Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can mewing fix a recessed chin?  

RSS
JFLboyos

I know for a fact that I have a recessed chin. My overbite has been corrected over time since I was like 15 (I’m 18 now). My maxilla is also recessed, that’s for a fact. 

My question is that, can mewing actually make the chin come forward? If you actually look at X-rays of a recessed chin, you’d see that even if the mandible moved forward the chin would still be recessed, since it would be “behind” the area slightly under your lower teeth. 

Take the left image I attached of a recessed chin for example, and compare it with the right X-ray of purely recessed mandible. The chin in the other pic is even to the right of the area beneath the lower teeth. 

Btw, my side profile is extremely similar to the left pic.  

Not sure what caused my chin to be recessed, but I have a theory that only my teeth moved together when the overbite closed, which resulted in a hidden recessed mandible and left the chin to appear receding. 

Posted : 01/10/2018 5:48 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Estimable Member
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Yes. If the pitch of the maxilla is rotated counterclockwise the mandible upswings and "untucks" itself from your neck. 

What mewing CANNOT change is the size of your mandible or the distance from incisors to pogonion (aka the actual size of your bony projection of the chin). If your mandible is naturally small however it will still look a million times better with a forward maxilla since the mandible is now able to slide (protract) forward with the added room from palate expansion and the upswing of the maxilla pitch. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/10/2018 10:47 pm
richardthunder
Posted by: EddieMoney

Yes. If the pitch of the maxilla is rotated counterclockwise the mandible upswings and "untucks" itself from your neck. 

What mewing CANNOT change is the size of your mandible or the distance from incisors to pogonion (aka the actual size of your bony projection of the chin). If your mandible is naturally small however it will still look a million times better with a forward maxilla since the mandible is now able to slide (protract) forward with the added room from palate expansion and the upswing of the maxilla pitch. 

Where can I find average chin width? Can mewing help get rid of the little fat store between the chin and lower lip?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/10/2018 1:18 am
dopafacker
Eminent Member

what do you mean so its over for me i have 5 mm overjet

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2019 6:51 am
thegreatsage

Could the lack of bony projection of the chin be the result of teeth having been moved forward in relation to the mandible with braces, as is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cABYCQNVnE ?

If so, how can this be reversed?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2019 11:03 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

The movement of the chin forward is all individual.   There are many different variables at play, all unique to the person.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2019 11:33 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Keep in mind also that mentalis muscle usage can develop the soft tissue around the chin. Every millimeter helps!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2019 8:13 am
Jawanomics
Eminent Member

Keep in mind also that mentalis muscle usage can develop the soft tissue around the chin. Every millimeter helps!

How would you grow those? Just steroids?

Quantcast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2019 7:26 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Jawanomics

How would you grow those? Just steroids?

Quantcast

Changing how you talk can put repetitive strain on this muscle. In other words move your lower lip in a more exaggerated fashion. I see people with strong chins do this when they talk.

The problem I have experienced is downswing can minimize the use of this muscle. I counteract this with mandible protraction (jaw jutting) when talking and this increases the use of this muscle a lot more. I feel it way more this way. 

Quantcast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2019 11:17 pm
dopafacker
Eminent Member

so its over for people have over jet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2019 11:45 am
Ldog
 Ldog

Over use of mentalis muscle can damage the chin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2019 1:34 pm
bppp
 bppp

@eddiemoney

How is the maxilla being rotated with the tongue? Is the root of the tongue doing this? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2019 10:09 pm
gremlimgobble
  • @eddiemoney I have a question... can mewing bring down your upper jaw so it Dosent look as vertical and more horizontal. Right now my jaw is like a vertical slope in a way. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2020 8:25 pm
gremlimgobble
  • @eddiemoney I have a question... can mewing bring down your upper jaw so it Dosent look as vertical and more horizontal. Right now my jaw is like a vertical slope in a way. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2020 8:26 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @gremlimgobble

Molars usually come down, lengthening the ramus. So yes. It counterlockwise rotates the jaw by bringing the rear part down. Of course this downward motion cannot occur without forward motion. So the rear tongue and front tongue (and middle too) should all be engaged to provide force in all directions. I don't know if this affects the occlusal plane (it may depending on the person's posture)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/03/2020 9:23 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@eddiemoney

To attest to this, I focused on the back of the tongue for a long time, and neglected the mid and front. I think my cheekbones became high-set from this, and I feel a lot of free space in the part of the palate. However, the front of my palate is still pretty narrow.

so yeah I got to focus on all

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2020 8:17 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @oatmeal

@eddiemoney

To attest to this, I focused on the back of the tongue for a long time, and neglected the mid and front. I think my cheekbones became high-set from this, and I feel a lot of free space in the part of the palate. However, the front of my palate is still pretty narrow.

I had the same experience

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2020 1:41 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

@eddiemoney

For how long did you do it? What other changes did you observe?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2020 3:37 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@azrael

9ish months or something like that. It may appear my gonial angle had lowered to around ~120 degrees and soft-tissue improvements to the lips and jawline. Anything other than that I wouldn't know.

What I can say is that the soft palate feels more spacious for my tongue than the front and mid palate. It indicates to me that the soft and mid palate are just as important too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2020 5:45 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael

9ish months or something like that. It may appear my gonial angle had lowered to around ~120 degrees and soft-tissue improvements to the lips and jawline. Anything other than that I wouldn't know.

What I can say is that the soft palate feels more spacious for my tongue than the front and mid palate. It indicates to me that the soft and mid palate are just as important too.

Did eye support increase as well? Any increase in hooding?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2020 5:57 pm
Oatmeal
Trusted Member

@azrael

I already had hooded eyes before mewing, but I can guess they made them more hooded. I don't think my eye support improved that much, I still have some scleral show and tear troughs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2020 8:18 pm
Azrael liked
gremlimgobble

@eddiemoney 

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/04/2020 4:54 pm