NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Afraid of mewing too hard sometimes?  

RSS
RamonT
Trusted Member

I am, especially When I'm doing heavy deadlifting. I mew passive during the repeats and then hard during my 1 1/2-2 minutes break, boy!, i mew so hard that i feel as if my skull, zygos and temporal bones were about to crack, and the the b***s of my eyes were about to pop out. I can also hear and see better, it's as if my hearing opens up much more and gets into a higher mode to hear better and clearer.

How about you guys?

Posted : 19/12/2018 7:50 pm
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member

This is the first time I hear about something this intense, but unlike what forum members call "hard mewing", I think this is good because its not being forced and it only last few seconds. It's probably the result of your entire body putting an effort and your tongue pushing against your recessed maxilla. 

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2018 11:32 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

This is the first time I hear about something this intense, but unlike what forum members call "hard mewing", I think this is good because its not being forced and it only last few seconds. It's probably the result of your entire body putting an effort and your tongue pushing against your recessed maxilla. 

Right on bro!,

That's exactly what happens. During the repeats, as i go down i breath in and on my way up i breath out, all that, while passive mewing. As you mentioned, the whole tension in the body , the tongue sealed on the maxilla and the breathing, get the head on fire/really hot indeed. And that is somewhat the warm up for the  hard mewing during the resting time.

I hope you guys whom go to the gym try it, it is an amazing and scaring feeling at the same time, because while it's happening you have to ask yourself, what if i press a bit harder and skull cracks ?, ok, go slow on this one and on the other set i'll press a bit harder. Yes, that's my head debating =_=.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 12:51 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@RamonT If you open your jaws fully are you able to get the tip of your tongue on the incisive papilla? I think my tongue tie is keeping me from exerting the kind of pressure you're describing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 4:01 am
Abdulrahman
Reputable Member
Posted by: Pame

@RamonT If you open your jaws fully are you able to get the tip of your tongue on the incisive papilla? I think my tongue tie is keeping me from exerting the kind of pressure you're describing.

I personally can, and a little bit more than the tip will stay up.

my story: http://www.aljabri.com/blog/my-story/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 4:03 am
RamonT
Trusted Member
Posted by: Abdulrahman

I personally can, and a little bit more than the tip will stay up.

@pame,

Absolutely, and then some. Try to incorporate some tongue stretchings in your routine, you probably do some of them anyway. My frenulum has always been very short but i have been stretching throughout the years and is much better now but not long enough for me to try to get my tongue all the way back toward the uvula which i want, anyway i'll keep stretching and trying.

Here is a video with some stretches for the tongue, i do them, along with others that are not in this video,The video is in Spanish with English subs, and he starts talking about the stretching at the 1:25 mark:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCI8UJ76FEM&t=0s&list=WL&index=435

One of my favorite one and that i have been doing for years, it's to open the mouth wide and extend the tongue out as much as i can,i then hold it in place by biting it, not to hard though, but enough to keep it in place. Now i extend the tongue further out and try to engage the back of the tongue at the same time, that is actually a good way to learn how to engage the back of the tongue as well .

Here is another one. Be careful with this one!, I am a Stoic and like to go beyong =_=: Get a small cloth/towel and grab it with your index , middle finger and the thumb, just those 3 fingers, now open your mouth as wide as you can and extend the tongue out and down as much as you can too. Now get the fingers and the cloth into the mouth and toward the back of the tongue and place the small cloth on the back of the tongue ,at that moment just the index and middle finger will be holding the cloth or rather keeping it in place and the thumb don't have to be in the mouth . Next, press the index and middle finger on the back of the tongue and stretch/pull it out. the cloth will grip the back of the tongue for leverage. Do that very slowly and until you get used to it, then in the future you can apply more pressure and stretch it out more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 10:08 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@abdulrahman If you apply as much pressure as you possibly can with the back of your tongue are you able to get sensations like what Ramon describes? I feel like Im not able to achieve satisfying amounts of pressure no matter how hard I try. I do see the changes in neck area when I engage the back of my tongue so Im fairly certain Im doing it right.

@ramont From my understanding stretching doesen't help in the case of a ptt as the tongue is literally tied down to the bottom of the mouth? I tried doing the second stretch demonstrated in the video, and I could feel my tongue getting longer. Not sure if its really the same things as my tongue getting more flexible and gaining more ROM though. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 3:43 pm
RamonT
Trusted Member

@abdulrahman If you apply as much pressure as you possibly can with the back of your tongue are you able to get sensations like what Ramon describes? I feel like Im not able to achieve satisfying amounts of pressure no matter how hard I try. I do see the changes in neck area when I engage the back of my tongue so Im fairly certain Im doing it right.

@ramont From my understanding stretching doesen't help in the case of a ptt as the tongue is literally tied down to the bottom of the mouth? I tried doing the second stretch demonstrated in the video, and I could feel my tongue getting longer. Not sure if its really the same things as my tongue getting more flexible and gaining more ROM though. 

Hi Pame,

You're going at it, it will stretch eventually, just keep doing the stretches that seems to work for you. If you can roll the tip of your tongue back at least a tiny bit, you can then press it that way, against the incisive papilla and stretch the tongue that way by doing a chewing action. This is very good for the muscles of the jaw and it will help stretch your frenulum. Pace yourself, take your time do it slowly until you get the hang of it. To create more tension extend the jaw forward and do the chewing action that way.

Good luck bro.

P.S. I use a different anchor to press/keep in place the front of the tongue, and it allows me to bring the third/back of the tongue higher and with more force than the incisive papilla anchor. I have recently noticed that the incisive papilla anchor/the spot seems to generate more power on the front of the roof of the mouth, a bit more than the one i use, the pocket. Now i do about 70% the pocket and the other 30% the spot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 4:51 pm