Forum

Buccinator muscles in chewing  

sinned
(@sinned)
Eminent Member

When chewing we use the buccinator muscles. Is this of any concern when trying to atrophy the buccinators?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 5:10 pm
Apollo
(@apollo)
Estimable Member

My understanding of the role of the buccinators in chewing is holding the food bolus in position for the teeth to grind up. The tongue can take on some of this function, for example repositioning a piece of gum. However, I think it's not too much of a concern, and if you master correct swallowing technique it will reduce buccinator activation enough to accentuate cheek hollows. I've also wondered if swishing motions for example rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth or the myofunctional exercises where you fill your cheeks up with air and push it from side to side also activate the buccinators and should be avoided.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 7:33 pm
Allixa
(@allixa)
Trusted Member

I developed hollow cheeks while doing lots of chewing so I don't think you have to worry about it. The one catch is that I was doing open mouth chewing, basically you chew without keeping your lips sealed.

There's a thread about it on this forum:

//the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/open-mouth-chewing/

You can also check out the youtube competitive eater Matt Stonie who chews for a living. In his latest videos his buccinators are much more slim and atrophied (even though his job is to be a competitive eater) compared to his older videos. I don't know if he ever said that he started mewing or chewing certain gums but I bet that he found the info somewhere and put it into practice. Also it looks like he is doing more open mouth chewing in his newer videos as well.

So it's definitely possible to develop hollow cheeks while doing lots of chewing. The catch might be having to do open mouth chewing.

Edited: 4 weeks  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 11:42 pm Gregory liked
Yoghurt
 Yoghurt
(@Yoghurt)

also, might it be good to consider possible health risks of over chewing?

//www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-2787,00.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2018 3:21 pm
Gregory
(@gjenopp)
Trusted Member

My ex had wonderful bone structure. Hollow cheeks. Gorgeous.

She could sleep on her back with proper lip seal and as be still as if in a coffin as well! So the airway was clearly good. Never snored, nothing.

well. Her chewing habit was often chewing with mouth open. Full range of motion.

So there’s maybe something to this all! That’s supporting evidence I have to offer.

Now I once asked her about her chewing technique specifically the tongue (sneaky sneaky). I wanted to figure it his out

sorta thought about it and replied yes would bring the tongue up against the palate after each chewing motion. If that helps anyone.

So there is a correlation there; that is what I thought of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2018 9:07 pm
Allixa
(@allixa)
Trusted Member

That's interesting about the tongue. Maybe the palate is supposed to be a surface to mash food against. That's probably what Mew was getting at when he posted his tongue chewing video. I think I've been doing that (using my tongue to mash up food against my palate) a bit more and more often ever since watching that video. Also good to see that she was doing open mouth chewing too. I really think it is legitimate and the proper way to chew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2018 1:05 pm
Gregory
(@gjenopp)
Trusted Member

Agreed. Open mouth chewing is advantageous. Tongue chewing seems a good utilization of all the concepts, but it isn’t as applicable with all foods.

Now just to undo the social programming about open mouth chewing in public.. (half-joking.)

but in me I do notice undoing my habits and breaking down the programming is difficult regarding how much I chew, how thoroughly, swallow pattern. There are Times I still slip up!

this is arguably an important addition.

Open mouth chewing is best for achieving our goals, i do believe it. And so public perception shouldn’t get in the way of that goal, up to a point

It’s just going to be a matter of being discerning about it. Yes whilst eating lunch in the park. Perhaps not so much with friends?

To each their own

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2018 3:28 pm Apollo liked
Apollo
(@apollo)
Estimable Member

<p><a href="//giphy.com/gifs/starwars-movie-star-wars-l1uguRMrHIbxu8c2k">via GIPHY</a></p>

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/01/2018 3:33 pm

Leave a reply

Working

Please Login or Register

For research and dissemination I will be collecting in this community the adult expansion, cranial adjustment, NCR, and face-pulling results. I implore our community users to keep accurate records for themselves and others; these can include dental/palate impressions, before/after pictures, X-Rays and 3D scans.

The purpose of this collection is for use as evidence for theories proposed here. This collection will only be re-posted on this community and will not be submitted anywhere else.

For those looking into expansion and movement in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions alone can be very helpful.

If you have successfully completed any expansion/movement of facial bones and have any of the above records, please submit them to the community with your personal story of what you did and what the results were (use multiple posts if necessary). Palate expansion, Maxilla movement up and forward, development of the orbital rims, zygomatic, and mandible / jawline are of specific interest. Please ensure that pictures are taken with the same angle, distance, and lighting: This will allow the community to see sharper jawline, higher cheekbones, decrease in dark circles under eyes, changes in nose shape, a more oval face, and improved symmetry.

If you wish to share anonymously,please send me a personal message and we will arrange an anonymous transfer. If you do not have any records to share, your personal experienceis also very valuable. Please tell us what you have done and what the results were.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development