Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Been a while since ive been on this forum but iwante dto remind you all th best results come from keeping it simple and natural..  

RSS
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

I see alot of people get over overconcerned with the slightest nuances like "i need to jam my Hyoid up!!" no you dont we werent meant to have it up all the time as humans. swallow properly do strethces and excercises to improve your posture and when swallowing listen to your body let your natural flow come through. i remember i spent months hyper focus and like literally suffocating myself by forcing my back third up. Itll come up with time everyone at a differnt step in growth. If you cant get your posterior third up without dying you probably need expansion in other areas which if you swallow correctly and sstand properly your body will do so naturally.

Posted : 04/09/2019 10:28 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

Respectfully, I'm inclined to disagree. I find that nearly all of my progress occurs when I am hard mewing / root up constantly / chin tucking aggressively. I believe that adults are much more likely to require hard mewing to achieve results than kids.

In my particular case, my skull is really solid/fused and I NEVER hear any cracking or moving or feel any radiating pressures even with the hardest of mewing or thumb pulling. This means that forces from mewing don't really get transferred around my head in the way some people experience; especially kids. I think that the idea of just constant light pressure is not overly suitable for me and I can experience faster results (or even results at all) from greater pressure with the same consistency. Nearly all the best results we've seen from males in their > 20's have been hard mewers. Many of them, like me, do not experience skull shifting/popping. My instinct is that greater forces alone DO accelerate bone changes and that bone does move or adjust faster when placed under heavier loads.

I think there are other benefits to hard mewing, also; it's not just a routine but also an exercise. Doing very strong chin tucks with your jaw closed and pushing up very hard with the tongue root is an exhausting exercise but bound to make your tongue so much stronger. My tongue used to ache like mad for the first couple of weeks of extensively pushing up hard w/ the tongue root but now it's far stronger, with much greater endurance and probably have increased in size somewhat (since it's a muscle). This sort of thing is excellent for passive mewing; your sleep mewing should be substantially improved by this. I remember a post here a long time ago talking about how body builders were able to stand up without intentionally activating any of their leg or core muscles because of how powerful those muscles were. I think it's something much akin to that.

Another benefit is that it's much harder to forget to hard mew than soft mew.

So yeah, I think hard mewing is not only for greater expansion rates but also for better consistency, even when passive mewing (asleep). I think Mike Mew doesn't talk about it because he doesn't want to be held accountable or blamable for if someone does so happen to screw themselves (Not that I blame him at all for this, he's got to cover his [Rude Language will not be tolerated] enough already)

Btw, in regards to the not being able to nasally breathe stuff with the hyoid up, I experience this too. When I intentionally raise my hyoid a tiny bit, up to a maximum of about a cm, it "embarrasses" my nasal airway. Over time this margin is getting smaller. I'm able to raise it more and more without cutting off my airway. I would suggest to keep up with it and power through it.

I don't think I hard mew all day, but every day it's getting easier and easier to do it for longer. At the moment I suspect I am getting in about 6-8 hours of hard mewing in between breaths? I really do think you can achieve expansion or at least cause bone reformation when you rest/heal, more after hard mewing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orthotropics/comments/bwqsq1/this_is_my_18_years_of_mewing_progress_left_pic/epzqrff/

https://www.reddit.com/r/orthotropics/comments/ckuy80/10_aug_2017_01_aug_2019_progress_pics_leftright/

I am going to get to the point where I can hard mew/tongue raise while still being able to breath nasally, like these guy. I am sure of it.

I truly believe this is the way for us fellas.

cheers,

krollic

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 2:57 am
itsj0nny, RamonT, Adam and 1 people liked
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

@krolic I somewhat tend to agree with you. My gut feeling tells me that adults need to apply stronger forces, not quite constant hard mewing, but definitely harder than the 'suction hold'.

I'm in my late 20s. When I hard mew, I do feel radiating pressure in my cheekbones and forehead. However, I have never experienced cracking or popping sounds.

