Forum

NOTICE:

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

advice sought- 36yr old male  

RSS
SagarBNYC
(@sagarbnyc)

Hi community!

I'm 36 and have had sleep issues my whole life.

I've had a fair amount of orthodontic work as a kid (extracted teeth due to overcrowding and braces from 12-18.)

I suspect I'm a mouth breather (never formally been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I'm not overweight). I wake a few times up throughout the night to urinate and generally have been a light sleeper and feel tired the next day. I've had jaw pain and some TMD clicking, clenching during sleep, along with occasional tension headaches.

I've had some help from myofunctional therapy (less headaches/jaw tension) and have made an effort to keep my lips closed and nasal breathe as much as possible. However my sleep is still inconsistent not always restorative.

When I breathe through my nose, I don't feel much resistance or blockages and can breath deep. Does that mean that my sleep issues wouldn't be fixed by palatal expansion? I understand that expansion will open up the airways so one can breathe easier through the nose.

Also, I've been learning about the buteyko method too. According to it's philosophy, less air is needed, not more, so, again, do I really need a bigger airway?

Any and all guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance. So glad I found these forums!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2018 5:11 pm
SweetLucifer
(@sweetlucifer)

Well you said you always seem to be tired when you wake up, that's likely because breathing is becoming a chore for your body when you sleep.  The buteyko method is interesting, the body can adjust itself to breath less when there isn't much air available, however a lack of sufficient oxygen causes many problems. Yes palate expansions would fix your sleeping issues but I'm worried that you have had your molars extracted(you can't mew with extracted molars). Also you're nearly in your 40s and changing the function and form of bones becomes harder. If you've been mewing for a while and you still have jaw pain and the clicking then I would recommend seeing a professional.

Also stop drinking water before you go to bed!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2018 9:39 pm
poliq
(@poliq)

There are several tips that can help address insomnia, so that you can start experiencing that clean, fresh-start feeling once again.:)Your electronic devices need to be off and out of sight. Not only do they remind us of work and unfinished business, but even the small blinking lights on a dvd player or the numbers on a digital clock can affect your quality of sleep. The EMFs and RFs the devices emit can also interfere with deep sleep. Make your room as device-free as possible.Get blackout curtains. Streetlights and car lights can also confuse your brain and affect the amount of melatonin produced. (Melatonin is the hormone that regulates your sleep/wake cycles.) Make sure your room is dark.Invest in a nice, soft comfy pillow and mattress (here are some useful reviews https://sleepmentor.net/best-latex-mattress/ )  Get some more magnesium in your diet. Many swear by it! You can find it in foods like spinach, chard, yogurt and black beans. You can also buy it in spray form and give yourself a squirt or two before bed. Tweak your diet. Sweet dreams, all

all is well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2018 12:09 am SweetLucifer liked
SagarBNYC
(@sagarbnyc)

Appreciate the reply! To clarify, are you saying my extracted molars would limit the benefits of palatal expansion? I'm also considering a CPAP or something. Either way, gonna talk to a professional soon. Hoping to find one I can trust, as this is an emerging area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2018 10:47 am
SweetLucifer
(@sweetlucifer)

Do not get CPAP. Cpap will help you sleep a little better, but it will not fix the problems causing your sleep apnea and it will worsens these problems to the extent that your life could be shortend. Yes I am saying extracted molars will prohibit palatal expansion since your tongue needs to push on the sides of the teeth and the roof. I've read of a person had dental implants and was able to mew if you want to try that. Someone might come up with a better solution though, someone a little more knowledgeable than me hopefully. I wish you the best Sagar c:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2018 12:46 pm
Couda
(@couda)
Eminent Member
Posted by: SweetLucifer

Yes palate expansions would fix your sleeping issues but I'm worried that you have had your molars extracted(you can't mew with extracted molars). 

No, lol. Mew said it himself that extracted teeth is not really a problem if one wants to mew. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2018 2:38 pm
SweetLucifer
(@sweetlucifer)
Posted by: Couda

Yes palate expansions would fix your sleeping issues but I'm worried that you have had your molars extracted(you can't mew with extracted molars). 

No, lol. Mew said it himself that extracted teeth is not really a problem if one wants to mew. 

Oh I always thought mew's father had a long face because he couldn't mew due to the extractions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2018 2:15 am
Couda
(@couda)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Couda

Oh I always thought mew's father had a long face because he couldn't mew due to the extractions.

Teeth extractions can definitely narrow the palate but as long as it is not too narrow, its not very hard to put the tongue up on the palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2018 2:29 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register