Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Could someone help explain the tongue sweep to me? I have 2 questions, does anyone feel confident about it?  

RSS
MagnumOpus
Eminent Member

Hi guys,
I've had this issue for some time and have asked questions on here without figuring it out. My questions are: are there 2 slightly different kinds of swallows? And also, how exactly do you the tongue sweep?

1: Do you guys feel like there are 2 types of swallows? One is the mini-swallow(I will call MS) and one is the tongue sweep swallow( I'll call TSS, which is just doing the tongue sweep and then swallowing the collected saliva from that). In more detail: I start with the tongue on the roof of the mouth. Then, I do MSs a number of times before having to do a TSS. In each miniswallow, the tongue pushes up on the roof of your mouth, and you don't swallow much saliva, which is why I call it the miniswallow. I would estimate I do 3-4 MSs before having to do a TSS. The cycle of 3-4 MSs and 1 TSS takes about 15 seconds, so I do this whole thing 4 times per minute.

I do the MS a couple times while saliva is building up under the tongue but I don't need to get rid of it yet. Then after 15 seconds or so, there is enough saliva built up under the tongue that a TSS is required: in the TSS you move the tip of the tongue down, which sucks the saliva on top of the tongue, and then you can push the tongue against the roof of the mouth to swallow. After this, the mouth is relatively dry again and the cycle of 3-4 MSs and 1 TSS continues. Do you guys experience the same thing?

2: My next question is about how exactly to do the tongue sweep and the tongue sweep swallow. I have asked this in my topic/post history and haven't figured it out. 

When doing the tongue sweep, if I don't have any suction in my mouth the saliva won't rise up on top of my tongue. Alternatively, if there is suction on the roof of the mouth, if I sweep the tongue tip down to collect the saliva it will cause me to suck on my teeth/lips at the front of the mouth. So I can swallow with my teeth and lips together, but I thought there was not supposed to be any suction on the teeth. I am not sure how you can get the saliva from underneath the tongue to on top of the tongue without sucking on your teeth/lips slightly. Do you guys end up sucking on your teeth when doing the tongue sweep?

Sorry about the long post!! Thanks for your help. 

-MO

Posted : 21/11/2018 1:14 am
suzybee

I have the same problem when my lips are closed, but if i swallow with an open smile, I can scoop the saliva with my tongue and swallow without any suction at all. So I try to do the same with closed lips. I really have to concentrate to do it, though, so most swallows are not perfect.  

I'm new though, so maybe someone will come and correct me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 10:50 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I think the tongue sweep is the hardest thing to learn when it comes to mewing. My understanding is that tongue sweep does not suck the saliva onto the tongue, but rather scoops it up like a spoon. I’m not sure why you are getting suction on your teeth and lips in the front of the mouth when you do this. I would focus really hard on keeping your lips relaxed as you are sweeping the tongue under the saliva. Try keeping your teeth together, but your lips ever so slightly separated. I think part of the problem is we are not used to shaping our tongue in that manner. It may just take many months of practice.

My problem when swallowing is I feel saliva collecting in my cheeks. I can’t seem to collect it on my tongue without sucking the saliva through my back molars. The only way I can get it out of there without the cheek muscles is by smiling and sucking air through my teeth. Not really a habit and I want to encourage. I have been trying to get used to just letting this saliva sit there. Feels pretty annoying though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 7:41 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

As far as you having to alternate between several mini swallows and then one tongue sweep, that's pretty much what I do as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 7:46 pm
sinned
Estimable Member

@suzybee I had this problem as well. I would only swallow by parting my lips a little so I could just scoop all the water with my tongue. What I've learned and realized to be able to swallow keeping my lips closed is to engage the front of the tongue. I don't know how to explain really but when I swallow I push my the front of my tongue against the area above my teeth. 

@MagnumOpus I understand what you're saying and I've had confusion about this as well. What I've come to understand through experience is that it's fine to not be able to totally swallow everything at once.  With that said, in my opinion, the tongue sweep should happen after an initial swallow, otherwise the only way in my experience to tongue sweep and scoop all the water is to part my lips, if not I feel like I'm sucking in with my teeth. 

Here's what I suggest and what I do, like I already said, when you swallow you should engage the tip of your tongue, this will help guide the water to the back of your tongue and down your throat.  Basically just push the tip of the tongue against the alveolar ridge region while you swallow. For me at least, I can't scoop up or sweep with my lips sealed, it feels like there's suction and it's impossible for the tongue to sweep, unless I part my lips. With that in mind, you swallow with your lips sealed, pushing the tip of the tongue, and there will probably be some liquid left behind, so just scoop up the water and swallow again.

