Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Buccinator atrophy is nonsense & how to get hollow cheeks

Mendelssohn

If you are just interested to read how to get hollow cheeks, skip the next part and jump to the (*).

I am not questioning the tongue position, since my natural tongue position is and was always the tongue on the roof of the mouth. However I question the "buccinator atrophy to get hollow cheeks" statement. I have "weak" cheekbones but a strong jawline, so no hollow cheeks.

I tried for 2+ months the correct tongue swallowing with the tongue sweep. I watched a lot of videos, I read a lot about it and I did for approx. 1 month the cheesy swallow only. And guess what: I had 0 results from it! It did not change anything at all! There are 3 possibilities:

1. I did not do it correctly.
  2. I already had atrophied buccinators.
  3. Buccinator atrophy is nonsense.

Let's start with 1). Yes that could be. But then question yourself, are you going to do it correctly? Or will you also not do it correctly? I practiced multiple times in front of the mirror. I invested (and wasted) a lot of time. I watched a lot of youtube videos on the correct swallowing, how to use the tongue only et cetera. Of course everyone is free to try, but I think you will waste your time. But hey - if it works in you, consider yourself lucky.

2) If this was the case, then my atrophied buccinators did not give me a "hollow cheeks" look that male models have.

3) I believe buccinator atrophy is nonsense. Here are some thoughts. First the buccinators are mainly used for holding the food between your molars while chewing. Not to suckle. How could you not use them while chewing? It is impossible.

Second what hides your cheek bones is your facial fat - your overall facial fat. And if you atrophied your buccinators, you still have a lot of fat over your whole face. Your buccinators are extremly small muscles, just look at how small your masseter muscles are, which you are using daily a 1000 times more than your buccinators. And if you have a lot of fat in the face and big masseter muscles, you will still not have a good jawline. The fat is the problem not the size of any muscle. And the fat is over your whole face.

Third do you think any of the models or actors with hollow cheeks knows how to do the tongue sweep, the tongue swallow and the cheesy smile etc. Of course not. But they know about nutrition and fitness.

(*) How to get hollow cheeks.

Lose body fat. Anyone with hollow cheeks has very low body fat. Some people have dominant cheek bones which give them at higher body fat levels a hollow cheeks look. But even these people have to have low body fat. All the guys promoting the "correct swallowing to atrophy your buccinators" have something in common. They have very low body fat. They are not at 20% or even 15% body fat. Just analyze there whole face. They have very little fat on the nose, on the cheeks etc.

And even these guys who do this swallowing technique for years, they have not as hollow cheeks as some models. Although you would think, they would have the most hollowish look ever. It is just the body fat.

You lose face fat, when you drop your overall fat in the body. As we age we also lose fat in the face. But if you are old and fat, you still have not hollow cheeks.

The level you have to go to have hollow cheeks varies from person to person. Some people will not have as hollow cheeks as others. But I think most people can have them. I have weak cheekbones, and they became more dominant at around 15%. However I went down to 10/11% and I did not have hollow cheeks. I had to drop even lower and I am currently at 9% body fat and they start to become a little bit hollow. I could not believe it but for my face, the difference going from 15% to 10% was almost smaller than the difference from 10 to 9%.

But do you know how low 9% body fat is? I have muscles from years of boxing and started some years ago to lift weights. My muscles are very defined because of the low body fat. You can see very good all 3 deltoid heads on my shoulder when I flex and I have an 8 pack, when I flex my abdominals. Unflexed I have more or less a 4 pack. Most people have a higher body fat than they think.

It is the fat in your body that gives you vascularity and that defines your muscles. That is why body builders go to low body fat. The same fat also hides your facial features, your jawline, your cheek bones etc. Look at a skull, a skull has the most chiseled face ever because it has no fat.

If you are at 6-8% body fat and do not have hollow cheeks. Then you are most likely are not at 6-8% body fat or you store water or have something going on in your face like inflammation or so. Then check your nutrition. But I guess most of you will be above 10% body fat.

I wish you all good luck with it!

Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2019 9:38 am
mr.mewing liked
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

Good one if you take an example on bodybuilders i see a lot of guys with those hollow cheeks but also a lot witouth

Example zac anysley

Here at 6 to 7 bdf %

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 1:32 pm
Freddie
Eminent Member

I dont know when I started mewing I had instantly hollow cheeks which I never thought I will have in my entire life because of my initially poor jaw and small chin. Im kind of skinny so I guess that there is a factor right there. 5’8 ft for 147 lbs 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 1:59 pm
Mendelssohn
Posted by: mr.mewing

Good one if you take an example on bodybuilders i see a lot of guys with those hollow cheeks but also a lot witouth

Example zac anysley

Here at 6 to 7 bdf %

The hollow cheeks effect is created by the light. If the lighting was better he most-likely would have hollow cheeks. Consider also that many of them use steroids and other substances which may have an effect such as inflammation on the face.

