Forum

Please Note: The Users of this site are not engaged in rendering professional advice or services to the individual reader. The ideas, procedures, and suggestions contained within this work are not intended as a substitute for examination by your medical practitioner.

Cracking/Popping noise heard every time I swallow.  

RSS
Mewingworks123
(@mewingworks123)

I Have been mewing for several months and have seen positive changes to my facial form. 

When I swallow correctly, where I push my tongue up relatively hard into the roof of my mouth, I hear a crack each time around both ears. Wondering what this could be?

This topic was modified 5 days  ago by Mewingworks123
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 6:28 am
Sclera
(@sclera)
Trusted Member

Chances are you're releasing sutures or bones, like a chiropractic adjustment. I don't get it while swallowing, but I do get them sometimes when yawning, or stretching and then relaxing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 8:46 am
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator
Posted by: Sclera

Chances are you're releasing sutures or bones, like a chiropractic adjustment. I don't get it while swallowing, but I do get them sometimes when yawning, or stretching and then relaxing.

I used to think this too, but it's probably just the eustachian tubes moving:

Since there are no sutures near the ear canal:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 9:00 am
Sclera
(@sclera)
Trusted Member

Oh fascinating! Do you think it's a sign of general improved function, or is there no correlation?

Also, I haven't experienced it myself, but I wonder if there's a way for the tongue to manipulate the sphenoid depending on where the wings are.

Reading up on Eustacian Tube Dysfunction...ringing some bells for a friend of mine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 9:16 am
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator

Yes definitely, given that the palate is wide enough, the natural function of the posterior tongue is to push against the lower portions of the sphenoid bone (pterygoid hamulus), which can be found behind the molars above the soft palate. I think this is largely the reason posterior tongue is so important to mewing and proper swallowing. It would mean that mewing is above all natural neurocranial restructuring, not just bone remodelling per Wolff's law.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 10:03 am scerif liked
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member
Posted by: Progress

I used to think this too, but it's probably just the eustachian tubes moving

You could be right, but I still believe the shifting sounds that I hear frequently in my right ear and occasionally in my left ear represent mobility of cranial sutures. I first noticed the sounds while wearing my palate expander and applying a handheld massager against various spots of my maxilla. Often the expander would not feel as tight after these sessions, especially when I heard the shifting sounds. Maybe I was imagining it but I could almost feel slight releases of tension with the little pops/cracks. I got to the point where I could elicit these sounds by just pressing up on my palate with my tongue, sometimes even in both ears. Now that I have finished using my expander, I notice the sounds are also intensified by using my myobrace. I've found that I hear the same sounds if I push up on the zygomatic processes of my maxilla with my thumbs inside my mouth, or if I push against the frontal processes of the maxilla along the side of my nose, or if I grab my hair in my hands and pull up or forward. I'm not sure how most of those forces would shift the eustachian tubes except indirectly through shifting of the cranial bones along the sutures.

This post was modified 4 days  ago 2 times by Apollo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 6:51 pm
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator
Posted by: Apollo

I used to think this too, but it's probably just the eustachian tubes moving

You could be right, but I still believe the shifting sounds that I hear frequently in my right ear and occasionally in my left ear represent mobility of cranial sutures. I first noticed the sounds while wearing my palate expander and applying a handheld massager against various spots of my maxilla. Often the expander would not feel as tight after these sessions, especially when I heard the shifting sounds. Maybe I was imagining it but I could almost feel slight releases of tension with the little pops/cracks. I got to the point where I could elicit these sounds by just pressing up on my palate with my tongue, sometimes even in both ears. Now that I have finished using my expander, I notice the sounds are also intensified by using my myobrace. I've found that I hear the same sounds if I push up on the zygomatic processes of my maxilla with my thumbs inside my mouth, or if I push against the frontal processes of the maxilla along the side of my nose, or if I grab my hair in my hands and pull up or forward. I'm not sure how most of those forces would shift the eustachian tubes except indirectly through shifting of the cranial bones along the sutures.

Are you able to locate the source of the sounds? Do they originate clearly from inside the ear, or are they just audible sutural shifts that occur elsewhere in the cranium?  Besides hearing the shifts, can you feel them too?

This post was modified 4 days  ago by Progress
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 7:49 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
Reputable Member

Are you able to locate the source of the sounds? Do they originate clearly from inside the ear, or are they just audible sutural shifts that occur elsewhere in the cranium?  Besides hearing the shifts, can you feel them too?

The sounds seem to originate from within my skull and reach my inner ear by bone conduction rather than by air conduction. The exact position seems to vary a little depending on where I apply the force, but it's most often somewhere behind my right ear, even if I am applying the force on the left side of my face. I doubt that someone next to me would be able to hear the sounds from outside. I think this is analogous to placing a tuning fork against the forehead or the mastoid process or holding a ticking watch between your teeth. Those sounds are distinctly conducted through the bone to the inner ear and become louder if you close the external auditory canals with your fingers. I hear the sound both when I apply pressure with my tongue or fingers and when I release the pressure. The sound seems to be more sharp and distinct as I release the pressure as if it falls back into place. If I do it repeatedly, I start to hear it behind both the left and right ear, as if I've gotten the fibrous joints loosened up and more mobile. I think these might also be the sounds I've occasionally heard during self NCR sessions. They make me want to see what a craniosacral therapy session could elicit with adjustments like those shown in the video DeepSquat posted last night (  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/this-video-shows-some-interesting-animations-craniosacral-osteopathy/# ). I should also say that the sounds seem different than the pops from equalizing pressure in my eustachian tubes from changes in altitude, etc. These sound more like a crackly crepitus rather than pops of air passing through the eustachian tube, but I guess it could be a variation of the same thing.

This post was modified 4 days  ago 5 times by Apollo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2018 8:43 pm
Progress
(@progress)
Member Moderator
Posted by: Apollo

The sounds seem to originate from within my skull and reach my inner ear by bone conduction rather than by air conduction. The exact position seems to vary a little depending on where I apply the force, but it's most often somewhere behind my right ear, even if I am applying the force on the left side of my face. I doubt that someone next to me would be able to hear the sounds from outside. I think this is analogous to placing a tuning fork against the forehead or the mastoid process or holding a ticking watch between your teeth. Those sounds are distinctly conducted through the bone to the inner ear and become louder if you close the external auditory canals with your fingers. I hear the sound both when I apply pressure with my tongue or fingers and when I release the pressure. The sound seems to be more sharp and distinct as I release the pressure as if it falls back into place. If I do it repeatedly, I start to hear it behind both the left and right ear, as if I've gotten the fibrous joints loosened up and more mobile. I think these might also be the sounds I've occasionally heard during self NCR sessions. They make me want to see what a craniosacral therapy session could elicit with adjustments like those shown in the video DeepSquat posted last night (  https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/this-video-shows-some-interesting-animations-craniosacral-osteopathy/# ). I should also say that the sounds seem different than the pops from equalizing pressure in my eustachian tubes from changes in altitude, etc. These sound more like a crackly crepitus rather than pops of air passing through the eustachian tube, but I guess it could be a variation of the same thing.

Ah, I agree, those are definitely sutural shifts. Your description sounds very similar to the ones I experience daily, behind the ear at the posterior base of the skull. Craniosacral therapy would likely help with releasing things further. I personally have developed an isometric exercise/pose that produces a mass amount of these shifts. There is more to be said about it, but the basic point is to indirectly tighten the SCM muscle by using the shoulder & upper back musculature so that you get the clavicle to pull the mastoid process away from the cranium.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2018 8:19 am Apollo liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register