Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Chewing causes underbite !??  

RSS
haesslicherspast

Hello, I'm totally new to this forum. 

I've been mewing (or at least trying) for almost a year and am primarily focusing on tongue posture. I don't do any additional chewing because I feel my bite is (temporarily) changing when I do so. Normally, when I emphasize on proper tongue posture, my bite is pretty normal with the upper incisors in front of the lower incisors. After a while chewing though, my whole mandible seems to shift forwards causing my bite not to close properly anymore - my incisors then sit on top of each other or my lower ones even exceed the upper ones (slight underbite). This effect wears off after a few hours to a day after quitting chewing. The more I chew and pump my masseter muscles, the more my mandible is shifted forwards causing a slight underbite. On the other hand, the more I push my tongue against the palate, the better my bite feels (more overall tooth space), this is why I only focus on tongue posture/ strength atm.

Does or did any of you experience similar issues and if so, knows a solution to this? This problem has kept me from doing any chewing besides from food. 

Thanks in advance. 

Posted : 07/02/2019 2:37 pm
lil nut
Eminent Member

you might be overworking your masseters so they rest in a contracted position, it seems strange.

You can try to massage your masseters after a chewing workout so they dont stay like that for hours

its its temporary you shouldnt worry about it when i chew my jaw feels tight

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2019 7:40 pm