Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Correct Mewing/Tongue Posture for Overbite Correction  

RSS
itsj0nny

I believe that my maxilla is not too bad but I definitely have a recessed mandible that has cause an overbite as I grew up. I believe correct posture to be the tongue up but teeth positioned so that the molars are aligned and touching or slightly apart. However, I have seen a few people say that with an overbite you should align the front teeth and the bite will adapt over time. Can anyone confirm/deny this please? Thanks

Posted : 21/04/2019 9:33 am
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member
Posted by: itsj0nny

I believe that my maxilla is not too bad but I definitely have a recessed mandible that has cause an overbite as I grew up. I believe correct posture to be the tongue up but teeth positioned so that the molars are aligned and touching or slightly apart. However, I have seen a few people say that with an overbite you should align the front teeth and the bite will adapt over time. Can anyone confirm/deny this please? Thanks

i too would like to fix my over bite, but there are no clear answers on this it seems. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2019 9:43 pm
itsj0nny
Posted by: JeanMacDougall

i too would like to fix my over bite, but there are no clear answers on this it seems. 

From what I've been reading here and elsewhere online, mewing should fix this by causing CCW rotation of the maxilla, which then allows the mandible to rotate and come forward to correct overbite. I'm going to mew and incorporate some chewing on a daily basis.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2019 4:40 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Palate expansion allows the mandible to rotate clockwise which itself corrects overbite. I have seen lots of progress from this myself. The maxilla rotates counterclockwise away from the mandible while this happens.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2019 3:45 pm
bu20 liked
itsj0nny
Posted by: EddieMoney

Palate expansion allows the mandible to rotate counterclockwise which itself corrects overbite. I have seen lots of progress from this myself. 

Great thanks, what's your routine, age and how long have you been mewing/practicing your routine?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2019 4:21 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

Palate expansion allows the mandible to rotate counterclockwise which itself corrects overbite. I have seen lots of progress from this myself. 

Great thanks, what's your routine, age and how long have you been mewing/practicing your routine?

I have been mewing since late 2017/early 2018. I am 33 this year and I do mewing, chin tucks, upper trap work, free hanging on pull up bars, and only since maybe 2 months ago have finally gotten my entire posterior third on my palate. Keep in mind that the reason I have an overbite is because it was previously an underbite. But the ortho just extracted two premolars (bicuspids) from my lower arch/mandible to shrink my lower arch to fit under my narrow upper arch. So my underbite became an overbite. So expanding the upper palate has really helped my mandible placement and opened my bite. It has also helped with symmetry.

I may have had faster success if I got my posterior third up faster. But since my lower arch was so small, keeping teeth together at rest caused the tongue to not fully engage. So after learning to jut my jaw properly like the attached pic do I get full posterior third engagement.

This then has allowed the rotation of the jaws away from each other, making the bite less of an overbite.

If you have a wide intermolar width and you have an overbite, maybe consider an appliance that also puts pressure on the canines to expand. I find a wide intercanine distance can make the difference. I personally just push hard with my tongue against the canines. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 9:29 am
Autokrator, testing777, itsj0nny and 1 people liked
itsj0nny

I think I have a very small IMW (low 30s if that) so very hard for tongue to fit up there and it overlaps onto the sides of my molars. Are you suggesting to jut jaw forward to get more of the tongue up there? That feels unnatural and while it creates more space for the tongue it doesn't feel like correct posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 11:18 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @itsj0nny

I think I have a very small IMW (low 30s if that) so very hard for tongue to fit up there and it overlaps onto the sides of my molars. Are you suggesting to jut jaw forward to get more of the tongue up there? That feels unnatural and while it creates more space for the tongue it doesn't feel like correct posture.

No, it's dependant on every person's individual case. What is your bite structure?

If your tongue pushes against your molars this can help expansion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2020 10:29 pm
maxillary

I don't believe there is any "special" mewing technique for you to correct your overbite. You mew ahead and let things grow as the years go by.

The tongue covers your entire roof of the mouth, so everything should be secured. I lessened my deep bite naturally, and I never had my front teeth aligned or any teeth. I believe having your teeth to be in contact when you suffer from a severe malocclusion that applies an unsafe amount of pressure on your jaw joints, should not be recommended. There is a lot of misalignment. Freeway space is ideal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2020 7:09 pm