Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can we get a Q&A with John Mew?  

RSS
printfactory
Eminent Member

I understand Mike Mew is very busy but maybe his dad has more time on his hands?

Posted : 14/10/2019 1:01 pm
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

John's pretty busy too, but I can ask him. I'll only approach him if there's a substantial amount of questions which haven't already been answered or that are specific to the Mew's ideas

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 4:51 pm
JawShrunk123

Where can we ask the questions? 

Is mewing and pushing the maxilla up when you have a high arched palate bad for you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 10:03 pm
Elwynn

I've got a question, in case it hasn't been asked before: The point of tongue suction has been addressed several times before, but I'm curious as to whether we should be employing this suction between tongue and palate, tongue and back of the throat, or both. I can suction my tongue to my front and mid palate, but when I section it to the back of the throat, it blocks my airway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2019 11:25 pm
printfactory
Eminent Member

Well, here are my questions. I have watched a lot of orthotropics videos and read a lot in this forum, but haven´t found conclusive answers to them. If some of those questions have been answered already, don´t make sense or are not worth asking please let me know!

• John Mew stated recently in a facebook post that teeth in contact are what mainly pushes the maxilla up. The tropic premise says that teeth should be in light contact for 4-8 hours a day. Wouldn´t individuals with a downswing maxilla benefit from stronger teeth contact for a longer time then?

• Is teeth contact still recommended when you don´t have perfect occlusion? I am worried that bad occlusion will be reinforced and the resulting forces on the maxilla will lead to asymmetries.

• Should the tongue be sucked up against the roof of the mouth or pushed against it?

• What´s your opinion on hard-mewing? (Pushing/sucking the tongue strongly against the roof of the mouth, instead of just resting it against it). What could be the possible benefits/dangers of doing so?

• Do retroclined upper incisors prevent forward movement of the maxilla?

• Assuming teeth are the main force behind moving the maxilla up and forwards, would the upper and lower incisors and canines not touching lead to the front part of the maxilla dropping down? Are the front teeth touching a necessity to grow the maxilla forward?

• The orthotropic community recommends treating deep bites in children by bringing the maxilla up and forwards. But what is the recommended treatment for deep bite in adults? Would you recommend to do conventional orthodontics for adults or just keep the deep bite untreated?

• One video on the orthotropics youtube channel states that deep bites are actually hidden bilateral posterior open bites, when the jaw is in its resting position. Should the resting position of the jaw be changed (basically staying in the deep bite position while resting) or should you make an effort to try and chew while in the posterior open bite position?
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2019 8:31 am
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register