NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Chewing On Something Besides Gum?  

RSS
PaperBag
Trusted Member

I've been wanting to ask this for months and never did because my explanation sounds kind of ridiculous, but oh well. Is there an alternative to chewing gum to develop your masseter muscles? Chewing the gum is impossible for me because every time I've tried, I ended up getting little shards of crystal (when chewing mastic gum) or bits of chewed gum stuck in the side of my throat no matter how careful I am. One of my bottom wisdom teeth has barely grown in, so there's an empty space in my mouth where the gum slips under/past my tongue and into my throat. Sometimes it happens on the other side for some unknown reason, or loops around my back teeth and gets swallowed. This used to cause discomfort and pain for a few days before the gum finally dislodged or dissolved, but I thought I was just being an idiot who couldn't chew gum, so I'd resume trying after a while. I'm talking fragments that could fit under fingernails, not whole pieces of gum. After ignoring my intuition of "maybe I should stop", I kept chewing with the same thing happening, and now have had little chunks of gum stuck in my throat for like 9 months after they didn't dissolve and I couldn't swallow or cough them up. They're so deep and stuck that any coughing/ugly hacking noise won't move it, nor has anything else I've tried, and small crumbs of food frequently get stuck there, as well. It can get pretty painful, especially when trying to do the proper chin tuck and head posture, which puts pressure on where the gum/food is.

My opinion for the past year about why trying to dislodge these bits of gum isn't happening is that my face is both too far back and too narrow, which was no surprise before, of course, but my jaws are in the way and blocking my throat from being able to fully cough them up. It often feels like the back parts of my jaws are resting right above the spots where I'm coughing. I'm wondering if building more muscle tone could assist with being able to cough them up or swallow them, if less of my face was in the way. I've been reading about orthotropics for about two years, but describing this situation is somehow difficult, so hopefully you know what I'm trying to say. Besides that, I doubt I'll get anywhere facially just by doing the tongue posture with such a narrow face, so I need something to square it off that isn't gum.

On breakthematrix, somebody had recommended chewing surgical tubing. The results sound pretty intense, and I'm eager to try it, though the hypertrophy and distortion that was described gets me concerned about breaking my already brittle teeth or dislocating my jaw if not extremely careful, though that could be paranoia talking. Has anybody here tried it? Ideally, I'd want to be able to hold something in my hand while chewing the other end to maintain control, like a rope of tubing without cutting it into pieces or a similar item, since I am apparently unable to chew on gum like a human being. I understand if there is no such thing like this, but after over a year of failure and pain with the gum, I needed to ask. Thanks for reading.

Posted : 10/09/2017 10:10 am
Cassius

Chewing a tube seems the safest option for you. Ever tried to just contract your jaws without biting anything?

Anyway I've never been into chewing hard staff because I'm a second class and every time I try this king of thing I have pain in my joint.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2017 3:26 pm
PaperBag
Trusted Member

No, I haven't tried that. I'm constantly on the lookout for catching myself tensing my jaws/face at rest, since I do it frequently and imagine it would negate any results from tongue posture. Have you seen any benefit from purposely contracting your jaws?

I'm also a class 2 and did get a lot of pain and clicking whenever I tried chewing the gum for long periods, so I understand why you were never into it. Chewing the gum felt like such a chore due to the pain and swallowing it frequently disrupting my rhythm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2017 6:59 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

Chewing will train the masseter muscle. As you push your mandible, and the lower teeth, into the upper teeth you will be causing an upward and forward force. Because of the sheer strength of the jaw, this will loosen up bones which are improperly seated to receive this pressure. The body will respond to both this pressure and the feeling of the teeth being misaligned. 

Do not chew until you are uncomfortable. I implore you to look into the bones and muscles of the spine and skull so that you can recognize the work that you need to do and create your own plan of treatment. See where you are deficient and use your postural corrections to work with your body towards proper development.

Chewing is chewing. If the gum bothers you, use surgical tube or another safe chewable material. 

Has your jaw been designed to be chewing for hours every day? We need no outside source to confirm that this isn't the way You are built. Chewing helps, and chewing something hard for a period of the day will accomplish this. If any sharp pain is felt in the jaw joints or elsewhere, stop and let the body deal with it before trying anything again. 

First, Do no Harm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2017 5:09 pm
PaperBag
Trusted Member

Thanks, TGW. I actually did get started on a self-treatment plan a while ago, where I heavily improved my posture by sitting in a Gokhale chair (claimingpower has covered it before) for a few hours a day and then held this posture while walking outside every day for over a month. This helped a great deal with standing up straight and eventually doing it with ease, including the full chin tuck/head posture, compared to forcing an attractive stance and trying to stand tall with fully tense muscles. Unfortunately, I gave it up because I wasn't chewing on anything or doing proper tongue posture, and figured only hoping for maxilla movement from the forces of head posture would barely do anything. I just ordered some latex tubing, and if that's a practical thing to chew, I'll go for the full regimen (posture/tongue/chewing) and monitor results from there.

