fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Discomfort when the root of the tongue is strained

bobmw64

I have noticed that when I do something more than soft mewing with my tongue (for example, I try to expand the tongue in all directions as much as possible, or raise the tongue as much as possible from behind closer to the soft palate), the intestines immediately begin to show strange activity, (belching, strong sounds of perestalsis, as often diarrhea the next day) . I have an idea that this may be due to the vagus nerve, or some other reaction to the tension of the root of the tongue.

I can still breathe when I lift the root, but it's on the verge of overlapping, just wondering if anyone has the same problem?

I've been doing this since 2019, the technique is constantly changing, but this problem has started to appear regularly in certain moments since the beginning of the path

Topic starter Posted : 29/04/2021 4:49 pm
moongrass

I have the same problem... unrest in the intestines but not so much in terms of diarrhea. Something is probably off with the way I maintain tongue posture but I just can't figure it out

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2021 3:49 am
ninjaB

Possibly a tongue tie issue

Raising the base of the tongue can cause undue tension through the descending fascial/sensory system

Look at the fascial connection between the tongue and the rest of the body:

Dr Souresh Zaghi ENT surgeon in the US is pioneering "functional" frenuloplasties as well as their assesment and grading

I have had my tongue released twice - no frenulum remaining but I still felt I needed further release

When I raise my tongue the floor of the mandible is pulled up suggesting excessive tension

Zaghi talks about the need for partial glossectomies where indicated ie. excising muscle tissue and this is the next step for me and feels intuitively correct

Hope this information is useful:

https://www.zaghimd.com/frenuloplasty-how-we-do-it

Here are some testimonial videos (in link above)

I think you should watch these two at least - very short

Rebecca the former ballet dance who seems to exhibit hypermobile featues offers two informative videos where she describes changes to her limbs, muscle, integration of kinetic changes etc

She moves her body and limbs around while expressing the profound changes in her body.

Professional Dancer's thoughts Post Functional Frenuloplasty (Tng-tie Release) with Dr. Zaghi

GB Post Frenuloplasty Followup with Rebecca (professional Dancer)

Frenums, Fascia and Physiology by Dr. Soroush Zaghi

Testimonial of a Somatic therapist (trauma) - VERY IMPORTANT to listen too

https://youtu.be/BM3TmSXhUIw?t=149

See her comments in the screen capture below and additional video further below

Somatic therapist above comments on improvements after THIRD layer incised by somatic therapist above in a different video clip including posture and dowagers hump!

https://youtu.be/BM3TmSXhUIw?t=4127

There is a few seconds of a moving "fascia man" prior to the clip. It is about 20 seconds long. It is followed by 3 different (short 20s) testimonials all expressing marked improvement in different areas, almost as soon as the final layer is clipped or incised.

From the same video

Frenums, Fascia and Physiology by Dr. Soroush Zaghi & Sanda Valcu-Pinkerton, COM - at AAPMD 201

https://youtu.be/BM3TmSXhUIw?t=4130

------

He has a course doctors can take but it around 2,000 USD

The other option would be collect the information on his site and present to a good ENT or Maxillofacial Surgeon

Here is an informative response by Dr Zaghi from an interview in 2019

https://dental.thedawsonacademy.com/tongue-ties-restricted-fascia-and-mouth-breathing

Dr. Soroush Zaghi: Traditionally, you just go in and cut the mucosal frenulum underneath the tongue. The problem with doing that is that in some cases there are still further restrictive fascial or muscular bands that will continue to limit complete mobilization of the tongue. Also, the wounds are left open to heal by secondary intention, so there is a risk that the released tissue can scar back down. Finally, in the traditional technique there is little emphasis on the pre-and post operative care which play in immense role in optimizing the long term result. We contrast that with our functional approach where we work in therapy beforehand to get the tongue adequately toned and strengthened; the release is performed to the appropriate extent necessary to maximize mobility and may include mucosa, fascia, or muscle; and sutures are used to allow healing by primary intention. The major difference is the multidisciplinary protocol that integrates myofunctional therapy and sometimes physical therapy before and after surgery. Myofunctional therapy is like physical therapy for the tongue and is so very important for proper healing and recovery. For example, if you have a knee replacement and you do not do any physical therapy ...well, then you're not going to get a great result. The same principles apply to tongue-tie surgery, where the pre and post-operative therapy will make or break your results.

------

This is an important (free) paper in the field

What is a tongue tie? Defining the anatomy of the in-situ lingual frenulum

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30701608/

This figure is instructive and would be useful to show your treating clinician

Unlike Dr Zaghi they comment:

Implications of New Anatomy Findings for Frenotomy Procedure

The floor of mouth fascia is continuous with the superficial layer of connective tissue on the ventral tongue, with no deep extensions into genioglossus and no fibers extending directly into the median septum of the tongue (Figs. (Figs.10,10, ,11,11, ,12).12). Further, we found no evidence of tongue restriction caused by deep connective tissue or genioglossus, therefore there is no anatomical indication during frenotomy for deep incisions into muscle. Deeper incisions would lead to increased pain and local inflammation and increased risk of significant scarring.

Evidently clinical experience is at a high volume centre is at odds with this anatomical study in cadavers which cannot engage in dynamic testing of tongue position and symptoms.

Also see:

Timothy J. King: Interaction of tongue-tie with the fascia system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SPxFR7wcA

----

Try this? Advise this after watching previous video for some context

Get your first finger and thumb and pinch at the base of your tongue and start massaging and work backwards as deeply as you can.

You may find areas of tension or tightness which respond to digital massage. Also try moving your tongue while applying pressure.

If you get temporary improvement in symptoms it may suggest that you have a tongue tie issue

Hope this helps!

If it is helpful please like!

I welcome all comments and will do my best to answer them.

If you send it to other people post their thoughts especially what healthcare professionals think, this would add validity to the posted information.

P.S. I used to be a 6th year (final) medical student till my health made be pull out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2021 4:26 pm
dadfa
Eminent Member

Are there any tests or symptoms one can do or observe for a suspected tongue tie?

Thank you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2021 9:00 pm
ninjaB

@dadfa

Please read and review my post and the links first

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2021 12:06 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

@ninjaB

Excellent post, and a great resource. I've post it around and also look at exploring further in an article.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2022 9:27 am
ninjaB

Great thanks for the endorsement TGW.

I really hope it is of help to others 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2022 12:38 pm