Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can we use a palatal expansion device on an asymmetrical palate?  

RSS
throwawayNGUK

Hey there,

I have read on some forums about palatal expansion devices in order to widen my narrow upper palate and create more space for my crowded teeth. My teeth are fairly straight as it is, but on the left side they lean inwards a bit. I am tempted to buy one of these palatal expanders(the y-plate one)  because I am afraid that the teeth will not be pushed out and only one side of the palate will expand. What are your thougths on this? Are there any devices you could suggest?

Posted : 20/06/2018 6:32 am
Apollo
Reputable Member

Yes palate expanders can be used on asymmetric palates. However, I recommend that you find a functional orthodontist to guide your treatment as the device will need to be adjusted throughout the course of expansion to maintain good fit and avoid side effects.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 12:11 pm