fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can the maxilla be pushed forwards from the mouth without moving the alveolar ridge?

Fluffycutecat
Eminent Member

I’m thinking of using an orthodontic appliance to pull forward my maxilla via pushing the top of the palate. But I’m concerned that any sort of pushing the palate forwards, even if it doesn’t touch the teeth, will push forwards the alveolar ridge and ruin the front teeth.

Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2020 11:10 am
Fluffycutecat
Eminent Member

Do orthodontic appliances, such as the dowden face pulling appliance, have the potential to move the alveolar ridge forward? There doesn’t seem to be a point where the alveolar ridge ends below the nasal cavity.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2020 11:14 am
Limebike
Eminent Member

@fluffycutecat What do you mean by ruining the front teeth? It may bend the alveolar bone and thereby tilt the front teeth that are in the bone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2020 11:37 am
Fluffycutecat
Eminent Member

I’m concerned about the teeth falling out by the teeth being pushed out of the alveolar ridge, like what is reported to happen to some people who use the AGGA appliance. The AGGA appliance pushes a part of the palate just behind the front teeth, as some people say pushing this point causes bone growth.

A face pulling orthodontic appliance often pushes a similar area forwards.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/10/2020 11:11 pm
Limebike
Eminent Member

@fluffycutecat It is not that the AGGA pushes on the palate that is the problem, it is because it pushes directly on the teeth (the canines), and the teeth are bonded together via a lingual wire, the front teeth are actively pushed upon.

If you only push on the palate, I can't see how the teeth might be pushed out. You may get some resorption of the bone on the lingual side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 10:40 am
Meowxilla
Trusted Member

I think AGGA is bad device overall. Dowden seems better since it's actually pushing on bone and with some upwards vector component.

If you have overbite i think actually you need to push theeth back up. That's my opinion.

Some AGGA patients report theeth being loose and hurt very much. AGGA is pushing on theeth too much. That's my limited knowledge on it, also it does not rotate maxilla , only induces foward growth of "theet part". Excuse my vocabulary.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2020 5:50 pm
Fluffycutecat
Eminent Member

@meowxilla

But the dowden appliance is pushing against the alveolar ridge, which contains the teeth. People who use the AGGA appliance on their teeth don’t have tipped teeth where the teeth are angled away from the tongue, but the entire tooth has been pushed forward. Wouldn’t the dowden appliance (or similar orthodontic appliances) cause the same effect?

Even if the teeth remain healthy, what if these appliances just move the alveolar ridge away from the maxilla (since the alveolar ridge is more easily moved), and leave the rest of the maxilla where it is?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/10/2020 9:49 pm
Meowxilla
Trusted Member

@fluffycutecat

That could be the case, i don't know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2020 6:35 am