Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Could mewing make me (girl) look more masculine?  

RSS

So. I've seen most people "mewing" and showing the before and after pics are men, and they talk about how it makes their faces look more masculine. I was wondering, since I'm a 14 y.o. female, and I've already got a pretty wide face, a nose with a bump, and a small chin I wouldn't like to make bigger, is there any way it could lead me to looking more manly instead, or is it safe to keep doing it in order to look better? (I'm sorry if you can't understand, I don't speak english very well.) Also, I know it brings along health benefits as well as it improves your appearance, but just wanted to know. I also do thumb-pulling. I think.

Posted : 15/02/2019 12:48 pm
RollyRoo

Mewing is something everyone should do anyway, it's our natural body posture- so I wouldn't worry about it making you look masculine. There isn't a lot of information out there for women from what I've seen but  regardless, mewing only allows you to reach your genetic potential. So if you're a female I doubt it will suddenly turn your face into the Rock aha. (Unless maybe if you applied really really hard constant pressure, who knows). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2019 4:34 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Why do you want a small (I'm assuming recessed) chin?  A recessed chin may appear more feminine... however, that is because we associate recessed chins with quiet, passive, and easy to control.   If someone is easy to tire from an overbite, that is a steep price to pay for the appearance of being feminine.  http://www.airwaydevelopment.com/2014/06/link-airways-obstructive-sleep-apnea-faces/   The connection is the airway.  Being tired means that there is less energy for things like exercise and such.  Anyway, there is truth that the top face models (photographed) tend to be class 2.   That is less from a retrusive mandible than a forward maxilla.  However, there is some truth to models not having had orthodontics.  The most aesthetic is typically the most natural looking and the most healthy.  When you throw camera angles in the mix, all bets are off.  Just because someone is the most photogenic, doesn't mean that they look the best in person.  If you look at Miss. America/Miss. Universe contestants, they are a slightly different breed than commerical models.  In an instagram world, sure, being photogenic is helpful.  There are some ways to help airway outside of orthodontics.  Airway health is very important to sleep.  Even the positioning of a pillow is impacting.  Things like consistent, moderate, seasonally-sensitive exercise has been helpful to airway.  Playing a musical instrument that requires blowing with pressure may help.  If someone has the appearance of a wide face, a more prominent chin can change the perception of the width of a face.  That's even if nothing else changes.  It has to do with lines, flow, proportion... 

Sometimes a bump in the nose is created from a maxilla that is not well supported.  If the maxilla drops or retrudes, it can cause a bmp in the nose.   Additionally, if a maxilla is not placed well, that can impact the development of the mandible.  A recessed chin is more apt to correspond with TMD/OSA.  I will have to put links in here to show how everything is backed up.  Just don't have the time at the moment.

This post was modified 7 months ago by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 12:16 am
elevee
Trusted Member

You can search the web for images of women who have changed oral habits, used mewing, had palate expansion or myofunctional therapy...from what I have seen, these women look substantially prettier afterward. The patients on this therapist's websites are great examples.  https://www.honorfranklin.com/myofunctional-gallery.html

Basically in either sex you get more pronounced cheekbones, defined jaw, wider smile, more wide-open eyes, and greater balance and symmetry--which are definitely pretty on a feminine face.

This forum seems to be heavily populated with men who also frequent other forums dedicated to 'lookism', ie men who are obsessed with the idea of looking more masculine so that women will like them, and so you get tons of weird threads about how to increase measurement Y to get a lantern jaw like celebrity X. This is not terrible, but it does give the impression that if you do these healthy things you will somehow magically end up looking like a man. You won't. You will look like a healthy, balanced, well defined version of yourself, just like the ladies in the link above.

In fact, I bet that if you started a thread asking for results from women specifically, you would get a lot of really interesting answers!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 11:00 am
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

No you definitely won't make yourself look more masculine by mewing. If it's true that it's possible to make bone changes by hard-mewing up until the late teens (as some think - it's up for debate though), then all that's going to happen is that you're going to get sturdier, more aesthetic looking bone structure. 

"Sturdy" looking bone structure doesn't make women look masculine. It makes them look more beautiful. Recently I've been noticing some really beautiful women around town who have prominent cheekbones and horizontally projecting mandibles, and if anything it just makes them look even more feminine and beautiful. 

Some things to consider:

1) Wide faces are considered aesthetic, on women and men. Not *too* wide (e.g. bruxism), but width in itself is not just a masculine trait. 

2) Dorsal humps on noses are often caused by downward growth of the maxilla. When the maxilla is pushed forwards and upwards, the hump shrinks or disappears and the nose projects more and becomes more upturned. This looks VERY feminine and beautiful on someone with a forward maxilla. 

