Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can mewing help me fix my recessed mandible?  

RSS
BP101

Idk guys but isn’t mewing suppose to move only your maxilla forward, making your mandible even more recessed? And your overbite even worse? 

Doesnt make sense to me when people say it will improve your mandible. 

Tbh I’m really considering BSSO or even a sliding genioplasty if mewing won’t help, cuz I’m already 18 and my bones aren’t malleable anymore I think. 

This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by BP101
Posted : 24/07/2018 5:21 pm
Dominik
Trusted Member

The logic behind it is that mewing done properly pushes the maxilla up and forward, the mandible down and forward, which makes the chin go up and forward again. The part of the bone that is connected to the rest of the skull in the mandible adapts (remodels and lengthens) to it's new rotation as the maxilla moves forward and up out of the way of the mandible giving it space to rotate up. I have seen this happen in ppl as old as 28.

You are lucky to be so young, you have time and with some effort within a year or 2 (same period as with braces btw) your face could be fixed, resulting in a more prominent chin and strong jawline.

Just mew (tongue position) and swallow properly 24/7, don't mouth breathe and chew mastic gum an hour a day equally on both sides. I set a timer for 30 minutes for each side and about 15 minutes front teeth chewing. Other than this getting to around 14% bodyfat and either lifting or calisthenics with improved body posture will do wonders for the jawline as well. I suggest you get fit.

A study done on women aged over 18, for 8 months of myofacial therapy has shown significant changes in facial development. I have the link somewhere on this forum. Your bones only stop being malleable when you die.

The downside of not mewing tho is that your face will get progressively worse as you age and mouth breathing has some really shitty consequences for your general health.

I have had previous orthodontics work (braces) reverse on me, where teeth have begun to move back to their initial position because of my poor tongue posture. Every healthy person needs to adopt proper tongue posture for the rest of their lives, its how your face is meant to function.

EDIT link to study: https://symbiosisonlinepublishing.com/dentistry-oraldisorders-therapy/dentistry-oraldisorders-therapy35.pdf

Extract from the link:

Conclusion

A high correlation coefficient between myofunctional therapy in adult patients and intercanine width was found for the upper arch. Repositioning the tongue and practicing muscular exercises for the lips, tongue, face and posture lead to an increase of maxillary intercanine width of 3.2 mm in average and changes of the upper lip length of 5.4 mm within roughly eight months.Changes in the dental formation can therefore be influenced by muscle therapy in non-growing patients.

This post was modified 1 year ago 7 times by Dominik
ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 12:19 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Thanks for the post Dom. Great info.

Also, if someone has a genetically small mandible, maxillary recession will only make things WORSE since the mandible has to sit far back to maintain occlusion.

Even if condyle remodeling never happens, giving a small mandible room to move forward will only make the face look better.

OP keep in mind the mandible can slide forward to close the mouth. So moving the maxilla forward gives the mandible room to jut. 

Try this exercise. Jut your jaw forward to where you have an underbite. Now imagine if your maxilla went forward to meet it. Your submental region improves and your chin prominence increases just from the jutting. The difference is when the maxilla moves forward that you aren't frauding a jut anymore and you wouldn't  have an underbite 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 9:01 am
BP101

Alright I have a few questions. So do I keep jutting while mewing? And should my teeth touch at all? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 10:04 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

No jutting. I meant do that only to see how it improves your mandible position and to show you how moving the maxilla forward will allow you to EVENTUALLY jut your jaw to a better position than now 

For now teeth touch lightly with no additional jutting 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2018 12:31 pm
Dominik
Trusted Member

I almost forgot. IF you do calisthenics or lift, remember to maintain proper posture, to mew and to chin-tuck. Also while doing the exercises you'll notice that you will clench your jaws often and if you mew you will mew harder during physical effort. It contributes to facial development & its partly why ppl change in facial appearance when they get stronger.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2018 6:55 am
James liked
Master1

Would mewing work for me if i start now at 20 years of age?

want to improve my jawline and lower mandible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2019 8:25 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Master1

Would mewing work for me if i start now at 20 years of age?

want to improve my jawline and lower mandible?

Yes the mandibular condyles still remodel at 20 and beyond, it's just a question if weather you will be able to keep your lower jaw closed when you are in deep sleep.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2019 11:18 pm
scerif liked
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register