fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

All traits of a good maxilla

16 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Proclined incisors

Canines in line with incisors (literal square jaw shape of the arch)

High intermolar width

Large teeth

Counterclockwise rotation (pitch)

Also with a short face

People debate this guy’s looks but this thread is about his bones and their position. I see this as optimal development? Yay?

Posted : 01/04/2019 11:22 am
krollic
(@krollic)
Honorable Member

who’s the fella? wouldn’t mind some side profiles.

what sort of results have you made in recent months anyway, eddie

Posted : 01/04/2019 11:27 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: krollic

who’s the fella? wouldn’t mind some side profiles.

what sort of results have you made in recent months anyway, eddie

Chris Carmack.

My process was stalemate a bit. Then I separated my bite at rest. Progress resumed. My dental midlines are almost aligned.

Need maybe about 2-3mm left of advancement to have a normal looking profile. 

Posted : 01/04/2019 6:23 pm
krollic
(@krollic)
Honorable Member

were you clenching too much? what are you thoughts on teeth posture anyway. do we think we should do butterfly touch or barely apart?

Posted : 01/04/2019 7:01 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I don’t touch my teeth anymore. Only when chewing. This allowed my upper arch to take a break from my bad habits. 

Also I had extractions on my lower arch. So basically my lower jaw sits too deep in my maxilla. So teeth touching is automatically reinforcing this unnatural maloclussion. It puts my mandible in a very weird position of being too far back and up. So for me no touch is not only more aesthetic but necessary. 

I never clenched either. I just needed in my personal case to not let my teeth touch since the ortho put them in very unnatural positions relative to my whole face. For me upward movement has been a struggle but letting my jaw hang has helped a ton. It is never good to reinforce bad habits even if you weren’t previously aware your “natural” position was actually unnatural.

Posted : 01/04/2019 10:18 pm
megamandude
(@megamandude)
Estimable Member

How are large teeth part of a good maxilla? Teeth size is genetic.

Posted : 02/04/2019 1:13 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: megamandude

How are large teeth part of a good maxilla? Teeth size is genetic.

I meant teeth that don’t have a level of wear that indicates bad biting habits like edge to edge biting

Posted : 02/04/2019 1:41 am
AlphaMinus
(@alphaminus)
Estimable Member

He looks like he has buccal corridors, which is a sign of sub-optimal intermolar width  

Posted : 04/04/2019 12:17 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: AlphaMinus

He looks like he has buccal corridors, which is a sign of sub-optimal intermolar width  

Show me a pic of this because in no online pics of him smiling do I ever see buccal corridors. Matter of fact his palate has to be wide simply because if it was narrow, his large teeth would be very crowded.

These are buccal corridors on the other hand:

Notice how Carmack’s smile resembles the ideal and not the one with the corridors. 

Posted : 04/04/2019 8:17 pm
noises
(@noises)
Trusted Member

I know this might be common knowledge to some users but he’s more recessed than I previously thought, the convexity of his profile and obtuse nasolabial angle reveal that his jaws and midface are rotating outwards. If you look at pics of him when he’s older you’ll notice an increase in convexity and vertical height. Of course on a modern scale he’s well developed but not perfect.

Posted : 10/05/2019 12:45 am
noises
(@noises)
Trusted Member

This dynamic is very evident in cases like Adrien Brody. I don’t know about you guys but I was too caught up in the mantra about “moving the maxilla up and forwards” to realize that sometimes it needs to rotate or even move backwards. Again, maybe obvious info to some but I wish these different patterns of CFD were introduced better somewhere along the way.

Posted : 10/05/2019 1:08 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: noises

I know this might be common knowledge to some users but he’s more recessed than I previously thought, the convexity of his profile and obtuse nasolabial angle reveal that his jaws and midface are rotating outwards. If you look at pics of him when he’s older you’ll notice an increase in convexity and vertical height. Of course on a modern scale he’s well developed but not perfect.

I am not sure what your graphics mean?

Posted : 10/05/2019 10:10 am
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Posted by: noises

This dynamic is very evident in cases like Adrien Brody. I don’t know about you guys but I was too caught up in the mantra about “moving the maxilla up and forwards” to realize that sometimes it needs to rotate or even move backwards. Again, maybe obvious info to some but I wish these different patterns of CFD were introduced better somewhere along the way.

What dynamic? Their profiles are nothing alike. Can you show me an example of good development?

Posted : 10/05/2019 10:12 am
noises
(@noises)
Trusted Member

I thought maybe I should paraphrase… previously I knew that CW rotation as the maxilla swings down and back was a thing. However there seems to be some kind of vector involved that can thrust the nasal region outwards, in some cases without much of a “downswing” per se, just CW rotation. In Carmack’s case this is only faintly present and in Brody’s it’s highly accentuated.

Carmack qualifies as an example of good development to me, flawless development is hard to come by.

I guess the easiest explanation would be intermittently correct tongue posture? The skull is taking turns collapsing and being pushed imperfectly back into place by the tongue.

Snoop Dogg would be another example:

Posted : 10/05/2019 3:45 pm
EddieMoney
(@eddiemoney)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Wouldn’t this just be a sign of a prominent nasal sill?

Posted : 10/05/2019 11:05 pm
noises
(@noises)
Trusted Member

I don’t think that’s entirely responsible for what I’m seeing but it could enhance the effect. The fact of the matter is that I’m just doing this for procrastination purposes and as soon as I start incorporating more rules into my thinking it starts to feel like work and the cognitive dissonance gets too strong for me to continue instead of doing actual work. I should revisit these ideas when I have the time to get more into it.

Posted : 11/05/2019 1:34 pm

THE GREAT WORK