Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can you Mew while asleep?  

RSS
krollic
Reputable Member

I just wanna gauge how many people here can do this and how important do you think it is for progressing. I get that it speeds up results substantially but do you think that not being able to night-mew makes your efforts get reverted?

Posted : 23/03/2018 10:24 am
Apollo
Reputable Member

I don't think I'm very successful at maintaining correct oral posture during sleep. Anyone with a narrow palate probably won't have enough tongue space to unconsciously maintain the right posture because it impinges the airway. I think one of the advantages of using a palate expander is just preventing transverse relapse during sleep. However, this morning I woke up with the impression of the expander prominently pressed into my tongue, showing the back edge of the expander and the split down the middle. Maybe this is a sign that it is getting easier for me to keep my tongue pressing up during sleep now that I have expanded by 2-1/4mm. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2018 3:08 pm
Meltcel
 Meltcel

Yes. As my tongue has occupied more space in my palate I can maintain this position well 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2018 7:01 pm
Greensmoothies
Estimable Member

I can do it, but I need to be in a Mackenzie chin tuck. Back of the neck is tall and stretched, and sometimes I use the edge of a pillow, my pony tail and a hand to hold it all together and help with feeling comfortable. For me, all this makes it not a conscious mewing effort so much as positioning is doing the work. Since I wake up in this position (when I manage to fall asleep this way) and can feel the pressure that was on my skull, my belief is I was mewin' all night long.

It's probably one of the harder mewing-related things to do, at least seems that way to me. You'll still make progress without doing this but I believe it helps significantly to mew while sleeping. I've been mewing several years and didn't do any sleep mewing until I read about it a year ago, still progressed prior to starting this practice but it was just slower. Not doing sleep mewing shouldn't cause progress to revert, I'd think just certain medical events or ceasing to mew through the day would do that.

Btw look at infants and how they sleep (when supine). Chin is on the chest, arms may be up as well.

Remember this pain... and let it activate you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2018 8:38 pm
Apollo liked
Angelina

I wake up with my tongue firmly against the palate, but there's no much force pushing, after reading @greensmoothies comment i started to think that my night routine could be better. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2018 5:10 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @greensmoothies

I can do it, but I need to be in a Mackenzie chin tuck. Back of the neck is tall and stretched, and sometimes I use the edge of a pillow, my pony tail and a hand to hold it all together and help with feeling comfortable.

I am thinking of adopting this particular method of using a pillow after I recently realized that there is no other way of mewing while sleeping this early (I'm only two months in). But wouldn't this cause other problems as this is not the proper way to chin tuck (the neck is elongated exceeding the Frankfurt plane)? @progress I would like to hear your thoughts on this as well.

I always go to sleep hard mewing but when I wake up, only the tip of the tongue is sticking to the palate and I can feel no after-effects of any pressure exerted (Jamo on the other hand, mentioned soreness from night-time mewing iirc) as I do during the day time which means no progress happened at all during sleep.

I think this is also why many people don't progress much despite mewing for long periods of time, as they are mewing as much as possible during the daytime only to have the progress made possibly undone during sleep.

If we are talking about sleeping for 8 hours and the rest of the day hard mewing (ideal scenario for someone who can't mew while sleeping - besides not everyone hard mews or does mewing for every waking minute) then he really progresses at 1/3rd of the maximum rate possible. Practically taking two steps forward and one step back. This is also possibly why Jamo mentioned night-time mewing as very crucial. I believe that's also why he progressed so much within a year. Like an average person's (who can't mew while sleeping) 3 - 6 year transformation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 3:00 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

When I started mewing, I couldn't do it at all during sleep. I would sleep with my mouth open, and frequently wake up with drool on my pillow. This continued for over a year. Eventually - I guess due to the fact that my daily technique was improving - I started waking up with my mouth closed some of the time. My tongue still wasn't in the right place, but the change indicated some progress. This developed over months until I started waking up with my mouth closed most of the time. I noticed then, that whether I woke up with my mouth open or closed depended on my sleep quality. Going to bed anxious or in a bad mood, eating a lot of food shortly before bed, or heading to bed while under the influence of some drug (alcohol, sleeping pills, marijuana) usually meant that I'd wake up with drool on my pillow in the morning. Conversely, good sleeping hygiene made it more likely for me to wake up with my mouth closed.

