Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can their be relapse with a bimax surgery

mr.mewing
Estimable Member

Topic starter Posted : 25/03/2021 1:14 pm
Mr_Man
Eminent Member

Yes, it did in my case, though mine is a class III.  Not sure if the upper jaw moved back some or if the lower jaw grew some afterward (I was 19 at the time of the operation), but I suspect mostly the latter.  Having had braces at the time and then later having them removed could have possibly also been part of the relapse.

I talk about this in this whole thread:  https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/probably-need-another-double-jaw-surgery-cephalogram-attached/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2021 1:48 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@mr_man ah oke thanks for reacting you say in your case discussion that it was probably because your bones were too thin is this a risk for relapse?

because then it would be a high risk for girls to have some relapse because they have thinner bones

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/03/2021 1:13 pm
Mr_Man
Eminent Member

@mr-mewing

I suppose so, but I'm still thinking the main issue with the relapse is not so much the upper jaw retruding, as it was the lower jaw growing a little bit afterward (I'd say I grew a bit between age 19 to 20, which isn't too rare for a male).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2021 4:59 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@mr_man ah oke yeah I was wondering like the jaw moving forward isn't a bad thing except that you had before that a malocclusion III which is relapse.. for you

but do you think you can grow your mandible also when the maxilla isn't expanding with it or is that impossible? so simply said your maxilla keeps the mandible locked up. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/03/2021 6:10 pm
Mr_Man
Eminent Member

I know less about that, but I suspect that it would be harder to move/grow/remodel than the upper

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2021 10:40 pm
mr.mewing liked