Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

"All action maintained for more than 6 continuous hours produces an effect on the CranioMandibular System" (Van der Linden, Frans & Proffit 2004  

RSS
Sceriff
Eminent Member

No, it's not a clickbaiting title, but a statement made by 2 doctors that I got from a pdf, which I will attach for those who want to read it. 

I have already read it and I have extracted the most important content:

"The TRAINER Appliances are recommended to be worn one to two hours during the day and 10 to 12 hours at night while sleeping. 

It was explained by Van der Linden and colleagues that all action maintained for more than six continuous hours produces an effect on the CranioMandibular System.

The trainers maintain the mandible in a forward position for 10 to 12 hours during the night, keeping the muscles protruding the mandible stretched. When the appliance is taken out of the mouth, the muscles protruding the mandible fall into hyper-contractibility (involuntary and repeated contractions of the muscles), which moves the mandible forward and backward.

These forward and backward movements of the mandibular condyle within the glenoid fossa stretch the retro-discal pad (also known as Zenckel’s zone) where the blood vessels release nutrients and growth factors that reach the mandibular condyle, stimulating mandibular growth and development through endochondral ossification.

This repetitive stimulation every night, maintaining the mandible in an edge-to-edge position, induces new muscular fiber formation in the muscles protruding the mandible and improves the activity in those muscles.

This allows the mandible to be kept in a forward position without muscular tiredness due to lactic acid accumulation. In other words, the mandible is now in a forward position held by the muscles.

On the other hand, this muscular hyper-contractibility, occurring in the muscles protruding the mandible the moment the appliance is removed from the mouth, stimulates endochondral ossification, which leads to more mandibular development. These effects together bring the mandible forward through an increase in the performance of the muscles protruding the mandible and endochondral ossification."

All this seems quite convincing, so even though I'm 25 years old I started to hold the lower jaw in a edge to edge position with the upper incisors , in the hope of improving at least a little bit my deep bite. 

I hope it works 🤞

Posted : 07/02/2020 7:18 pm
max iller liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I have been doing this since earlier last year and I feel like my bite is becoming more open. Plus, most people "jutting" are just holding their mandible in the proper condylar position as if their maxilla wasn't underdeveloped.

Only reason I even discovered this was because I have 14 teeth on the bottom and 16 on the top. So holding my mandible in that unnatural bite holds it too far back. Plus when you do this, your tongue covers more space on your palate. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2020 8:29 pm
max iller liked
sinned
Estimable Member

This is bull, this appliance isn't any more special than other overjet/class 2 appliances like a twin block or herbst appliance. The mechanism by which the class 2 is fixed isn't how it's explained, it simply moves the lower jaw forward and upper jaw back, like every other class 2 appliance, including orthodontic bands.

https://www.angle.org/doi/pdf/10.2319/052708-281.1

This study explains the mechanism by which the herbst appliance works and it's biomechanical effects, this appliance basically does the same thing as every other class 2 appliance like the twin block or what you're linking here. Unlike what this article is suggesting, these appliances don't work by adapting the muscles to hold the jaw/condyle further in the TMJ, it remodels the upper and lower jaw so they meet in a normal bite, by anchoring to the maxilla/upper jaw they can move the lower jaw forward, as a consequence the upper jaw is moved back. Your musculature in the first place is a consequence of the jaws, if the condyle is too far back it's probably because it doesn't have enough room to come forward due to a lacking maxilla. These class 2 appliances anchor to the maxilla, the force that moves the lower jaw forward consequently moves the upper jaw back, which is exactly what you don't want if your condyle is too far back in the TMJ. Jutting by itself will do nothing and you shouldn't be holding yourself in an edge to edge bite. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2020 11:54 pm
Sceriff
Eminent Member
Posted by: @sinned

Your musculature in the first place is a consequence of the jaws, if the condyle is too far back it's probably because it doesn't have enough room to come forward due to a lacking maxilla.

That's exactly what's happening to me.

I think my retroclined upper incisors hold my jaw too far back. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2020 7:42 am
FanaticMind

@scerif

can somebody explain why it is like that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2020 8:09 pm
Sceriff liked
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @fanaticmind

@scerif

Too much clockwise rotation. Maybe chews too much on molars? Probably has a short face pattern. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2020 8:40 pm
LimitlessExpansion

I have the same issue. 

I was always sleeping with closed mouth but my lower jaw hanging around. I think the lips incline the teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2020 5:57 pm
Sceriff
Eminent Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney
Posted by: @fanaticmind

@scerif

Too much clockwise rotation. Maybe chews too much on molars? Probably has a short face pattern. 

No, I don't have a short face, it's actually well proportioned. 

I just have this serious tooth problem that I don't know how to fix. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2020 7:08 pm