Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Ear: an indicator of successful mewer  

RSS
Tatsumi

I’ve been making gif animations of mewing before and after. Looking through them, I noticed a common facial change among successful mewers, which is the ear.

These ears look more open and parallel to the head. 

I guess the reason for this is because the temporal bone makes an external rotation (the front of the temporal moves away from the head).

Why? To do this, the sphenoid must expand and push the front part of the temporal.

This change also should make the mandible wider, since the temporal is the only bone directly connected to the mandible, but not to the maxilla.

Posted : 06/08/2019 4:43 am
Meowxilla, Agendum, Thomas22 and 2 people liked
thebeetle

In (1) and (2) the heads are slightly rotated between photos, with the after photos rotated more towards the camera, giving the illusion of a flatter ear. In (3) my impression is that the overall width of one of the pictures is distorted. I can't comment on the others. It is definitely possible that the ear changes position, but this set of pictures doesn't prove it, at least to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2019 9:17 am
JawExperiments

Great work!

I've seen people claiming that some mewing progress pics (2nd one in your post) have to be the result of plastic surgery due to the ear changes. All these independent cases make it much more convincing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2019 9:20 am
Tatsumi liked
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

I noticed a change in the ear from my progress pictures too. Though the angles were exactly the same the ears never matched up because the ear appeared "stretched" horizontally. The lower part of the ear is attached to the skin around the jaw so when the jaw rotates down and forward, I think it brings the bottom of the ear with it. Sorry the top part of the ear is covered in the first picture btw.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2019 11:15 am
macbeth and vitas liked
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

The problem with this theory is that I have yet to see irrefutable photos of "successful" mewing. They're all surrounded by doubt - lighting, angles, makeup, beard growth, you name it. Since the before/after photos are so inaccurate and inconclusive, it's impossible to say what if anything has changed with the ears.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2019 1:25 pm
dm222
Trusted Member

can someone do this with @Progress pics?

he has some restructurment of his head going on too...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2019 8:05 pm
Tatsumi
Posted by: @dm222

can someone do this with @Progress pics?

he has some restructurment of his head going on too...

https://imgur.com/d4krE63

He posted this already. Yes, his ear changed in the same way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2019 8:43 pm
vitas and dm222 liked
Tatsumi
Posted by: @alphaminus

The problem with this theory is that I have yet to see irrefutable photos of "successful" mewing. They're all surrounded by doubt - lighting, angles, makeup, beard growth, you name it. Since the before/after photos are so inaccurate and inconclusive, it's impossible to say what if anything has changed with the ears.

I understand what you say.

One thing is that the camera can lie in a good way, but it also means the camera can lie in a bad way, too. We don't really see worsen mewing results on the Internet. That's because people only choose photos which are in better chin protrusion/good lying photos. We care about face forward growth that much.

Then, who cares whether the ear is flattened or not? There's no motive to choose a flat ear photo. Still, you can see this common trait among the before/after photos. Doesn't this mean anything?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2019 1:29 am
Tatsumi
Posted by: @timbertiger

I noticed a change in the ear from my progress pictures too. Though the angles were exactly the same the ears never matched up because the ear appeared "stretched" horizontally. The lower part of the ear is attached to the skin around the jaw so when the jaw rotates down and forward, I think it brings the bottom of the ear with it. Sorry the top part of the ear is covered in the first picture btw.

Too bad that the size of your ears didn't match. I guess the camera got closer to your face in the after photo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2019 7:35 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@tatsumi The size looks the same to me. The position doesn't though. If you line up the ear instead of the profile you get quite a different gif. I think the inner ear looks more open and stretched due to mewing. If you look at your ear in the mirror while jutting your jaw forward, the bottom of the ear is pulled forward and the inner ear becomes more stretched. You can see this in some of the other gifs you posted as well if you look closely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2019 10:54 am
Kyte liked
jimbobape

@tatsumi

Still looks better regardless

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2019 7:22 pm
Tatsumi

@timbertiger

Maybe you're right. The size is the same but not the position. You have this same "flap ear" movement as other people do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2019 2:37 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@Tatsumi cool! Thanks for making the gif. This was at the 6 month mark so hopefully at 1 year the change will be much more apparent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2019 10:28 am
Tatsumi

@timbertiger

You're welcome 😀 From the trait you shared with other mewers, I think you're on the right track. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2019 11:49 am
Tatsumi

You may wonder what if the false progress photo is also related to the ear change. Does the camera illusion happen to the fake forward growth and the weird ear change altogether? You can see this case.

This person's progress looks amazing and undoubted, but his ear hasn't changed. The ear even got narrower a little (opposite change to other mewers).
Later, he posted a chin-tuck version.

In this photo, I can't see any forward growth. It's likely that his forward growth was made by the camera. The shape of his ear stays the same as expected that only successful mewers have the change.

This case suggests that the camera illusion and ear change aren't related.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2019 12:29 pm
vitas liked
vitas
Posted by: @tatsumi

I’ve been making gif animations of mewing before and after. Looking through them, I noticed a common facial change among successful mewers, which is the ear.

I guess the reason for this is because the temporal bone makes an external rotation (the front of the temporal moves away from the head).

Why? To do this, the sphenoid must expand and push the front part of the temporal.

This change also should make the mandible wider, since the temporal is the only bone directly connected to the mandible, but not to the maxilla.

In bimax though there is not much change while in mewing their is a lot. Does it only rotate if the forward growth is natural? (No surgeries)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/10/2020 12:19 pm
Tatsumi

@vitas

I've never seen anyone who had surgery has ear rotation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2020 12:27 pm
vitas

@tatsumi then how come mewing makes changes to the ear?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2020 4:53 pm
Tatsumi

@vitas I don't know the answer. This is just an observation of mewer's photos. I already wrote my assumption above (the temporal bone's rotation).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2020 4:58 am
Bogdar
Eminent Member

Anecdotically,

I melted from one side of my face, and this degenerated side has a unparallel ear (ear is far from the "head plane"), whereas the good side has a normal parallel ear.

Resonates with me

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2020 5:06 pm
Meowxilla
Eminent Member

@tatsumi

Look at his neck. He seems even more chintucked then in first picture. Due to mewing and chintucking i think he can chin tuck even better. maybe that's why you don't see results in chintucked position. It's because he is chintucked even further then he could have done before. Efficitively this makes that portruted part of his bones is same as before due to them being tucked in more.

Astro and Helmut looking fine. I don't see how overall change could be anything but mewing. Is it possible that it could have been surgery? You tell me, i think it's possible. But i choose to believe.

Overall i see very nice progress in all original prictures. Expect 4th guy. no changes in my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2020 8:21 pm
vitas liked
vitas

@bogdar how do you get your ears to not be in back of your head as much? I need mine to come forward.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 3:54 am
Bogdar
Eminent Member
Posted by: @vitas

@bogdar how do you get your ears to not be in back of your head as much? I need mine to come forward.

Simple answer is "just don't melt" lol.

This right degenerated side of mine has been improving over past years, and the ear has moved little by little closer to the head plane. So it's totally linked, and what I've been doing is "just" chewing on this side and repaired the grinded condyle I had

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/12/2020 8:11 am
vitas liked
vitas
Posted by: @tatsumi

Is it possible to stretch the ears in the vertical direction instead of just the horizontal direction? I want my ears to look more spiked upwards/erected, they droop down a little. I want mine to look more like elf ears. The thing is that they do look like elf ears already, but they looked like drooped down elf ears, so that is disappointing. It also might have to do with poor cranial development, because my skull is in super bad shape, I need NCR.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/12/2020 3:01 am