3) You say you don't want your chin to get any bigger. Really though, chins usually only look too big when they're contrasted against a recessed maxilla. People often think their chin needs to be reduced when in actual fact a far more aesthetic result would be to grow the maxilla to a size and position that's proportional to the chin. Then, the chin looks perfect. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 9:06 pm
Posted by: darkindigo

Why do you want a small (I'm assuming recessed) chin?  A recessed chin may appear more feminine... however, that is because we associate recessed chins with quiet, passive, and easy to control.   If someone is easy to tire from an overbite, that is a steep price to pay for the appearance of being feminine.  http://www.airwaydevelopment.com/2014/06/link-airways-obstructive-sleep-apnea-faces/   The connection is the airway.  Being tired means that there is less energy for things like exercise and such.  Anyway, there is truth that the top face models (photographed) tend to be class 2.   That is less from a retrusive mandible than a forward maxilla.  However, there is some truth to models not having had orthodontics.  The most aesthetic is typically the most natural looking and the most healthy.  When you throw camera angles in the mix, all bets are off.  Just because someone is the most photogenic, doesn't mean that they look the best in person.  If you look at Miss. America/Miss. Universe contestants, they are a slightly different breed than commerical models.  In an instagram world, sure, being photogenic is helpful.  There are some ways to help airway outside of orthodontics.  Airway health is very important to sleep.  Even the positioning of a pillow is impacting.  Things like consistent, moderate, seasonally-sensitive exercise has been helpful to airway.  Playing a musical instrument that requires blowing with pressure may help.  If someone has the appearance of a wide face, a more prominent chin can change the perception of the width of a face.  That's even if nothing else changes.  It has to do with lines, flow, proportion... 

Sometimes a bump in the nose is created from a maxilla that is not well supported.  If the maxilla drops or retrudes, it can cause a bmp in the nose.   Additionally, if a maxilla is not placed well, that can impact the development of the mandible.  A recessed chin is more apt to correspond with TMD/OSA.  I will have to put links in here to show how everything is backed up.  Just don't have the time at the moment.

Thanks for replying. No, my chin is not recessed, both my parents have a small chin so I'd think it's genetic. I'll take into consideration what you said, and hope for the best 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 8:48 am
Posted by: elevee

You can search the web for images of women who have changed oral habits, used mewing, had palate expansion or myofunctional therapy...from what I have seen, these women look substantially prettier afterward. The patients on this therapist's websites are great examples.  https://www.honorfranklin.com/myofunctional-gallery.html

Basically in either sex you get more pronounced cheekbones, defined jaw, wider smile, more wide-open eyes, and greater balance and symmetry--which are definitely pretty on a feminine face.

This forum seems to be heavily populated with men who also frequent other forums dedicated to 'lookism', ie men who are obsessed with the idea of looking more masculine so that women will like them, and so you get tons of weird threads about how to increase measurement Y to get a lantern jaw like celebrity X. This is not terrible, but it does give the impression that if you do these healthy things you will somehow magically end up looking like a man. You won't. You will look like a healthy, balanced, well defined version of yourself, just like the ladies in the link above.

In fact, I bet that if you started a thread asking for results from women specifically, you would get a lot of really interesting answers!

Thanks for the reply! Having read lots of threads by men for men, and considering there's like, one picture of a girl showing her before and after, I thought it may work better on them. And there should definitely be a thread for women! I'd love to see their changes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 8:50 am
Posted by: AlphaMinus

No you definitely won't make yourself look more masculine by mewing. If it's true that it's possible to make bone changes by hard-mewing up until the late teens (as some think - it's up for debate though), then all that's going to happen is that you're going to get sturdier, more aesthetic looking bone structure. 

"Sturdy" looking bone structure doesn't make women look masculine. It makes them look more beautiful. Recently I've been noticing some really beautiful women around town who have prominent cheekbones and horizontally projecting mandibles, and if anything it just makes them look even more feminine and beautiful. 

Some things to consider:

1) Wide faces are considered aesthetic, on women and men. Not *too* wide (e.g. bruxism), but width in itself is not just a masculine trait. 

2) Dorsal humps on noses are often caused by downward growth of the maxilla. When the maxilla is pushed forwards and upwards, the hump shrinks or disappears and the nose projects more and becomes more upturned. This looks VERY feminine and beautiful on someone with a forward maxilla. 

3) You say you don't want your chin to get any bigger. Really though, chins usually only look too big when they're contrasted against a recessed maxilla. People often think their chin needs to be reduced when in actual fact a far more aesthetic result would be to grow the maxilla to a size and position that's proportional to the chin. Then, the chin looks perfect. 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've seen some girls with strong features who are very beautiful, I just don't know if I could pull it off. I don't *actually* know how wide my face is, since in the mirror it looks normal, but in pictures it's a whole different thing. But anyways, I'll continue mewing, although I think the nose bump is genetic.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 8:54 am
Whistler

What is the difference between Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy and 'Mewing'?What defines 'Mewing', that it is called Mewing, and not O.M.T? 

This post was modified 7 months ago by Whistler
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 12:57 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

Do start a thread of women's photos and chat! I'd love to see it and contribute as I could!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 3:25 pm
xeuronholder

Adding onto what AlphaMinus said, Mewing is also about making your features more harmonious, creating a look that is aesthetically pleasing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2019 6:36 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register