Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Biobloc only worn during the day?  

RSS
leeds_e04

Hi,

I'm a 35 year old male. I will be starting my treatment with the biobloc with a myofunctional orthodontist (follows the http://myoresearch.com/ protocol) in the Philippines that I found to help correct my obstructive sleep apnea next week. He said I would be wearing the biobloc only during the day. At night, I would mouth tape with the myobrace Appliance at night/during sleep to promote proper tongue posture.. 

I was under the impression that the biobloc is supposed to be worn 24/7 . I also thought most bone growth and repair happens when asleep, so I would think the most crucial time would be to wear it at night if I had to choose. I'm just surprised because I've been really trying to find any similar protocol with biobloc online given to other patients to no avail.  I'm sorry if these are newbie questions, but does anyone  know if this is a reasonable protocol? Does it  just depend on the person and what is trying to be achieved? 

Posted : 13/07/2019 12:18 pm
kelly2003 liked
bundfalke
Trusted Member

I dont see why you shouldnt be able to wear it during the night. Either way, wearing a appliance for 8 hours a day, at any time of the day will work. The longer you wear it, the better the results.

I would just ask him

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2019 8:56 pm
leeds_e04

Thank you for the explanation. I was finally able to get a reply from my dentist.  This was his email:

"For your case you need an active expander during the day and a passive myofunctional appliance for proper tongue posture at night. You have a low tongue position because of your partial tongue tie which by the way I would like to discuss with you later.
Homeoblock doesn’t address tongue position which for me is a very important element of your case."

I know his clinic also offers the homeoblock, so I assume he does know what's best for my particular case. It's just a different protocol compared to anyone else I heard of before using this appliance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 3:24 am
bundfalke
Trusted Member
Posted by: leeds_e04

Thank you for the explanation. I was finally able to get a reply from my dentist.  This was his email:

"For your case you need an active expander during the day and a passive myofunctional appliance for proper tongue posture at night. You have a low tongue position because of your partial tongue tie which by the way I would like to discuss with you later.
Homeoblock doesn’t address tongue position which for me is a very important element of your case."

I know his clinic also offers the homeoblock, so I assume he does know what's best for my particular case. It's just a different protocol compared to anyone else I heard of before using this appliance.

Yeah that sounds reasonable to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 9:40 am
leeds_e04

I should also add that my dentist also had me doing breath holds based on the buteyko breathing method. I've been doing it for a couple of weeks, but recently decided to stop because it seems my sleep as been really affected the past couple of nights. I did notice for a time some more energy during the day and feeling more calm on and off. As others here know, the method helps increase Co2 in the body. One of the many benefits is it encourages more hydrochloric acid production for better digestion (most have gerd issues because of low stomach acid). I too have gerd issues that seem to worsen with more acid production which seems to happen with the more I do breath holding during the day. And when I lay down to sleep, I feel worse because the acid seems to back up more in my sinuses and then it creates an inflammation/congestion response. I also get these same symptoms or worse when I take any kind of betaine hydrochloric acid supplement.  This is another reason why mouth taping doesn't work for me. By breathing through my nose at night, I increase nitric oxide which will also encourage more hydrochloric acid production, so I would wake up with inflamed/congested nasal passages not getting enough air and I could feel like i'm suffocating when I wake in the middle of the night. 

Based on my personal experiences, I would conclude from this that using the myobrace at night would be counterproductive at the moment because it will produce similar symptoms to mouth taping. I'm not expecting anyone to have the answer, but I was wondering if these symptoms be caused by having small nasal passages? I will also be confirming this with my dentist on our next appointment. I just want to get some possible ideas. Maybe once I get to achieve some arch expansion to further open the nasal passages, these symptoms will eventually lessen and then later proceed with the myobrace at night afterwards?

My dentist also said that's why he wanted me to do a PSG / sleep study because of GI issues. He mentioned if someone has sleep disordered breathing that person can develop negative pressure in their abdomen and cause acid reflux. 

I understand that and I am willing to go through it if necessary. But I'm also wondering how will the sleep study help? Isn't needing expansion still the solution? For example, maybe the ENT doctor will prescribe antiacids at least until there's enough expansion to eliminate the root problem?

I would be curious to hear someone's thoughts on this based on my symptoms. Has anyone else ever experienced something similar with digestive issues?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2019 9:47 am
kelly2003
Posted by: @leeds_e04

Hi,

I'm a 35 year old male. I will be starting my treatment with the biobloc with a myofunctional orthodontist (follows the http://myoresearch.com/ protocol) in the Philippines that I found to help correct my obstructive sleep apnea next week. He said I would be wearing the biobloc only during the day. At night, I would mouth tape with the myobrace Appliance at night/during sleep to promote proper tongue posture.. 

I was under the impression that the biobloc is supposed to be worn 24/7 . I also thought most bone growth and repair happens when asleep, so I would think the most crucial time would be to wear it at night if I had to choose. I'm just surprised because I've been really trying to find any similar protocol with biobloc online given to other patients to no avail.  I'm sorry if these are newbie questions, but does anyone  know if this is a reasonable protocol? Does it  just depend on the person and what is trying to be achieved? 

Hey I'm from the Philippines too.San nyo po nahanap orthodontist nyo na gumagamit ng biobloc?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2020 8:08 pm
kelly2003
Posted by: @leeds_e04

Hi,

any update about your treatment?I'm from Philippines too.Where did you find your dentist who offers biobloc to adult?I looked at the orthotropics website and did not find any registered orthotropist.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2020 1:27 am
cliffbars liked