Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

cheeks becoming less hollow after mewing  

RSS
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member

what am i doing wrong? arent the cheeks supposed to become more hollow?

and how tf do i stop my masseters from being used when i mew push swallow?

for info i still cant get the posterior third up so im just mewing with the tip/middle of my tongue for now.

Posted : 08/02/2019 2:04 pm
Community Lurker

Do a big cheesy smile and try to swallow that way untill you can properly swallow without doing this. Also do a short pause before each swallow. For masseter inactivity i personally practiced swallowing with my mouth not fully closed in order to establish the right muscle-mind connection for swallowing (i noticed i was more inclined to feel my masseters when having my mouth closed, this is now no longer the case however (with some rare casual slip ups)), then when you're confident enough in your swallow you try to do it with mouth closed and try to focus on not using the masseters and instead just use the tongue and a bit in the neck. I'm also pretty sure that making sure your masseters are strong enough to naturally keep your mouth well shut might aid in not feeling extra masseter activation when swallowing as the force of the tongue needs counterforces from the masseters, having them strong enough to easily withstand these tongueforces in their resting position (although don't quote me on this, i'm not completely sure if i'm right on this) .Lastly, just practice and focus (this will probably be needed to force change) on this for a while until it becomes more natural (which it will become over time). Oh and look up how to properly swallow by Dr. Mike, he should have several videos on the topic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2019 3:15 pm
lil nut
Eminent Member

stop looking in the mirror for a year then u can see good changes next time u see yourself

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2019 7:33 pm
lil nut
Eminent Member

stop looking in the mirror for a year then u can see good changes next time u see yourself

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2019 7:33 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

You are clearly using your facial muscles while swallowing and possibly while posturing your tongue. Do you try to keep your tongue suction on your palate all the time?

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2019 11:57 pm
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member

yes. i cant keep it there 24/7 yet though. its probably up there. 6-8 hours a day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 8:21 am
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

In my experience, mewing progress comes in stages, so in various points in time it may look like you look worse.

In my opinion, as the maxilla upswings, there is a certain amount of time before the jaw catches up, and then once the jaw catches up, the maxilla upswings again, and so on and so forth.

During this awkward middle period, the fat distribution in the face is somewhat awkward because the midface is elevated while the jaw is still setback in relation to the midface, so this could explain the temporary "chubby" cheeks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 11:18 am
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member

Hmmmm im skeptical that mewing can change the maxilla of a grown person. i just overlayed some photos in photoshop and my face has not changed one mm since i started so its not the case @yegor_l

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 4:52 pm
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member

i always feel movement in my cheeks when i swallow. is some movement normal? i really dont know how to stop them from working.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 4:53 pm
Yegor_L
Eminent Member

One millimeter is not nothing. Also, with all due respect, there are plenty of examples of mewing making differences in adults, so depending on your effort/correctness of your method, results may vary.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2019 4:55 pm
Community Lurker
Posted by: JeanMacDougall

i always feel movement in my cheeks when i swallow. is some movement normal? i really dont know how to stop them from working.

You should feel close to nothing / nothing in the cheecks. Also read my reply above and watch the videos from Mike. Especially do the latter.

Edit: I've found another usefull way to determine how much work your cheeks are doing when swallowing. It's a bit silly but it seems very reliable for as long as i've done it. Here it is: Simply put your fingers in the inside of your mouth, 1 finger on each side (possibly pull the inside of your cheecks apart a bit, forcing a very awkward small 'smile' basically) and feel the insides of your cheecks as you swallow, you'll clearly notice if your cheecks contract/aid the swallow or not. This will make it easier to distinguish a swallow with or without cheek (buccinator) activation and you'll know what feeling to practice further down the line.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2019 6:12 am
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member
Posted by: Yegor_L

One millimeter is not nothing. Also, with all due respect, there are plenty of examples of mewing making differences in adults, so depending on your effort/correctness of your method, results may vary.

To be more accurate, there are plenty of highly disputed cases of mewing making changes in adults, none of which show anything conclusively that can't be explained by things like different photographic angles, lighting etc. People are making all kinds of claims about the most unscientific photographic "evidence" and it's silly. We've still yet to hear one conclusive success story of mewing in adults causing any kind of bone changes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/02/2019 10:44 am
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member

my bad made a typo! i meant to say "has not changed a single mm" 

i dissagree. theyre all shitty pics with different angles. that guy with he beard in the second pic is horrible and hes changed 1mm at most.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2019 11:58 am
JeanMacDougall
Eminent Member
Posted by: AlphaMinus

To be more accurate, there are plenty of highly disputed cases of mewing making changes in adults, none of which show anything conclusively that can't be explained by things like different photographic angles, lighting etc. People are making all kinds of claims about the most unscientific photographic "evidence" and it's silly. We've still yet to hear one conclusive success story of mewing in adults causing any kind of bone changes. 

this. theyre all bullshit

that asian guy "jack" jutting his jaw forward is the worst.

claims his nose went from completely blocked to 100% open in two weeks. i find that hard to believe. 

then again he did start when he was 15. id like to see a pic of him where his not pushing his jaw forwards. and that jamo guy: bullshit too. all i ever see is people building the masseters. so we know that wroks VERY well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2019 11:59 am