Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Athletes with less than ideal bone structure  

RSS
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

I think at some point when researching this stuff, we've all read something along the lines of "good forward bone structure is athletic because it means the airways are more open - observe how athletes have good jaws, well placed maxillas etc"

So it becomes easy (and intellectually convenient) to start viewing good bone structure as athletic, while the "mouth breather" look is always on someone who is physically lacking. 

Runners, you'd think, require nice open airways. This morning I've been reading a little bit of running history, and happened across two famous British runners from the 80's - Steve Cram and Steve Ovett. Cram had the world record on the mile at one point. Both won gold medals at the Olympics. Athletic bone structure? Let's see....

Cram has a non existent jawline and it doesn't look like his hyoid bone is in a good place. Ovett has a downward grown maxilla and gummy smile. Neither have anything approaching "athletic" bone structure of the skull. 

So what's the deal here - is it that not being forward grown doesn't necessarily mean that your airways will be obstructed to any significant degree? 

Posted : 01/07/2019 9:55 am
harrykanemaxilla
Estimable Member

I suspect these runners adopted forward head posture as that opens up the airway. Same thing I have done all my life. I used to run while tilting my head back so much that I couldn’t see the ground. I would beat those with good forward growth in running. However they were running with perfect head posture and if I tried that, my tongue would get in my airway and my mandible would choke it. While it is easier to be an athlete with good development because of better breathing and sleep. There are a lot of other factors that come in to play like stamina, cardiovascular health, body shape, metabolic rate etc

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2019 11:03 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

Cardiovascular ability is something that you develop aswell. It's not just airway. 

Look at their head posture. 

I also do very well running but I can't do it as fast I normally did if I adopt a good head posture. It's something you do and don't notice because in fact your airways are not as wide as they should be. 

All in all athletes generally do have better developed faces than regular people. 

Now obviously there's cases and cases.. No amount of exercise when you re young will develop your Jaws if your slouching with your head 10 feet in front of your body. Tho our body's are so amazing that we can still function at an athletic level without the proper, correct function when we put our minds into something. 

Body posture in my opinion is the most important factor to achieving a well developed cranium. 

Oral posture comes naturally and effortlessly when you have good body posture. But not vice versa.

If you just practice correct mewing for a while without correct body posture you will notice a stiff neck and strap muscles, you will notice that anterior third of the tongue falling down really fast if you don'thhave your mind on it.

You must fix body posture. Correct mewing totally depends on it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2019 11:44 am
Wellwellwell

Anthony Davis?

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.
- Starting IMW: 35 mm
- Current IMW: 35 mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2019 12:39 am