Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Chewing, ramus length, and decreasing gonial angle  

RSS
adcr
 adcr
Eminent Member

I recently bought a large pack of Falim gum, which is that really tough Turkish gum people in the mewing community seem to like. I was curious on how consistent (several hours a day) chewing of this gum would affect the gonial angle and ramus over the course of a few months. Would it increase the length of the ramus and decrease the gonial angle, since you are engaging the muscle in the jaw area more often?

Posted : 11/07/2020 5:13 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

My own personal experience with chewing was :

1. Whole face shorter, lower face became relatively shorter.
  2. Wider zygos.
  3. Gonial angle was shortened a lot, at the same time the gonion moved backwards to maintain occlusion.
  4. Longer and thicker ramus.
  5. Shorter teeth.
  6. Relatively more skin/fat per area of face because of facial shortening.
  7. Maxilla rotated clockwise.
  8. Nose bigger/moved more forward.

I would draw the effects like this, blue before and red after :

I would say except for the zygos, chewing isn't worth it aesthetically, if you search up bruxism, that's approximately the direction my face was heading with a lot of mastic gum chewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2020 4:03 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus

When you say your nose got bigger, do you mean because it came forward? If so, isn’t that strange? I would expect the rest of the face to come forwards, together with the nose. Also, how does chewing even create forwards growth in the first place? I thought it just was for widening of the face and straightening of the teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2020 4:42 pm
CrimsonChin

@auxiliarus How long did it take to get that change? I've been chewing mostly mastic gum on and off for years and wouldn't be able to say with confidence if I got anything out of it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/07/2020 5:24 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @loliboly

@auxiliarus

When you say your nose got bigger, do you mean because it came forward? If so, isn’t that strange? I would expect the rest of the face to come forwards, together with the nose. Also, how does chewing even create forwards growth in the first place? I thought it just was for widening of the face and straightening of the teeth.

Nose bigger because of clockwise maxilla rotation. Chewing doesn't move face forward, it just rotates upper maxilla forward and lower maxilla downward while also rotating the mandible upwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 9:40 am
Loliboly liked
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @crimsonchin

@auxiliarus How long did it take to get that change? I've been chewing mostly mastic gum on and off for years and wouldn't be able to say with confidence if I got anything out of it.

I could see zygo changes within weeks, the negative effects came from more long-term chewing of half year. I chewed mastic gum, I also chewed using temporalis and open mouth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 9:41 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus
Would you bother to explain how this works? Or maybe tell me where I can read up on this? This is all new information to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 4:28 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @loliboly

@auxiliarus
Would you bother to explain how this works? Or maybe tell me where I can read up on this? This is all new information to me.

Have you checked the temporalis vs masseter thread?

Chewing muscle CSA is correlated with ramus length, ramus width, clockwise maxilla rotation and counter-clockwise mandible rotation, shorter face and shorter lower third.

The results showed that CSA-relaxed was positively correlated with upper anterior face height (UAFH)/total anterior face height (TAFH) and negatively with lower anterior face height (LAFH)/TAFH and LAFH (P < 0.05). CSA-clenched was correlated positively with SN-palatal, FH-palatal, UAFH/TAFH, and lower posterior face height (LPFH)/total posterior face height (TPFH) and negatively with LAFH/TAFH, LAFH, upper posterior face height (UPFH)/TPFH, and UPFH (P < 0.05). Bite force was positively correlated with LPFH/TPFH and negatively with UPFH/TPFH (P < 0.05). As the masseter became larger, the anterior maxillary region tended to shift downwards relative to the cranial base, whereas the posterior region tended to shift upwards. The decrease in LAFH/TAFH and increase in LPFH/TPFH as the size of the masseter muscle increases may be influenced not only by the inclination of the mandibular plane but also by the clockwise rotation of the maxilla.

Look at the temporalis vs masseter thread, you'll see the posterior jaw growing backwards and anterior jaw moving upwards from excessive chewing. Either way I don't think chewing gives a desirable look of the face.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 4:40 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus
I have been thinking about diving into that thread for a while now... Guess now's the time. Thanks for letting me know!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 8:21 pm
Masquerade

@auxiliarus How long did you chew daily ? And how many gums ? I tried to correct an huge assymetry I have with my masseters using Falim but it did little effect, I’d like to hear more of your experience. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2020 5:33 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @masquerade

@auxiliarus How long did you chew daily ? And how many gums ? I tried to correct an huge assymetry I have with my masseters using Falim but it did little effect, I’d like to hear more of your experience. 

Like 4 mastic pieces, probably for about an hour each side. What masseter asymmetry?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 10:05 am