The surgical tubing sounded like a much faster way to build the masseters, since the person who recommended it said he only chewed for two minutes a day. Has anybody else tried it? Seems like more people would have been interested.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2017 10:37 am
Cassius

I don't think training hard the masseter is a good idea for people with malocclusion. It could damage your joint and give you a lot of stress. You should work just on your posture for some long time.

I don't contract my jaws but a friend of mine does it and he has good benefits, of course he also chews hard staff but his occlusion is perfect.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2017 4:58 pm
PaperBag
Trusted Member

I just checked my occlusion and it seems to have closed a bit further in the past month or two just from occasional tongue posture. I have a very minor overjet at best and my teeth fit together quite nicely overall, though I'll avoid taking a picture because they're rife with cavities. My palate probably doesn't need any expansion, either, it's just the rest of my face that's mediocre due to being set back way too far.

I'm way too cautious to try a lot of practices (DIY facepulling with hockey masks or belt biting, endonasal balloons), and probably won't contract my jaws, lest I damage them because I'd rather be safe than recklessly injure myself. Maybe contracting them would be just fine when having built up enough muscle tone from chewing, instead of doing it when your masseters are totally atrophied.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2017 9:36 pm
PaperBag
Trusted Member

Well, the latex tubes arrived today and I don't think it's possible to chew them. I just did it a few minutes ago, and the left side seemed fine, but even delicate chewing on the right side (my less developed side) for 20 seconds made me taste copper, so I went to the sink and spat out blood. I'm pretty sure my wisdom tooth doesn't have enough room to come in properly and is pushing against my upper molar. Earlier this year, I had many side effects from taking excess vitamin A, and one of them was spontaneous gum bleeding that always came from that area.

I don't suppose there's a possibility of expanding with tongue posture to get more room? In my above post, I should have said my intermolar width falls into the average range (50+mm), not that I don't need expansion, when I clearly do if all my teeth don't fit. It seems a lot more difficult to expand so that teeth at the very back can fit, compared to expansion that helps nearly every tooth. Being one of apparently very few people who can't chew anything without some type of injury is a huge pain, since it feels like I will never get results without doing it, and I'd rather not become even uglier by taking teeth out of my mouth to fix the problem.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2017 1:07 am
irmathurma

I have been chewing while expanding like recommended and my teeth all seem to be holding their positions while the rest of the skull moves.

I think If I didn't chew the teeth would move more instead of the jaw

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2017 1:53 pm
AutoMod
Member Admin

All Topics Bumped

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2017 8:48 pm
CristinaRose

I chew on the ends of asparagus.  I'll add carrot and celery too, but asparagus mostly.  My left side had to sort of train itself to do round the circular movements, as I normally didn't chew much on my left side.  I expected it to be sore, but strangely, it is my right side, the one I use a lot, that is sore. And my right side is my least attractive side. Switching sides has made me use the muscles differently.  Because they all move, no matter which side you are chewing. But in slightly different ways.  I'm hoping to make my least attractive side more attractive by chewing on the opposite side, the weaker side. 

Anyways, asparagus is the bomb, particularly the ends.  And you can get nutrients and fiber, too.  And it's cheaper, won't hurt your teeth!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 6:03 pm
auxiliary7
Eminent Member
Posted by: PaperBag

Well, the latex tubes arrived today and I don't think it's possible to chew them. I just did it a few minutes ago, and the left side seemed fine, but even delicate chewing on the right side (my less developed side) for 20 seconds made me taste copper, so I went to the sink and spat out blood. I'm pretty sure my wisdom tooth doesn't have enough room to come in properly and is pushing against my upper molar. Earlier this year, I had many side effects from taking excess vitamin A, and one of them was spontaneous gum bleeding that always came from that area.

I don't suppose there's a possibility of expanding with tongue posture to get more room? In my above post, I should have said my intermolar width falls into the average range (50+mm), not that I don't need expansion, when I clearly do if all my teeth don't fit. It seems a lot more difficult to expand so that teeth at the very back can fit, compared to expansion that helps nearly every tooth. Being one of apparently very few people who can't chew anything without some type of injury is a huge pain, since it feels like I will never get results without doing it, and I'd rather not become even uglier by taking teeth out of my mouth to fix the problem.

Have you tried to just chew food thoroughly? Why try to begin at such high intensity?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2018 9:25 am
Parks

trying eating raw carrots, like 1-2 large ones with every meal. you dont even have to swallow them, since you say food gets caught, just spit em out. actually that sounds like an incredible waste, but I imagine it would help with your jaw and would be a cheap and safe way to do it; cheap compared to buying something like the jawcersize. which you could do. I'll link it homey. https://jawzrsize.com/collections/frontpage/products/small-jawzrsize-blue

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/07/2019 7:18 pm