible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 1:57 am
Abdulrahman
(@abdulrahman)
Estimable Member

No, on its own it can't, but if a face mask is attached to it maybe.

name changed from abdul to Abdulrahman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 3:18 am
paradise
(@paradise)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

No, on its own it can't, but if a face mask is attached to it maybe.

I believe sagittal expansion like with AGGA should bring the maxilla forwards and mandible up through ramus uprighting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 4:16 am
qwerty135
(@qwerty135)

Is there any website I can use to locate someone who will work with AGGA? I live in the Bay Area and Google unfortunately hasn’t been turning up any results of AGGA practitioners near me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/12/2018 9:51 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register