Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Any advice for getting lower jaw forward (pics)  

RSS
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Hi guys ive been afraid to post some pictures on here but i know by posting you can give me much better advice. i hope this will motivate some of you guys to post as well. So im trying to get my lower jaw to come forward because i have an overbite. I think i have a pretty wide pallete 40 mm give or take a few. So im wondering if i should focus on anything specific?  https://imgur.com/a/HYSv06A

Posted : 19/06/2018 3:41 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Seeing pics like this is demotivating because most people here are starting at points already way ahead of where I need to be. 

Your lower jaw looks like it has great development already but if you need it to move forward then expansion to above 40mm will help a lot . Same combo of mewing and chewing like everyone else here. As you expand your mandible will advance, lessening your overbite. As far as incisor chewing I recommend it a lot. 

What is your Mew indicator line score? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 10:12 am
Rockyp33 liked
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Thanks for the advice man  but everyone starts at different points just compare you to yourself not anyone else. You have said youve made some progress right? how different did you look 3 years ago compared to now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 2:58 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

My bite look semi normal with my mouth closed but its obvious when its open maybe i should take some frontal pics

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 2:59 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

@eddiemoney i looked upo the mew indicator and the distance between my nose tip and my incisor is 4 cm? so 40mm plus my age is 58? that doesnt seem right to me at all

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 3:05 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Rockyp33

@eddiemoney i looked upo the mew indicator and the distance between my nose tip and my incisor is 4 cm? so 40mm plus my age is 58? that doesnt seem right to me at all

So your mew indicator line is 40mm. It is from incisor to nose tip. Adding in age is only for kids so don't worry about that. Adult normal range is 37-42mm so your maxilla is very well projected. I could tell because your teeth look very close to your nose. It seems for you, lateral expansion may be of benefit . Also chewing with your incisors will help the lower teeth fit better with the upper.

I know I have to compare me to me. Sometimes people on this forum lament they haven't made as much progress as I have but the truth is I am starting from well below normal so I have to get to normal first. When I first measured my Mew indicator line it was 45mm and that was after it had already advanced. So I started in a place much worse than many of you. I see some of your before pics on here and you guys are already far ahead of me as it is, so this accounts for my quicker initial progress 

Anyway, back to you. Chew more on incisors bro. It helps a ton. Your maxilla already has a good high and forward placement so at this point your incisors could benefits from more proclination which incisor chewing will assist

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 3:15 pm
gubbbbb
Eminent Member
Posted by: EddieMoney

Anyway, back to you. Chew more on incisors bro. It helps a ton. Your maxilla already has a good high and forward placement so at this point your incisors could benefits from more proclination which incisor chewing will assist

how did you come this incisor conclusion? Is it just something you've been trying on your own?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 4:21 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: gubbbbb

how did you come this incisor conclusion? Is it just something you've been trying on your own?

When I was trying to get my ortho treatment reversed the other docs told me my incisors had actually tipped back further . And lo and behold I always avoided using them. I chewed mostly with molars. As I have been using my incisors more my previously tipped back teeth seem to be proclining more . Other members here can vouch for the same.

What I do know is avoiding incisors during chewing can cause the bite to get deeper. I know this happened to me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 4:59 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

@eddiemoney Do you chew so that the tips of the incisors make contact, or frontside of lower incisors against backside of upper incisors?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 5:19 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

yeah i used to chew with only molars now i incisor chew

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 5:43 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

just kinda whatever feels natural then your bite kinda aligns.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 5:44 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

So lower the mm the better? @eddiemoney You can keep improving just keep focused. and maybe it is projected but my bite is off by a good amount and my teeth have been grinded down a bit from bruxism so trust me its not as good as it looks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 5:47 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

So lower the mm the better? @eddiemoney You can keep improving just keep focused. and maybe it is projected but my bite is off by a good amount and my teeth have been grinded down a bit from mewing so trust me its not as good as it looks.

Grinded down from mewing? Wot

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 5:57 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@Progress I alternate between the two

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 5:58 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

sorry no from bruxism which was stemmed from not having my tongue on the roof of my mouth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2018 8:11 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

sorry no from bruxism which was stemmed from not having my tongue on the roof of my mouth.