But it is possible to have low body fat and still have a puffed face because of water retentation or inflammation of the face. However it is impossible to have hollow cheeks with high body fat.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2019 5:19 pm
Silver
Trusted Member
Mendelssohn
Posted by: Silver

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/is-this-the-muscle-to-create-hollow-cheeks/

I don't believe that any facial exercise works. Here is why: If you grow your biceps but you have a lot of fat. Then you do not look ripped although you might have big bicep muscles. However a person that has a smaller bicep but less body fat looks a lot more defined. So even if you could grow your facial muscles, they would simply just push the fat if you have a lot of face fat. Besides you are using the masseter muscles a lot more and they don't just grow and grow. It is quite hard to let the masseter muscle grow. Now imagine how long it takes for other facial muscles to grow.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2019 6:05 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

yeah man i agree its just such a small muscle it more like the bone part that let it appear in a mix with low body fat

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2019 8:03 am
Joker and Mendelssohn liked
kuru
 kuru

I would disagree. I have pretty low body fat, I did and still do many sports like playing football, karate, table tennis.... But I still have pretty  big cheeks, for which the buccinators are probably the main reason. I think that they are so big because I play trumpet, where you have to use them with a lot of force. Also, when I feel them contracted, they feel very big. I have weak cheekbones, wich make the cheeks even more chubbier, but i’d still say that the buccinators have an impact on cheeks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 4:26 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@kuru

The falsification of this idea is to see if we can find people with hollow cheeks, but well developed buccinators as well. And if we do, we find that they do exist(like I showed you in the other thread). At minimum, this hypothesis contains a big, glaring hole which has to be filled out. Please remember that Mike and John Mew, despite of their well deserved authority, hasn't got everything figured out. They are pioneers in this field, but they don’t have the last word.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 5:30 am
kuru
 kuru

@loliboly

thats true, but, only speaking for myself, they are more or less right. I would still be happy if they said something about how playing wind instruments affects the cheek muscles. But even for trumpeters, there are huge differences between all the players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 2:04 pm
kuru
 kuru

@loliboly

thats true, but, only speaking for myself, they are more or less right. I would still be happy if they said something about how playing wind instruments affects the cheek muscles. But even for trumpeters, there are huge differences between all the players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2021 2:04 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member
Posted by: @kuru

@loliboly

I would still be happy if they said something about how playing wind instruments affects the cheek muscles.

At least something else we agree on! 😉 I would very much like him to comment on wind players(hence the thread I started about it).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2021 1:27 pm
MewingChannel

There was a case mentioned in "The Cause and Cure of Malocclusion" by Dr. John Mew, he compared identical twin sisters. Jane who had no treatment and Jane who was treated by extractions. Jane who was treated by extractions had noticeably larger buccinators and a double chin despite weighing "6 pounds (2.5 kg) lighter than her sister." You can read it here on page twelve of the PDF.

As someone with low body fat who has been mewing consistently for two years, my cheeks are hollow. They aren't stand out "oh-my-gosh-his-cheeks-are-hollow" hollow, but when I talk, the hollowness is quite obvious. (I also have dimples.) One thing that is preventing my cheeks from appearing hollow when my face is at rest is a lack of dental height due to a deep bite (not that deep anymore thanks to mewing).

I don't deny that fat can be a barrier to hollow cheeks. However, I've heard of too many cases in which a mewer made some huge progress and his/her cheeks appear more hollow despite the fact that they gained weight.

-John

"If you're not mewing then what are you doing?"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/01/2021 10:26 pm
Silver
Trusted Member

Nope you're just tongue-tied lmao

I guarantee you're not actually doing the swallow correctly like you think you are. When I had mine released most of the way with a laser, it didn't do a ton, but when I had that last 15% released by Dr. Zaghi (who is pioneering this), I instantly swallowed completely differently the very first time I tried to. They finished the procedure, I was tense from the anesthetic/epinephrine injections they put in my tongue, and they gave me like some soda to drink. Swallowing correctly was the farthest thing on my mind at that moment, and I instinctively did it correctly without meaning to and I was so surprised it freaked me out. I can't even remember how I used to swallow. My cheeks have hollowed out a fair amount since then without me doing anything else and even moreso after getting MSE expansion. Dr. Zaghi has lectures about his tongue-tie release: https://www.zaghimd.com/lecture-files

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/01/2021 11:41 am
Apollo liked