Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Are extractions always bad?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Achillespalate
(@achillespalate)
Topic starter

So I know that the consensus on extractions among orthotropists is that it is bad and can ruin faces.

However, let’s say in a scenario where you had 2 upper teeth extracted in young age which led to a malocclusion since the upper jaw is now smaller and has fewer teeth than the lower jaw. Wouldn’t it make sense to extract two lower teeth to make the jaws have equally many teeth and get the bite from a class 3 to a class 1 occlusion? With the help of braces / Invisalign.

Isn’t a proper bite with 2 fewer teeth better / healthier than a malocclusion with 2 more teeth in the lower jaw?

Thoughts on this? 

Posted : 01/02/2022 12:51 pm
toomer
(@toomer)

This author has done extensive research on the topic.  Even the orthodontic profession apparently tries to avoid it now in teens (too late for me, unfortunately).

https://link.medium.com/IVi5Wxo7Gmb

I’d say it would be better to try to re-open spaces at the top, and potentially get implants.  But forward growth is a highly controversial topic, on whether it can be safely achieved or not.

Posted : 02/02/2022 10:20 am
toomer
(@toomer)

I drew some lines on your photo from Mew:

https://imgur.com/a/diSw0vv

Posted : 02/02/2022 9:43 pm
toomer
(@toomer)

I just loaded it up in PowerPoint and drew it by hand as best I could.  Then I moved the lines to the right, made copies of them, and enlarged the copies by an equal ratio and lined them up against the forehead.  Makes it really obvious what happened to the extraction twin.

Posted : 03/02/2022 10:18 pm
Achillespalate
(@achillespalate)
Topic starter

That is very interesting and I can definitely see what you mean. Obviously it’s better to not extract teeth but in some adults it’s the only way to fix the bite aside from surgery and even then extractions are done sometimes.

would a face with all teeth but let’s say a crossbite look better than the same face with two extractions but a proper bite? 

Posted : 06/02/2022 1:57 pm
toomer
(@toomer)

Posted by: @achillespalate

That is very interesting and I can definitely see what you mean. Obviously it’s better to not extract teeth but in some adults it’s the only way to fix the bite aside from surgery

Given that I have seen some Vivos DNA cases in adults where the impacted wisdom teeth eventually erupted by the end of treatment … I don’t believe this at all.

And more to the point, we’re talking about kids in that photo where bone is still growing.  Expansion should almost always be done for kids.  Extraction should be outlawed. 

Dr. Ben Miraglia says he is a zero-extractions office for his pediatric patients, and all of his kids end up with 32 teeth in good occlusion.  He’s not doing surgery.  Just expansion.

Posted : 09/02/2022 4:44 pm
ajrwilde
(@ajrwilde)

Yes extractions are always bad.

Posted : 10/03/2022 3:57 pm

THE GREAT WORK