Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Are the Pterygoid muscles the key to shorten the maxilla?  

RSS
Basim
Eminent Member

For me, I understand how the Masseters and Temporalis muscles are important for keeping the face in balance with the right usage and enough musculature to do so. But I also know there are 2 more muscles of mastication which are the Medial and Lateral Pterygoid muscle. Could those muscles really unlock the full function of the massticatory muscles to shorten the maxilla, widen the face, and give full balance in the mid and lower of the face. Just my thoughts?

Posted : 02/02/2020 11:14 pm
Basim
Eminent Member

Are the Pytergoid muscles capcable of shorten the maxilla(facial height) while giving CW to the Mandible?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 1:39 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

Possibly. At the very least, the pterygoids have insertions into the palate and the sphenoid, so whatever forces they exert would naturally impact these bones in one way or another. However, after adding all the other masticatory and postural forces into the equation, the question becomes very complicated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 5:25 pm
Basim
Eminent Member

I see, however I do wonder that if a person with proper head posture( head in chin tuck postition) along with good body posture with very strong masseter and temporalis muscles to assist with the tongue. Could very well indeed achieve the following factors:

- A shorter face

- Forward growth of the Maxilla

- Longer Ramus

- A larger Goion

- Wider palate 

- A more prominent chin

- Straighter nose profile

- and many more 

I recently turned 17 and I started Mewing since February. I am experimenting to see what could happen when I put this together and make it a habit and lifestyle. But I do wonder Mike Mew only focus on the Masseter muscles and not other facial muscles like the temporalis or postural muscles like the occipital muscles that are connected to the mandible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 11:31 pm