Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Could palate expansion alone fix an overbite?  

RSS
UwU
 UwU

I'm thinking about getting a schwarz appliance from braceshop.net for my narrow arch. Could it also fix my overbite (div.1)? I'm 16

Posted : 13/01/2020 1:07 pm
Sceriff
Eminent Member

Bump! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2020 1:04 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Palate expansion + learning lip seal

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2020 10:14 am
Authority

@EddieMoney

Still there is plenty of photos where you can see how they expanded the palate using a device yet the face structure didn't seem to change that much. 

Don't exactly know what the context of that photo is. Just expansion? Also mewing? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2020 12:53 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@authority

If you don't mind, could you provide examples of such cases?

Without having looked at them, I suspect that one possible explanation could be that not everyone here has the same type and degree of CFD. In effect, some will benefit more than others from expansion. It could also be that it takes a while for facial changes to begin manifesting after the palate is expanded, and that it's not enough to simply expand the palate with a device, but that the expansion must be coupled with an improvement in oral posture in order to cause noticeable changes in appearance.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2020 3:29 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @authority

@EddieMoney

Still there is plenty of photos where you can see how they expanded the palate using a device yet the face structure didn't seem to change that much. 

Don't exactly know what the context of that photo is. Just expansion? Also mewing? 

This pic could be mewing or a device. What matters is lip seal + wider palate fixed an overbite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2020 1:52 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

What's the difference in lip seal? Unless she was using her mentalis muscle before, I don't see much of a difference since her lips would still look improved even if this was a surgical result and she didn't consciously change her posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2020 3:02 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@eddiemoney

What's the difference in lip seal? Unless she was using her mentalis muscle before, I don't see much of a difference since her lips would still look improved even if this was a surgical result and she didn't consciously change her posture.

The difference is her excessive overjet went away and her incisors have a normal amount of inclination now. Lip seal is necessary since it helps to align the teeth and prevent them from sticking out too far.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2020 1:50 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

I was referring to how she's sealing her lips in the before and after, not the results of doing so.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2020 6:31 pm