Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Advice for fixing TMJ caused by bad attempt at mewing and chewing.  

RSS
JawShrunk123

Back story-  i discovered mewing a few months ago, and watched this dudes video on youtube. Basically it said if you have an overbite, jut your chin out so the insisors meet, and hard mew, and this dude in the comments said it was  away of keeping the jaw muscles active, hence a jawline after sometime.

Ok. now. Here is what I did- jutted my chin out, tensed my jaw muscles, and attempted to hard mew. And chewed a lot. Kept this up for like 3 months until one day, I woke up with my jaw deviating to one side. I had a hard time balancing and walking, like my whole body was thrown out of wack. I thought I messed up my teeth and stuff, but only after a long time did i find it was tmj.

even though this happened a few months ago, and I quit all my bad habits, I still have tmj. No pain. But dysfunction. I have  a constant pressure around my skull, I forgot how I used to place my tongue and my tongue and jaw are out of wack, like idk whaat my normal posture is. The only way i can desribe it im in an isometric contraction between my tongue and jaw, and my hyoid goes downwards whenever this happens.

It was way worse before, way way worse. but anyway, how can i help fix this. Even though i forgot how to use my facial muscles, idk what to do i can not trust myself to correct this on my own.

PS. i also forgot how to swallow like a normal person.  I legit dont know how to. This is not a troll, i actually need help.

Posted : 19/10/2019 2:07 am
Progress
Member Moderator

Jutting to fix an overbite can seem logical, but it doesn't necessarily work out. I found it the hard way too. It's noteworthy that about a third of deep bites among individuals with long-face pattern are actually hidden anterior open bites, which means that often the premaxillary teeth already are very forwardly positioned in the palate - so much that the mandibular arch falls short and forms the overbite.

What I have found to be the least problematic way to keep the teeth together is biting upwards and backwards towards the last maxillary molar. Depending on the state of your occlusion, your bicuspids may lock together a little before the back-most molars come into proper contact. Biting like this should slightly activate the temporalis on each side, which as the strongest TMJ-related muscle on your body have the largest postural role of all masticatory muscles. When you are jutting forward, the temporalii hardly activate at all. Biting backward may appear like it would only cause more TMJ problems, but at least in my case this has only made the TMJ healthier and bite a little less deep. Exercise caution though, your situation may be different.

Finally, make sure that you have a competent lip seal going on, as this too influences the dynamics of the head, tongue and jaw. First suck your lips and cheeks against your teeth until you can feel the muscles at the back of your neck activate, then back off a little while trying to maintain this dynamic. The lip seal basically creates a force that travels throughout your neck and the base of your skull, stabilizing head posture. In the case of open bite, the guidance from lips ought to also shift the premaxillary teeth to their intended positioning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2019 11:03 am
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

Re-learning proper tongue posture and swallowing will probably take some time and practice. Really try and isolate the back of the tongue that lifts the hyoid bone. When you swallow, bite down slightly.

Since it sounds like you do not know what your normal biting posture is at the moment, I would try and leave your teeth slightly apart while in a relaxed normal posture.  Focus on keeping all the muscles in your jaw and face relaxed.

The right side of my jaw used to not track properly but mewing completely fixed it. Curing TMJ and jaw issues seems like a very common theme amongst the mewing community. If you can get the proper mechanics down I'm sure it will be the same for you.

You could also try the exercise in this video… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo_T0qkNDwM&list=PLdPA2YfnaSp3sFobqSi2gKUO1IhdnzTuc&index=29&t=0s

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2019 1:30 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

...and go back to basics with the mew push swallow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcI8CvoFxfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKaW3zNIuWY

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2019 5:24 pm
RamonT
Eminent Member
Posted by: @jawshrunk123

Back story-  i discovered mewing a few months ago, and watched this dudes video on youtube. Basically it said if you have an overbite, jut your chin out so the insisors meet, and hard mew, and this dude in the comments said it was  away of keeping the jaw muscles active, hence a jawline after sometime.

Ok. now. Here is what I did- jutted my chin out, tensed my jaw muscles, and attempted to hard mew. And chewed a lot. Kept this up for like 3 months until one day, I woke up with my jaw deviating to one side. I had a hard time balancing and walking, like my whole body was thrown out of wack. I thought I messed up my teeth and stuff, but only after a long time did i find it was tmj.

even though this happened a few months ago, and I quit all my bad habits, I still have tmj. No pain. But dysfunction. I have  a constant pressure around my skull, I forgot how I used to place my tongue and my tongue and jaw are out of wack, like idk whaat my normal posture is. The only way i can desribe it im in an isometric contraction between my tongue and jaw, and my hyoid goes downwards whenever this happens.

It was way worse before, way way worse. but anyway, how can i help fix this. Even though i forgot how to use my facial muscles, idk what to do i can not trust myself to correct this on my own.

PS. i also forgot how to swallow like a normal person.  I legit dont know how to. This is not a troll, i actually need help.

There you go, buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHxdj7uN-H8

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2019 11:03 pm
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register