Btw, have you still gotten to the point where your tongue fits nicely spreaded on the palate? I'm almost there. 😍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 3:28 am
RamonT liked
krollic
Reputable Member

@GreekGodBrody na bro but getting closer and closer. the sides of my tongue slightly curve down by the upper teeth now and no longer touch my lower teeth at all. the roof of my mouth has flattened out (reduction in torus) and palate is wider/ less vaulted. all this while the size of my tongue has slightly increased from my exercises

> When I hard mew, I do feel radiating pressure in my cheekbones and forehead. However, I have never experienced cracking or popping sounds.

that's interesting. that would suggest some sort of bone flexibility/movement meaning that more bone is being subject to radiating forces. in my estimation that can only be a good thing. I really feel like I've started off w/ a big disadvantage not being able to sense movements and pressures in my face and head

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 3:48 am
RamonT liked
mr.mewing
Estimable Member
Posted by: @krollic

@GreekGodBrody na bro but getting closer and closer. the sides of my tongue slightly curve down by the upper teeth now and no longer touch my lower teeth at all. the roof of my mouth has flattened out (reduction in torus) and palate is wider/ less vaulted. all this while the size of my tongue has slightly increased from my exercises

> When I hard mew, I do feel radiating pressure in my cheekbones and forehead. However, I have never experienced cracking or popping sounds.

that's interesting. that would suggest some sort of bone flexibility/movement meaning that more bone is being subject to radiating forces. in my estimation that can only be a good thing. I really feel like I've started off w/ a big disadvantage not being able to sense movements and pressures in my face and head

the pressure is from the zygomaticus muscle this muscle is activated while mewing at first you feel it pushing against the zygomatic bone but after a while your zygomaticus muscle is trained and can handle the stress so it doesn't burn that much or doesn''t burn at all which is a good sign.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 5:12 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

@krollic

I agree Hard Mewing will definitely bring faster results if done properly. For adults it might be the only way unless you  perfect your body and head posture youll probably see some progress normal mewing. I think the benefit of hard mewing mainly comes from the strengthening of the tongue =more applicable force. AND by hard mewing your building a mind muscle connection to keep the tongue up all the time. So by hard mewing your tongue is up there longer so there is more TOT time under tension along with more force which is exactly what we probably need. I dont think our tongue is supposed to jammed up as hard as we can constantly but maybe i am wrong. Krollic havent you ever noticed after being very concious of mewing for a while have you ever tried to not focus as hard and let your tongue swallow naturally and more softly? Whenever ive been able to do that properly ive felt the most force but its hard to replicate. Even though its less "force" it feels much more pressure. I think you should try that and let me know if you notice anything. What i meant but all that is from focusing on mewing we can tend to overuse or tongue like well use it to swallow as hard as we can instead of just allowing a full softer natural full tongue ROM swallow and then try holding that up and see if you feel a difference at all. 

OVERALL though at the end of the day Hard mewing is probably the best bet by far despite all the speculation hard mewing is better than soft mewing for 5 years and wasting time.

Also have you noticed progress with it at all? IMW wise? Breathing wise? Facial Growht?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 10:50 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Also for the last 9 months ive had an appliance in my mouth constantly so ive fallen off with mewing but once its off i will be doing the same [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] as you probably.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 10:51 pm
Jawanomics
Eminent Member

Hard mewing brings cortisol spikes...done during times of low self-esteem

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2019 5:41 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

@Jawanomics I agree somewhat. Hard mewing takes a lot of concentration but if your trying it as hard as you can your probably cutting off your airway aka CHOKING yourself so of course your cortisol will spike. I think a more gradual hard mewing approach is best. Just like lifting weights go heavy with proper form but not too heavy or too much volume right off the bat or youll hurt yourself or your nervous system and wont make progress thats my educated assumption. Also hardmewing without perfecting you swallow first is probably a waste of time. its like lifting weights without proper form. if your just shoving your tongue up randomly instead of placing it where its supposed to be youll make way less progress and possibly cause damage. If you practice the mike mew swallow and get it down consistently then youll have a good foundation and a good idea of where the tongue force should be applied. once your swallow is good just mike mew swallow a few times then just amplify the current forces on the palate. That should apply a lot of force but in the CORRECT areas. Where as most people are probs just shoving there tongue up hard which probably works too but id imagine this would work better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2019 8:13 pm