Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can Rapid Palatal Expansion cause asymmetry by separating the maxillary suture TOO quickly, which will allow uneven fibrous tissue to fill in the gap?  

RSS
MagnumOpus
Eminent Member

Just a question about faster ways of palatal expansion. There is Rapid Palatal Expansion, which is a older/ well-known technique that many people have had done. Maxillary Skeletal Expansion (MSE) is a newer rapid method being discussed on this forum.

I had RPE as a child (10+ years ago) before having conventional braces, and an orthodontist I visited recently said this may have caused some asymmetry long-term. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I believe it was that when expanding relatively quickly, the maxillary suture separates quickly, but since bone cannot grow that quickly, the gap in the suture will fill in unevenly with connective tissue at first, which will cause long-term asymmetry. I have some asymmetry now and I was wondering if the RPE I had 10+ years ago was a cause. Also, there has been much talk about the MSE which also expands the maxilla quickly, so I wonder if this could cause asymmetry by the same logic.

On the other hand, the orthodontist said the ALF would help with my narrow palate and helped fix asymmetry, so it is possible he was only saying the bad effects of RPE to help make the ALF look better. Any input on this? Thanks.

-MO

Posted : 20/12/2018 3:46 pm
Topic Tags