fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

chewing on dog toys + where i feel it being worked on

OpenWide
(@openwide)

so instead of spending on hard gums all the time i decided to buy a small dog toy that i chew 2 - 3 times a day until im sore, has anyone had any experiences with that?

while im chewing i feel the force being applied right between my ear and the cheek apples (i wont be very good at labeling specific areas, sorry, english 3nd language) a little bit down and a little closer to the ear. is this where its supposed to feel?

Topic starter Posted : 29/12/2020 3:59 am
answersfoundingold
(@answersfoundingold)

when I chew hard things, I feel it in my midface on either side of the middle of my nose. I don't know if there is a proper place to feel when chewing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/12/2020 5:52 am
OpenWide
(@openwide)

you feel it in your inner nose? like a separation force?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/12/2020 10:04 pm
dadfa
(@dadfa)
50+ Forum Posts

What kind of toy are you chewing on?  May you provide a picture please

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2021 12:14 pm
judicator.v2
(@judicator-v2)
10+ Forum Posts

dog chewing toys probably contain BPA and Phthalates( even if manufactures say BPA free dont trust them).

those chemicals can screw up your hormones(can reduce testosterone). don't chew dog toys. medical grade rubber silicon rubber is a safe choice, so baby teethers are rater safe choice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/01/2021 11:04 pm
OpenWide
(@openwide)
dogtoy

well im gonna have to find out what are these rubbers named locally and if they're expensive and how to acquire them because a lot of specific field related stuff here are only sold in bulk and to registered companies only

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/01/2021 6:06 am
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)
500+ Forum Posts
Posted by: @openwide

so instead of spending on hard gums all the time i decided to buy a small dog toy that i chew 2 - 3 times a day until im sore, has anyone had any experiences with that?

while im chewing i feel the force being applied right between my ear and the cheek apples (i wont be very good at labeling specific areas, sorry, english 3nd language) a little bit down and a little closer to the ear. is this where its supposed to feel?

This seems like a really interesting idea to experiment on, chewing on something so hard that you can't bite through it would produce much different forces than if it were soft. Also babies chew on hard objects all the time because their teeth itch.

Where do you specifically focus chewing on? Keep us updated on your experiment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 11:34 pm
krollic
(@krollic)
500+ Forum Posts

I'm opposed to these chewing devices (or dog toys lol) for a few reasons.

1.) they are often a rip off. 2.) they don't give you the full range of motion while chewing. 3.) ice cold falim/mastic is a lot tougher than chewing devices in my experience, but you can cut all the way through it) 4.) less comfortable and harder to reposition around your mouth. 5.) can't really work out your tongue by moving the object around and can't flatten the it against your palate with your tongue. 6.) gimmicky and looks absurd. 

@OpenWide you should not be having to buy gum all the time. I literally have a wad of falim gum that I've had for about five months now. sounds gross, but it's not. I chew it with icy cold water to keep it hygienic. it hasn't degraded nor does it smell of anything

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/01/2021 3:28 pm
OpenWide
(@openwide)

@auxiliary I focus force on the molars.

@krollic

1) well these costed me 20 in my local currency which is about 4 US dollars.

2) You are right on the range of motion, I don't move the jaw sideways to reposition like we do with food.

3)I never tried frozen gum, might be an interesting idea, although I have a degree of cold sensitivity.

4)It was somewhat uncomfortable at the beginning because it fixed my tongue down, and as I chewed my tongue tried to unconsciously move itself up, and because it was fixed down I had a little bit of puke inducement. But I quickly got used to it, it's not uncomfortable anymore, and it is very easy to reposition around the molars.

5)Hmm yes, hard gum would also include my tongue, moving around and flattening it. But I also began trying caramel candy, here called butter toffees. It isn't as soft as wad and as hard as those candies that if you bite them they break, and they melt with time. So I can pop one in and slide it with the tongue against the palate. They quickly conform to the palate's shape and I can enjoy sliding my tongue against it, stuck in the palate, until it melts away.

6)Yes, this is experimental, could be bad, good or indifferent. But how absurd? Sounds perfectly reasonable in theory.

Keeping a preserved wad in cold water sounds like a good idea, but would be troublesome for me. My mom hates the experiments I do that fall out of mainstream and I would have to use the fridge, which she moves everything around it when she wants, and if she sees it not only she would bug me endlessly about it also throw it away.

But I also use the toy to face pull, something impossible with gum.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/01/2021 1:15 am

THE GREAT WORK