Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

can root canal/dental fillings have an effect on facial development?  

RSS
Slinky
Trusted Member

can it recess you even further or only extractions do that?

Posted : 25/05/2019 10:27 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

No it should not, because it's attempting to save the teeth or whats left of it versus extracting it.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2019 10:57 am
Slinky
Trusted Member

makes sense. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, i was just curious 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2019 11:47 am
LastQuestion

Fillings no. Nothing worth noting as most dentists aren't going to totally mess up the bite with a filling - they'd have to be drunk or super lazy and ignore the patients complaints when they say the bite feels off.

Root canal. Kind of. Keeping the tooth makes sure the peridontal ligament stays active, and that's key to getting a lot of the remodeling processes to occur. And mechanical stimulation through the tooth in a physiologic manner can still take place, mostly. What's unknown is how much the pulp, the odontoblasts, play in the larger scope of things. They're involved in tooth movement, but how much do they contribute to true remodeling of the maxilla/mandible? I'm not sure. I would have to ask an ortho as that is their specialty and not currently on my list of things to research. I would hazard, a root canal have some impairments in orthodontic treatment. It wouldn't recess the face, but...in my case a molar root canal with a bad crown contributed to shifting my bite and the development of my TMD. Contributed to...not caused. The tooth being RC'd didn't cause it, just the restorative treatment that needed to occur after the RC.

So, as with everything, the truth is complicated, even if it can be summarized into a simple answer, as abdul was so kind to do for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2019 2:39 pm
Slinky
Trusted Member

Even if RC has an effect on your face, proper oral posture should prevent the downswing from happening 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2019 12:56 am