Oh ok. And yes the lower the mm the better for the mew indicator line. It basically means the closer your teeth are to your nose the more your maxilla is projected. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 11:50 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Yeah so id say like 47 mm after remeasuring

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 3:12 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Yeah so id say like 47 mm after remeasuring

Wait you first measured 40 and now got 47? From incisor to nose tip?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 4:54 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

yeah i didnt do the tip last time its 45-47mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 5:08 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

I took a photo like this one to make the measurement easier to read and for future comparison. Mine is around 43mm.

Image result for mew indicator line

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 5:38 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: Apollo

I took a photo like this one to make the measurement easier to read and for future comparison. Mine is around 43mm.

How did you figure where to put that other red line?the one that intersects the mm reading

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 6:43 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

How did you figure where to put that other red line?the one that intersects the mm reading

This is just a slide I found on google images, so I didn't draw the lines, but I assume they think that represents the most anterior point of the nose and then extrapolated that out to the ruler. This is why I said I struggle to get a consistent reading when we talked about the mew indicator line in another thread

What is your mew indicator line measure?

I just tried to measure and it looks to be about 43mm, but this isn't something I keep track of because I always struggle to decide what is the most anterior point on the tip of my nose.

I found it helpful to take a picture myself rather than trying to get a consistent reading while looking in a mirror.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 7:11 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Oh man. Using this method I am much more recessed than I thought! Man I have a lot to go

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 8:13 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

Oh man. Using this method I am much more recessed than I thought! Man I have a lot to go

The image is slide number 72 from this presentation about the myobrace:  https://www.slideshare.net/drbarry/mrc-solo-2day-beginner-day1-pm-30197195

It is the clearest example I could find showing how to take the measurement, but maybe their method is wrong. I'm most worried about getting a consistent measurement to be able to track if I get any forward growth. It is easy to monitor progress of transverse growth by measuring intermolar width. I wish there was a similarly straightforward way to measure forward progress!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 9:22 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

The image is slide number 72 from this presentation about the myobrace:  https://www.slideshare.net/drbarry/mrc-solo-2day-beginner-day1-pm-30197195

It is the clearest example I could find showing how to take the measurement, but maybe their method is wrong. I'm most worried about getting a consistent measurement to be able to track if I get any forward growth. It is easy to monitor progress of transverse growth by measuring intermolar width. I wish there was a similarly straightforward way to measure forward progress!

Well the method seems legit for sure. It certainly  explains why my face is the way it is lol

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 9:51 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

Due to my teeth grinding it likely is supposed to be near 50 mm for me but ill keep making progress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/06/2018 11:42 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

What do you guys think of extending your jaw as far forward and up as you can (thus creating a visual underbite)for a time per day to encourage upward swing development

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 4:48 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

A few years ago thought about that as well krollic i might experiment it for a bit. Ill just align the bite instead of doing an underbite though

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 7:08 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@krollic You can jut your jaw out enough to get an underbite? I've never been able to do that, not even close (it's cringe-inducing to try because it feels like I'll dislocate my jaw). I suppose that's a sign of my mandible being way too far back? In relation to my maxilla, it's almost even, but they're both retracted quite a bit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2018 12:10 am
krollic
Reputable Member

maybe. when I force an underbite I can fit about a fingers width between my teeth. it's gotten easier as my jaw as come forward in recent months

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2018 12:27 am
seii
 seii

Hi @rockyp33, just curious did you have missing lateral incisors and possibly (?) ortho to bring the canines into that space? and still have your baby canines in place? 

From what I can see it seems like your top front teeth are retroclined and all your lower teeth are too. I reckon if you had a better positioning of your two central incisors and your anterior maxilla (essentially a broader arch up the front), you would then have space to straighten up your lower teeth and possibly even bring your mandible forward (not sure how much of this is possible). When your front teeth are flared a bit forward your Mew line will be a more favourable number 🙂 I'm no expert in mewing but i guess if you use your tongue to apply slight pressure on your top and bottom teeth all the time it would give you the same effect as braces. If you are considering braces I would go for controlled arch braces.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2018 7:43 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

No thats just how my teeth came in two canines next to my big teeth then my incisors are baby teeth but i feel like both my front and lower teeth are bent inwards from when i used to grind i dont really feel like they flare out but maybe they do. Any more advice on what i could do to align it and make it look better? you said i should focus on the front of the arch? @seii

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/06/2018 1:22 am