Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Could chewing on Premolars causes overbite?

Mewgang

As a kid, I had a relatively good occlusion, no crooked teeth, and not too bad of an overbite but as I found out about mewing and started chewing more, my overbite got worse.  I realized recently (from a post on here) that I have been chewing on my premolars.

Since the top incisors are not able to really stop your bottom incisors when you bite, the first place that the teeth catch (if we move front to back) are the premolars. And we have all heard that the more chewing you do - the shorter your face will get. Well, I did a ton of chewing BUT just on the premolars. Hence the premolars regressed into the gums slightly.

This will be hard to explain but I think, regressed premolars can act as a pivot point for your jaw. The more the premolars get chewed on the shorter they get and due to the lower incisors sliding up and back on the backside of the top incisors - the jaw moves back. This leaves the molars with a space and I can only assume they supraerupt. I have a graphic I have made below, I tried my best to show my thoughts. Thanks!

Topic starter Posted : 01/03/2021 12:29 am
TheBeastPanda
Trusted Member

Hmmm... interesting post, so do you advise or dissaude someone chewing on the premolars? What teeth do you advise someone chew on in general for optimal aesthetic and functional benefits? So you're saying as someone chews on the premolars and wears down the teeth the jaw slides back (mandible) into a class 2 recessed position and the molars supraerupt? Interesting....

Also quick question, when chewing does most of the force get applied to the maxila and rest of the cranim/facial bones or does most of the force get absorbed by the teeth and gums?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2021 10:17 am
Mewgang

@thebeastpanda I'm definitely not an expert but I would chew on my molars, not my premolars, as for your last question, I don't know. I would assume a mix of both absorbs the force.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/03/2021 12:09 am