Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Clenching, cross bite, scalloped tongue, airway... help me

Freddie
Eminent Member

That’s not my first post on this forum, but its getting worst with time. Some people tried to help me there and I thank them but I just can’t.. Mewing causing me stress and extreme anxiety I just think im gonna give up.  Because of the lack of air I feel like im gonna gone crazy at any second, I dont know if im mewing right. I dont know if im swallowing right. In top of that I  discovered that mewing caused me a scalloped tongue. What should I do ? Just stop ? Im 19 and dont wanna waste my time my face is already enough damaged like that. I noticed that I clenched because of stress too. Should I buy an expander to expand my palate without having all that problems ? And then try to mew again ? I’ve heard that if you relapse it will be even harder.. Please help me I know I can change

Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 8:40 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

What do you mean by scalloped tongue?

From the breathing difficulties you describe it sounds like you are severely recessed. Using an expander probably won't give you the relief you are looking for.

If possible, I suggest as a first step to get checked by a good orthodontist. Have him take a cephalometric x-ray and dental impression. This can really explain why you are having such a hard time posturing your tongue.

For example if your cephalometric x-ray reveals that your SNA is 75°  we know then that you lack forward growth. If your dental impression reveals that your inter molar width is 29mm we know you have a very narrow arch/palate.

Each condition will tell you more about your case and why you are struggling. If this is not possible share your pictures perhaps they can reveal something about your case.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2019 10:29 pm
Freddie
Eminent Member

When I look at my tongue there is a lot teeth marks on each side but not on the front. I guess that my palate got a lack of transverse grow, I’ve seen on the website that its possible to change that puting the tongue on the alveolar ridge and mid-palate ridge :  https://the-great-work.org/common-tongue-posture-mewing-problems-and-solutions/

Should I still attempt to buy an expander ? 

I’ve trained my tongue a lot the past weeks (exclusively tongue chewing my food) as not doing enough tongue posture due to stress and difficulty to breath. Now it is way wider than my palate. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/03/2019 11:51 pm
Freddie
Eminent Member

Tongue fully scalloped due to mewing. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/03/2019 12:01 am
Freddie
Eminent Member

And there is my palate.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/03/2019 12:03 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Interesting, your arch does not seem too narrow. People with very narrow and recessed jaws tend to have allot of crowding. You have a full set of teeth including the wisdom molars. But on the other hand you have tongue scalloping which can be a sign that you don't have enough space. I am not sure about your case that is why I advice seeing an orthodontist.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 6:25 am
Freddie
Eminent Member

I live in france and the only orthodontist that I consulted near me said that it was impossible for an adult to grow the palate without surgery.. Can not consult anyone else in my current situation.. I try to figure out what I need to do.. Keeping the tongue up there until it expand ? Buying an expander and trying to do that by myself ? I dont wanna ruin my teeth which i could highly risk If I dont be carefull with the expander. I really need to get out of this situation. If anyone have an advice about palate expander or anything else im here. I thought about buying this one : https://www.bracesshop.net/en/clear-retainers-and-fake-braces/32/palatinal-expander?c=56

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/03/2019 7:34 pm