Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Class 3/Underbite with recessed maxilla questions  

RSS
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member

Hello, after going to the dentist’s a few days ago I learned about what type of maloclusion I have, a mild class 3. This is an underbite where the mandible comes forward, but not the maxilla. If I work on proper tongue posture, nose breathing at night etc., and my maxilla come forward, will my lower jaw come forward too and create an even worse underbite? I’ve heard multiple theories and was wondering if anyone had a definite answer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 4:56 pm
Ayla31
(@ayla31)
Trusted Member

Since the tongue is attached to the mandible, improving tongue position and function should improve jaw position as well. Try to check if you have tension in your mandible and neck muscles and if yes, to free them. As for other changes, no, I don't think it will make your underbite worse.  Your mandible looks bigger, because your maxilla is not very developed in comparison (and also because of your tongue resting in a low -and probably a forward- position). So when your facial muscles and tongue function properly in a balanced way (for ex. with a lip seal, masseter's strength), the relationship between jaw and skull should improve. Expanding the maxilla would also create space so that the teeth meet .

This post was modified 1 week ago 5 times by Ayla31
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 5:42 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Reputable Member

Take intermolar width and vertical growth indicator measurements. This way you can track maxilla progress. I hear face pulling may be effective for what you need as well. @Keengo has a good method 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 6:24 pm
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

Take intermolar width and vertical growth indicator measurements. This way you can track maxilla progress. I hear face pulling may be effective for what you need as well. @Keengo has a good method 

How do I take those measurements?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2019 7:24 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register