On another note, it's totally fine if you need to do multiple swallows and even a mini or half swallow. Sometimes there's too much food in your mouth, the sheer amount of food means some food will already be near the back of the tongue, so in that case just do a mini-swallow to swallow just that food in the back, using your tongue of course. This might apply to liquid as well I'm not sure, I just find this happens to me when I'm eating food most of the time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 3:44 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member
Posted by: ShaktiOm

I think the tongue sweep is the hardest thing to learn when it comes to mewing. My understanding is that tongue sweep does not suck the saliva onto the tongue, but rather scoops it up like a spoon. I’m not sure why you are getting suction on your teeth and lips in the front of the mouth when you do this. I would focus really hard on keeping your lips relaxed as you are sweeping the tongue under the saliva. Try keeping your teeth together, but your lips ever so slightly separated. I think part of the problem is we are not used to shaping our tongue in that manner. It may just take many months of practice.

My problem when swallowing is I feel saliva collecting in my cheeks. I can’t seem to collect it on my tongue without sucking the saliva through my back molars. The only way I can get it out of there without the cheek muscles is by smiling and sucking air through my teeth. Not really a habit and I want to encourage. I have been trying to get used to just letting this saliva sit there. Feels pretty annoying though.

Since commenting on this thread, I have really been focusing on my tongue sweep and I notice that I also feel some suction from my lips. When I pull my tongue back and begin to sweep my tongue under the saliva, I am definitely creating a little bit of suction with my lips which pulls the saliva onto my tongue. So I followed my own advice, and tried it with my lips slightly apart but had very little luck. Instead of my tongue scooping the saliva up, I just get a little bit on my tongue and push the rest towards my teeth. I keep wanting to put my lips together and create the suction again.

Maybe my tongue just isn't talented enough. Some people can fold their tongues into all sorts of shapes. They would probably be much better at the tongue sweep than I am. My swallow is definitely much better than it used to be, so I'll just keep practicing I guess, and wait and see if my chubby cheeks get smaller over the months and years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 7:33 pm
MagnumOpus
Eminent Member
Posted by: ShaktiOm

Since commenting on this thread, I have really been focusing on my tongue sweep and I notice that I also feel some suction from my lips. When I pull my tongue back and begin to sweep my tongue under the saliva, I am definitely creating a little bit of suction with my lips which pulls the saliva onto my tongue. So I followed my own advice, and tried it with my lips slightly apart but had very little luck. Instead of my tongue scooping the saliva up, I just get a little bit on my tongue and push the rest towards my teeth. I keep wanting to put my lips together and create the suction again.

Hi @Shakti_om, @sinned, and @suzybee, thanks for responding to my post. Shaktiom, you are in the same position as I am right now. That slight amount of suction you are referring to is necessary, in my opinion, to get the saliva up onto the tongue. This suction is created by closed lips at the front, and the back of the tongue blocking off the back of the mouth. These 2 seal off the front and back so there is suction in the middle, and you can move the tip of your tongue without breaking the seal. Mew talks about it in this video which I have watched several times.( The Tongue Sweep - Mike Mew) I got my ideas from this video. He oversimplifies the topic and doesn't go into much detail, but he does mention that you "suck" the saliva up. This makes me think I am roughly correct in my method for the sweep.

Without that slight suction, it is nearly impossible in my opinion to get the saliva from the floor of the mouth onto the tongue. One can scoop a small amount of the saliva with each attempted tongue sweep, but it is only about 1/4 of the saliva you would want to move on top of the tongue. So doing the tongue sweep without suction doesn't do the job nearly as well as with suction as far as I can tell. It leaves the majority of the saliva still in the mouth, a strange sensation I hope I don't have to get used to. 

The suction is definitely useful for a number of reasons. It works better as I said above, and gets rid of all the saliva we want to swallow. It gets the saliva from the floor of the mouth, but also from between the molars and cheeks and any other areas the tongue can't travel. It can also be done with closed lips, which means when we are walking around in public and in our daily lives it is not noticeable; even the slight suction can't be observed when I am looking at myself in the mirror. There is no lip/cheek movement. I believe Mew would agree that proper oral posture including the tongue sweep should be able to be practiced at all times, without a strange appearance (I think having open lips to swallow would look strange). So there are a couple reasons I believe the slight suction + closed lips is normal.