I'm still struggling with keeping my tongue up while asleep, but I've made some progress in this regard over the past few months. Replacing my pillow with a hard, folded towel and training myself to sleep on the side helped (previously, I'd sleep on my stomach). Now, I wake up with my tongue in the right place maybe 1/3 of the time (when previously this never happened). I still drool, but very rarely, and it's no longer because my mouth is open; it's because my saliva trickles through the corner of my lips, though my bite remains closed. I guess this indicates that I have to work on my lip seal during sleep as well.

In any case, the puzzles are slowly coming together.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 1:34 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @elwynn

When I started mewing, I couldn't do it at all during sleep. I would sleep with my mouth open, and frequently wake up with drool on my pillow. This continued for over a year. Eventually - I guess due to the fact that my daily technique was improving - I started waking up with my mouth closed some of the time. My tongue still wasn't in the right place, but the change indicated some progress. This developed over months until I started waking up with my mouth closed most of the time. I noticed then, that whether I woke up with my mouth open or closed depended on my sleep quality. Going to bed anxious or in a bad mood, eating a lot of food shortly before bed, or heading to bed while under the influence of some drug (alcohol, sleeping pills, marijuana) usually meant that I'd wake up with drool on my pillow in the morning. Conversely, good sleeping hygiene made it more likely for me to wake up with my mouth closed.

Interesting. I am glad I mouth-taped from day one. Why didn't you do the same? How long have you been mewing for?

I'm still struggling with keeping my tongue up while asleep, but I've made some progress in this regard over the past few months. Replacing my pillow with a hard, folded towel and training myself to sleep on the side helped (previously, I'd sleep on my stomach). Now, I wake up with my tongue in the right place maybe 1/3 of the time (when previously this never happened).

Do you have your whole tongue up? Or just the tip? I only have the tip up by morning most of the time and this could be because of the lack of tongue strength, tongue relaxing since I'm asleep or improper suction (I sleep on my back without a pillow 99% of the time).

I still drool, but very rarely, and it's no longer because my mouth is open; it's because my saliva trickles through the corner of my lips, though my bite remains closed. I guess this indicates that I have to work on my lip seal during sleep as well.

This happens to me too sometimes despite the taping which means I still haven't perfected the lip seal even with mouth-taping for two months. I hope it resolves itself in the coming months.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 10:11 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@azrael

Interesting. I am glad I mouth-taped from day one. Why didn't you do the same? How long have you been mewing for?

I found taping to be annoying. I've tried various tapes, and they all left residue on my lips or caused discomfort otherwise. I guess that I could have figured out how to make the process, but I wasn't very motivated to do so, since I'm more focused on addressing the root causes; and mouth taping only addresses the symptoms.

Do you have your whole tongue up? Or just the tip? I only have the tip up by morning most of the time and this could be because of the lack of tongue strength, tongue relaxing since I'm asleep or improper suction (I sleep on my back without a pillow 99% of the time).

It varies. If I wake up with my tongue up, sometimes it covers my entire palate; other times, it's just the tip and mid-section (without the posterior third). In general, I do not find it difficult to suction-up any portion of the tongue individually. Actually, I can quite easily raise the tip and mid-section, or the posterior-third and the tip, or the posterior third and the mid-section. What I find challenging is suctioning-up all the three segments of the tongue at once, and maintaining this posture. I occasionally succeed doing this while sleeping, and when I don't, then I probably have 2/3 of my tongue up. Rarely, I wake up drooling. It's a mix, but there's definitely been an improvement.

I find that sleeping on the side works best for me, since it's easiest to maintain good oral posture in that position. I don't think I ever fell asleep on my back, and I'm surprised that it's the default for some people.

This happens to me too sometimes despite the taping which means I still haven't perfected the lip seal even with mouth-taping for two months. I hope it resolves itself in the coming months.

Right. I can form a strong lip seal, but it's very difficult to maintain it, because I've got proclined incisors (the front teeth on the top and bottom stick outwards). My lips naturally separate in a relaxed state because my teeth push them apart, and it takes a lot of suction to overcome that. An orthodontist in my area who performs expansions told me during a visit that if my palate were to expand, those incisors would rotate inward a bit (which is what I want). Hopefully, I will be able to accomplish this.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2020 1:13 am
Azrael liked