Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Body posture and tight trapezium  

RSS
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

Since a few months , have my trapezium muscle been really tight and even have grown in size without even isolating them in gym sessions

I work out like 4 times a week fullbody but since i noticed they where extremely thight i stopped training them and they got even bigger.

Could some one exlplain maybe why this is maybe that some other muscles are under developed or even not in use because of this or i have some other asymmetry in my body?

Posted : 06/03/2020 3:01 pm
max iller
Eminent Member

I have thought about this myself. My traps are relatively large and developed, and if im not careful they tighen up and pull toward my ears. Try bending your neck back and raising your shoulders. That's where I think a good portion of my forward head posture comes from.

Lately I've been stretching the sh*t out of my back, pulling my shoulder blades together and pushing them down. They've been very sore. But this movement effectively straightens my neck, though is very hard to maintain. I feel pressure around the protruding bit of the spine behind the neck doing this.
I've also found two mid-back muscles I don't think i've ever used lol, bending forward at the hips and flexing my back up while pulling the shoulders back activates them, and by activate I mean cramps. I don't know a lot about physiology or anatomy but I'd be curious to know if anyone else has a similar experience.

I believe my traps became developed through computer sitting, my traps were always activated a bit while I was using the mouse with one arm and keyboard with the other. They never really relaxed through all those teen years, same with most of my activities involving lots of sitting, my traps just kept getting larger and tighter. Same with my hams, hip flexors, etc, etc, etc.

I may be unlucky as I have good genetics for growing large fast twitch type muscles, and stretching it all out is gonna be a pain.

I'm avoiding all muscle training currently until my posture is more balanced, the way I see it; my body doesn't move correctly, so unless I'm very thoughtful about walking, sitting, moving, I'm probably doing it wrong. I can't speak for you, but perhaps odd form in your workout is causing your traps to be dominant over other muscles.

My approach to 'recalibrating' my posture and form is basically nuking my muscle tone and getting skinny as [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated], then rebuilding the muscle slowly with better movement, and postural patterns. I don't recommend this though, but I'm curious if it makes retraining the nervous system any easier. Like ditching the muscles built for THIS posture, and regaining them back for a new posture. Also, stretching out smaller muscles will be easier in theory, as opposed to massive tight muscles like I have currently.

Anyway, maybe there's some food for thought

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2020 4:24 pm
Robbie343
Trusted Member

I have the same thing going on. Huge tight traps causing a pulling down effect at the base of my skull. Almost like having someone grab your hair at the back of your head and pulling the back of your head down.

In my eyes tight traps mean they’re working to hard to hold your head up

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2020 5:26 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @mr-mewing

Since a few months , have my trapezium muscle been really tight and even have grown in size without even isolating them in gym sessions

I work out like 4 times a week fullbody but since i noticed they where extremely thight i stopped training them and they got even bigger.

Could some one exlplain maybe why this is maybe that some other muscles are under developed or even not in use because of this or i have some other asymmetry in my body?

Do you chin tuck? What's your sleeping position?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2020 6:02 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@azrael i did do chin tucks in the past at the moment i don't

and i sleep on my side because this is ideal for my so i don't have to fight against gravity.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2020 2:49 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@maxiller we are in the same boat man but i just can't stop with working out i like it so much maybe yoga can help with flexing and strechting of literally every muscle in the body my traps became btw bigger because i started isolating them and they where like my weak body part , now i stopped isolating them and they still get bigger and bigger , and for my it's only the upper trapezium thats always underpressure

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2020 2:56 pm