Please tell me if there are any disagreements or other opinions! Thanks.

-MO

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2019 9:47 pm
Jimmy_8x

@suzybee

I registered myself only for this theme. Does anybody of you have new ways or anything else on this topic. I have the exact same problems.. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 5:39 pm
Jimmy_8x

@magnumopus

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 5:40 pm
Jimmy_8x

@shakti_om

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 5:40 pm
Jimmy_8x

@sinned

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2020 5:41 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member
Posted by: @jimmy_8x

I registered myself only for this theme. Does anybody of you have new ways or anything else on this topic. I have the exact same problems.. 

@jimmy_8x

This is my current opinion on the tongue sweep. As has been with all things mewing, this opinion may change and evolve over time.

To be able to perform the tongue sweep perfectly, you need to establish an intra-oral vacuum. An optimal intra-oral vacuum is created when the oral and facial structures are optimal along with proper functioning of the tongue. This is one of the reasons why the tongue sweep is so difficult for people. But this does not mean you cannot accomplish a functional tongue sweep with less than perfect oral/facial structure.

Start off with the tip of your tongue on the spot, establish good tongue posture, and do a micro swallow just using the back posterior third of your tongue. Keeping the middle of your tongue and the back posterior third of your tongue fully engaged, pull your tongue back along the roof of your mouth. You should feel a suction taking place underneath your tongue, in your cheeks, and in your lips. This is normal and will allow you to easily gather the saliva on your tongue. With your tongue pulled back and the feeling of suction taking place, scoop the saliva up with your tongue and swallow. Easier said than done, but all of this should take place without using your lip muscles or other facial muscles.

Achieving this took a lot of practice for me. Some days are easier than others depending on how the shape of my palate feels that day. The main key that I had to implement was keeping the back posterior third of my tongue engaged upward on the soft palate as I pulled my tongue back. This is the key to creating the vacuum that allows you to scoop up the saliva easily. Sometimes I don't even have to scoop it up. I pull the tongue back, lower the front part of my tongue and the saliva automatically travels on top of the tongue.

My teeth contact varies when I do the tongue sweep. I feel like the teeth should stay in contact, but sometimes I have a hard time doing that.

I welcome other opinions on the matter. This is all still a work in progress for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 9:53 am
Jimmy_8x

@shakti_om

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you achieved a hollow cheeks look due to this method? And from your response I understand that it is normal to have a suction on the lips and cheeks but I thought u should only work with your tongue. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 2:03 pm
Jimmy_8x

@shakti_om

And do you ever heard of the Giddy up?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 2:13 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member
Posted by: @jimmy_8x

@shakti_om

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you achieved a hollow cheeks look due to this method? And from your response I understand that it is normal to have a suction on the lips and cheeks but I thought u should only work with your tongue. 

I have always heard that hollow cheeks are achieved by disengaging all of the facial muscles when swallowing (the buccinators in particular).  But in order to disengage the facial muscles, establishing an intra-oral vacuum and perfecting the tongue sweep is necessary. So yes, learning a proper tongue sweep should help you to achieve hollow cheeks. The intra-oral vacuum does intensify during the tongue sweep but I believe it should also be present while in a resting state with good tongue posture and appropriate swallowing taking place. I think a balance is created between two opposing forces, outward with the tongue and inward with the intra-oral vacuum. 

It is appropriate to have a feeling of suction on the lips and cheeks when that suction is created by only using your tongue muscles to swallow. If you are creating that suction by using facial muscles then this would be incorrect. The suction on the lips is not really the external lips. I would describe it as the area inside your mouth, just above your upper lip and just below your lower lip. The soft tissue that rests against your front teeth.  When looking in the mirror and practicing a proper tongue sweep and swallow you should not see your lips move at all.

I have never heard of the Giddy up. I thought that's what you said when riding a horse. 🤠 🤫  What does it mean?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 3:18 pm
Jimmy_8x

@shakti_om

The giddy up is another way of collecting the saliva from underneath the tongue

OH Okey good to know I thought Dr Mike mew said that sucking and suction on the teeth from the mouth and cheeks is bad because you hypertrophy your buccinators. 

And my other question was if you achieved or have a bloated face or hollow cheeks? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 3:53 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I do not have hollow cheeks yet but my face is slimmer than it used to be.  It is taking me a while in my mewing journey to completely disengage my facial muscles when swallowing. I recently started using a myobrace mouth piece which is really helping me to establish the inta-oral vacuum and swallow properly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/01/2020 4:24 pm