fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can you mew with an Invisalign retainer on?

HappyPanda27

3 years ago I got Invisalign in order to correct my really bad overbite as well as crowding. I finished my braces a while back and now I only wear my retainers all of the time in the house before I eat and take them off when I go out in order to keep my teeth straight. I know that I have to wear the retainer at night simply because my teeth slowly, over time, start shifting back to their original form and I can tell because when I put my retainer back in after a while, it's tighter than before. How would you suggest I go about mewing in this situation? Do I stop wearing my Invisalign retainers all together and just do mewing? Although I have heard bad relapse stories in this case. Can I do Mewing with the retainers on? Should I mew throughout the day without the retainers and then just put the retainers on at night? I would really appreciate advice on what would be best in this situation as I don't really seem to find any clear answers on this.

Topic starter Posted : 17/12/2018 7:21 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Don't remove your retainer, you can mew with it on. After all, what is mewing other than an exercise in building habits? If you succeed in developing the habit of putting the tip of your tongue on the N spot and suctioning then you are ready to experiment with removing the retainer. 

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2018 12:25 am
HappyPanda27

Don't remove the retainer? Like, you're saying I can wear the retainer all of the time and do mewing and still get results? Because someone else on a different forum said this;

"The retainers are basically cages that keep the teeth locked in one position, and if you mew, it's opposing the force by retainer... So it might be contradictory. If you don't want relapse, chew more and develop jaw muscles, chew meat, mastic gum, etc. That will prevent relapse. Tl;dr chew more, develop jaw muscles, mew, opt out of retainers, they may slow development down." 

I was thinking myself of just wearing the retainers at night since I can't really control my tongue to be at the roof of my mouth while I am asleep? I do want to continue mewing for its benefits, but if that means my teeth will go back to being crowded due to not wearing retainers anymore, I do not know what to do in this case. Do you suggest wearing retainers only at night in order to keep my teeth straight or will this give the "stake in the ground effect" where it will loosen my teeth over time or something along those lines?

TL;DR, I am thinking of only wearing the retainers at night because I can't control my tongue to be at the roof of my mouth at night anyway, but unsure if this is the best way of keeping my teeth shape but not loosening my teeth or causing damage and getting the most out of mewing. If someone would let me know their thoughts on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/12/2018 4:44 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Yes continue using the retainer while practicing mewing. After all, how long do you expect to use it for, 6 months? In that time your tongue will become used to mewing and you will have maintained your good detention. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2018 1:07 am
HappyPanda27

Well, my orthodontist did tell me that I must use my retainers at least every night when I go to sleep in order to not relapse and not have my teeth go back to their original crowded position. So that said, I think will I just mew all of the time except for when sleeping and just put on my retainers when I go to sleep since I can't mew while I am asleep anyway.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/12/2018 1:19 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

Do you have to put your retainer for ever? There is no time frame? In that case you will run into conflict, your tongue, after being trained to posture correctly, will try to expand in the day and the retainer will revert everything back in the night.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2018 3:40 am
HappyPanda27

According to my orthodontist, yes I have to have my retainer on at night at least, forever in order to not have my teeth go back to their original crowded form. 

You're saying having the retainer on at night will revert any type of progress I made in the day...? What am I supposed to do then? I don't want my teeth to go back to their original crowded form but I also want to mew... I've heard Dr. Mew in a video suggest putting a fixed metal retainer on the back of the 4 front teeth for this case? But I am not sure how effective this is... I'm really torn on what to do here... Should I just risk my teeth reverting back to their original position by not wearing my retainers at all anymore for the sake of being able to do mewing? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/12/2018 3:50 pm
LizzyBennet

Hello, I saw this while searching for situations similar to myself. I have had my braces out for 14 months and have a fixed retainer on my 6 front bottom teeth and wear Essix retainers, top and bottom, at night (wore them 24/7 for the first 6 months). 5 days ago I decided to stop wearing the Essix retainers, hoping to expand my palate by mewing. Wearing the Essix retainers at night will prevent any gains from being made by returning the teeth to the post-braces position each night. Today I tried on the Essix retainers and they felt tight. I couldn’t tell whether it was because my teeth had moved in a favourable direction (outwards, to create wider arches) or in the opposite direction (inwards, which I definitely don’t want). Since I wasn’t convinced that my teeth were moving outward, I got worried that I was just messing up my teeth, and after some agonising, put the retainers on for the night.

It is a catch 22. Improvements can’t be made if I keep wearing the retainers, but not wearing them could make the teeth worse than they are now. There is no way of knowing which way things are going to go.

I am thinking of trying it again soon. If it is possible to measure miniscule changes in intermolar distance (like, 0.1mm), you could measure it every day, and stop the experiment immediately if the intermolar distance reduces rather than increases. However, I can’t think of a way to measure such tiny changes in intermolar distance accurately.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2019 9:56 am