fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Buying Palate Expander Online - What do you think to this?.... (I'm from the UK)

faceup

Hi guys. Hope you're all well.

I have been reading up on things like mewing, face pulling, chewing, palate expansion, etc for some time. I have been mewing for a good while too and have definitely noticed changes for the better. I still can't do it 24 hours a day though. To be honest I think I could put more effort in trying to keep the tongue up there.

I think my palate is still a bit too narrow, which makes it difficult for me to get the tongue up there nicely, so I want to buy a palate expander. Reading people's experiences with palate expanders makes me excited. More teeth showing when smiling, cheekbones widening, etc. Something I have noticed with my face is on the side where my teeth are not as wide, it looks worse. My mouth is more droopy and my nose looks bigger than on the other side where the palate is slightly wider.

I came across this website where you can buy a palate expander. I was just wondering what you guys think of it? It looks pretty good to me. I thought i'd ask for your opinion because many of you guys know your stuff.

Website:  https://www.bracesshop.net/en/clear-retainers-and-fake-braces/32/palatinal-expander

I know the ideal thing is to do what's natural and get the tongue up there as a natural palate expander. I plan to do that after it has expanded a bit with that expander from the website. Or I might even just wear the palate expander while sleeping and use the tongue during the day.

I'm from the UK so if anyone knows of any cheaper  or better alternatives, that would be great. I don't mind the price on the website I linked though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Topic starter Posted : 12/12/2018 3:32 pm
Silberman

Same as going to a dentist to have it done I guess, to a fraction of the cost.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 4:26 pm
faceup

Yeah it looks pretty good. I was thinking about making one myself. There's a youtube video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No8JYKJX85c

But I think I might just go and buy one. They also sell other things too. There's a headgear piece here:  https://www.bracesshop.net/en/accessories/45/headgear-and-facebow

There's also this 'Active Plate':  https://www.bracesshop.net/en/active-plates/4/active-plate

I'm not sure if that is an expander too?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/12/2018 4:43 pm
Silberman

Yes, to me, the "active plate" looks like it would work, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 4:54 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

I know the nice thing & problems with these..  I'll charge you for my opinion.  LOL  😉  Problem is... I cannot make a personal recommendation as I'm not a doctor.  But I will say... if my kid had an asymmetrical arc, I'd get that fixed.  Would have to look at underlying cause.  I would personally lean more toward something that has 3 way split and full pour into roof of mouth.  I'd widen the side that needs it, shaving down as I go... but there are just too many factors.  Male/female?  Photo... all that... goals on face... etc.  Missing teeth?  Etc.

Is there a midline shift?  Asymmetrical arches can cause asymmetrical cheeks and eyes.  Resolving it through orthodontics may not be sufficient without identifying and resolving root cause.  I guess that's why orthodontists make so much money.  The thing is... it is all very, very confusing.  I have NATURALLY resolved a midline shift before... but it wasn't through an appliance... it was by being a detective and finding out the root cause and addressing it.  I want to help people make decisions, but I'm not a doctor, so I can't really.  I'll have to look into the laws and stuff more on this.  I know that people can get in a lot of trouble for medical advising.  I also know the ways around it.  Every orthodontist does it.  They say... "If this were my child, I'd do _____".  I've heard it so much it seems like a thing to clear them when medical issues are at stake.  So... I'll have to say if you were my kid... but I just don't have enough information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2018 9:17 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

FYI - retractive headgear is out.  That's not really anything that I've seen being used.  There's only 1 time I've seen it on an orthodontist's website and he's got weird teeth results.  Look up righttogrow.org to get a little educated on it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/12/2018 9:32 pm
faceup

Hey there,

Yes I am thinking about going with the 3-way saggital expander as it only costs a bit more and also I think it might seem to give an expansion the most similar to the tongue (opening up the whole palate and not just the back).

If I do go with the 3-way expander then I might only use the main middle part of it that expands the palate outwards and not even touch the other one. But I might adjust the other areas in the expander if I feel it is right to.  As I have said,  I am going to be extremely careful when doing this. I am not the kind of person that goes into the things stupidly. This my skull! This is serious stuff. I have tried face pulling with my thumbs in the past and in the middle of it I have thought to myself, "What am I doing? Imagine if I broke my maxilla?". It's easy to get too caught up into it without thinking about potential dangers.

I have not ordered the 3 way expander yet as I am going to try another lower priced idea I have first. I will post a thread if I achieve any results. Also, for the past week I have dedicated myself to trying to expand the palate naturally with the tongue and it feels really good. It's not difficult to keep it up there and I can feel the pressure on the sides of my palate. I have also felt things in my cheekbones and forehead... which is a good sign!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/12/2018 9:31 am